HybridZ

8.8 or 9" rear ends, who has done it.

Guest zfan

Well I am sick of the IRS rear end in my Z. I have given up on getting parts to rebuild a 3.70 ZXT LSD. I am seriously entertaining the installation of a 8.8 or maybe a 9" rear end.

I need a set up that can take 500 rwhp and not fatigue and break. My current set up is just not up to the task. I have the complete 3.70 zxt lsd swap in my 240Z with cv's, billet adapters, 280 stubs and rear disc brake swap.

I have replaced 2 lower control arms due to breakage in the past as well, not to mention half shafts before the swap. Don't know if the r230 is worth the work and will cost just as much to swap it as a 8.8 with true trac and 355 gears.

If anyone has gone down this road I would appreciate any imput you could give. I have friends who did the 9" swap into a 280Z and 2 Jenson Healy's and they throw down the power with no worries at all.

Thanks

Mike Worth

In my Z before my current one I did a back half with 2X3 rails, a 4 link and the stock front suspension. Worked out pretty good, mid 9's on the back half Z. The new one with a full tube chassis wacked anothe second off the old back half set up. Put in a nine inch and don't worry about breaking the irs stuff.

Japtin,

What would be a realistic price/cost to do a 9" or 8.8 swap in a Z. Having never done this before I am working up the list but am sure I will miss some things.

I am guessing 2k for now but no telling!

Mike

• 5 months later...
Guest Gr8White

Dr. Hunt was in the process of detailing the "How to" part of a 8.8/ 9" rear conversion in ACAD using a ladder bar setup, and then later was also going to document a 4 link 9" setup. I haven't seen anything yet, and I feel like a friggin buzzard as many times as I've been circling this forum for this writeup. I'm sure when he gets a chance he'll get to this. There is no way I'm hitting the strip without a solid rear in my Z...

• 4 months later...

I have a one-off Morrison custom rear 4-Link Clip with a cut down Ford 9" in my '72 MuscleZ. I had a new Currie 9+ rear end built with 4:11 gears in a Detroit Locker set up. Also, new Currie 31 Spline axles were cut. To finish it off you will need an 8-12 point roll cage, tin kit and wheel tub kit. There were a few other goodies included, but the cost for everything from Morrison including shipping WA to CA was around $3,600. The Currie 9+ third member and axles were $1,400. Wilwood rear disc braks were another $700. If you can weld and have access to one, that will save you some money. My clip was spec'd for Ultra Wide Mickey Thompson Pro Sport: 29"x18.5"x15" mounted on Centerline 15"x15" ConvoPros. It's a bit pricey to do the conversion, but after its done...nothing else really compaires. Here are some PICS...

im000098.jpg

im000101.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

CIMG1679.jpg

im000121.jpg

Enjoy! VAN

Guest Gr8White
Why is that?

Well, I hammer the hell out of everything I drive and don't want to worry about breaking the IRS. I know there are many out there that have a high power car and IRS, and some of these IRS's live to fight another day- but IMHO it's a bomb waiting to explode. I drive to the track and don't want to leave my ride behind when it breaks. I'm not concerned about corner carving and I also want to be legal when racing this car at the track. Every track I know frowns at an IRS at the ET's I plan on running, and will kick you off after 1 pass... 600 rwhp @ 2800 lbs should be good for 6.20's and high 9's- and that will get you booted in a hurry, and a T-56 will torque shock the chassis like a transbrake car or worse. YIKES!

Besides, a have a high powered fox body Stang so I'm used to it handling like a go cart!

Guest Gr8White
BS, with the proper safety equipment, you will not get booted for IRS when in the 9's.

That may be true with some tracks certainly, but not always the case. I'm not sure of the ET, but there is certainly an ET cutoff for IRS cars in the NHRA rulebook for sanctioned tracks. I should rephrase my statement and say you could get booted in a hurry. I think the cutoff is 10.99 but I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows this for sure. Maybe the rules have changed???

The reason I say this because I have seen it happen firsthand at Texas Motorplex in Ennis, Tx. I rolled up in pre race tech and they were giving a guy hell in a Supra for running too fast and were warning him not to repeat the ET/mph he had just run. Both of the tech guys had been under the car.. I looked around, saw a full cage in the car and the guy had a full fire suit, neck collar, etc. and everything looked to be in order, so much so that I was worried that mine might not pass... The guy had an NHRA license that he offered, and the car was sporting a parachute. The guy was being a little bit argumentative but I only heard just the tail end of the discussion so there may have been something else going on- but since he looked "legal" I inquired as too why he was being warned and all the tech official said was "That damned IRS".

The ironic thing here was that several months later I was at a NOPI event in Ennis and there were numerous IRS cars there running very fast- In fact that same Supra was there running 8.90's at around 160....Not a peep from the tech guys, go figure. I guess it's up to the track and if the tech crew wants to be asses...My point was that I didn't want to deal with it since I know that a solid axle is legal and I drag race exclusively. I'm not even saying that an IRS isn't a good, dependable setup and I'm not trying to talk it down- It's just not something I feel I want for my car.

My other reason for wanting a solid axle is for safety. I know that breaking a stub axle isn't as likely at the top end of the track, but I don't like the idea of it happening and only the caliper holding the wheel on!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a stub axle goes, nothing is holding the wheel, correct? :eek: :eek: :eek: and yes, I plan on running C clip eliminators on my 8.8!

Guest Gr8White
Dont run c clip eliminators. If you already cutting the ends off to narrow it then just weld on 9" ends. Moser has ends that use 9" bearings and retaining plates and still use the 8.8 brakes.

Hmm, I like that idea. How is your conversion going? Getting closer?

• 1 year later...

I got my own questions on this. We all know the driveshaft is really short for the Z. I was wondering if this shorter driveshaft causes problems with the U-joints during the up and down movement? The way I see it, the shortness of the driveshaft makes it have to angle up or down more for the bump and rebound of the live axle. Is this why all the examples I see of a solid axle in a Z are all back-halved cars? Can it be fit in the back with keeping with the factory frame rails and floorboard, what kind of clearance problems are there?

I have a one-off Morrison custom rear 4-Link Clip with a cut down Ford 9" in my '72 MuscleZ. I had a new Currie 9+ rear end built with 4:11 gears in a Detroit Locker set up. Also, new Currie 31 Spline axles were cut. To finish it off you will need an 8-12 point roll cage, tin kit and wheel tub kit. There were a few other goodies included, but the cost for everything from Morrison including shipping WA to CA was around $3,600. The Currie 9+ third member and axles were $1,400. Wilwood rear disc braks were another $700. If you can weld and have access to one, that will save you some money. My clip was spec'd for Ultra Wide Mickey Thompson Pro Sport: 29"x18.5"x15" mounted on Centerline 15"x15" ConvoPros. It's a bit pricey to do the conversion, but after its done...nothing else really compaires. Here are some PICS...

im000098.jpg

im000101.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

CIMG1679.jpg

im000121.jpg

Enjoy! VAN

Is this car done??? any updates?

Well, I am getting ready to install mine, so there will be alot of pictures in the upcoming weeks.

Cost. Well I have the following.

Narrowed 9 inch housing for 45 inch WF to WF with WAR center section $400

Wilwood street Disc Brakes and Moser 31 splined Axles $1050

Used Nasar Detroit Locker $300

New Bearings $30

4 link kit $240

3.25 gears $70

Total is $2090

Piece of mind, priceless!

I still have to get tubs and sheet metal as well as 2x3 tubing and the norm DIY.