HybridZ

e46 BMW Xenon projector HID headlights

zedevan

As we all know the stock Zed lights aren't bright enough at all, i initially bought some h4 reflectors off ebay and was going to upgrade the wiring and run some of those "xenon lookalike" bulbs or just high wattage ones, and eventually putting in a HID conversion kit, but after looking at my mates cars with all of the above i realised it wasn't really worth the effort.

i was impressed/inspired by igor's (007max) retrofitting of 5 series projectors and lexus is300 ballasts into some 7" reflectors so i set out to getting some real HID's and a good quality projector lense for myself, either wanting a matching pair off a bmw or honda accord euros, and ended up with some off an e46 3 series, so now need to sell all the bits i dont need!

http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/download.php?id=248

i eventually made one side fit and did the wiring (they are only 35w so the stock wiring works fine) after getting up the nerves to do so and here are the results, the comparison to the stock lights is unbelievable, which is what i wanted :D

http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/download.php?id=253

http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/download.php?id=254

now to fix it up and do the other side...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any H4 bulbs you buy on ebay are crap. If you go HID make sure it comes with the tranformer thing that bumpup the wattage to the bulb. And Make sure the lenses can handle the heat.

As far as adapting existing ones, there was a person on here that adapted (can't remeber exactly) some prototype ones the he go some how. Might want to search.

As for me, I'm gonna adapt some Yamaha R6 (2003) headlights to mine, or at least try to since I'm going to attemp to build my own fenders from fiber glass.

Edit: Oh I only read half of the post when i typed my response. Good work, looks awsome.

i've done the same thing =) looks great man. if its not too late, i would open it up and seal the edges so the light doesn't leak out of the side onto the reflector. the light should only come out of the projector, any of the light that leaks out will lead to glare which might piss off any oncoming drivers.

as far parts, pick up some projectors from a BMW, Audi, S2000, etc. get some OEM ballasts (Hella, Matsushita, Phillips, etc.). next, just some Phillips or Osram bulbs in 4100k temp. and you are good to go. I've got a diagram to make your own wiring harness as well if anyone wants to do it! (its not hard!!!)

Guest Z Draci

The deep pocket design of the headlight bucket actually limits the angle of light. I was thinking about doing some extensive headlight upgrade but I am going to save my money on some wide angle auxilary driving lights instead. The stock headlights are adequate for city driving. You just need a wider angle for nighttime moutain and canyon driving.

the lights have cost me about AU$700, i know i could of done it cheaper but i spent a day ringing up wreckers and none of them were anyhelp and to far to drive to just to check it out and probably piss them off, as i have all of the bmw bits except for the actual HID stuff i'm hoping i can sell them to someone who's stacked or something...

yeah bi-xenon would be the ultimate thing to have, but i dont know how hard it woudl be to incorporate the motor for removing the metal sheilding bit would be (might be just as easy to make the sort i have bi xenon with your own servos etc which i might look into, but this is that much of an upgrade i'm not that fussed, but it is annoying sometimes when its like, if only they were pointed up a bit more hehe), it would also probably be good to have the autoleveling in there too as atm i just have them pointed down a fair bit too, so i don't blind everyone and get any bad attention, when i have both lights in i'll point them up more as then it isn't as obvious that its not stock

mounting them really was basically as simple as cutting the back out of the reflectors and the metal 260z hold bit so it would all fit, drilling holes and putting screws through to secure it and then making up some brakets to hole the ballasts, i'll post pics of the other side being made

fwiw the people on e46 sites complain about their HID's and say that x5 ones have a better cut off and are brighter and are bi-xenon...and lots of them upgrade to 55w lights, but they are illegally bright for on road useage!

edit: and yeah there is glare off the reflector, going to fix that up when i do the other side, and also need to point them up a bit more so the adjustments on the cars mounts are of better useage, but the glare isn't that bad unless u were in a truck or something as its that high up, and the glare off the sides looks cool i reakon, kinda angle eyeish hehe and you'd be surprised at how wide the lights light up, sure the headlight buckets limit it in the inwards direction,but i've never had such good lighting of the things i'm driving past on the side of the road :D

I was looking around at x5, x3 stuff. It looks like bi-xenon is the way to go (low and high beams). They have a flapper that shields the light. On ebay do a search on "bi hid"

Would this set up work for a retro fit into some 7" round projector lights?

These are off the BMW e46. Think there worth $3-4 hundred?

bd_1.JPG

Would this set up work for a retro fit into some 7" round projector lights?

These are off the BMW e46. Think there worth $3-4 hundred?

bd_1.JPG

thats a good set. bmw utilizes valeo made projectors and i think Hella ballasts. assuming those are all OEM parts, $300-400 is cheap. the only thing you would need are the bezels, which are only for cosmetic and light shielding (for glare).

yeah i went with beema stuff coz its bound to be good quality, was thinking of buying some of those projector 7" lights too but there's a huge chance they are so crap its not funny.

i looked through the auctions on ebay america first and saw what people were after for the lights which is why i was happy paying the price i did for mine, but i guess how common they are effects it too, there should be more crashes in america (and not just coz ur on the wrong side of hte road, haha) so it should be easier to find them in wreckers, igor told me he only paid like $300US for the parts for his lights from a wrecker

but yeah, i had very little luck with wreckers in australia, prob due to the fact that not many bmw's have HID's also and it is only the euro cars that have them. the latest commodores have them but they dont seem to be as bright or a cool colour, so after calling up a few holden wreckers and finding out hte price of non HID commodore lights i decided the price i was going to pay for mine was good

btw, mine are for sale! i'm selling everything minus the ballasts for $250 =)

What exactly do you have for sale?

What do you think of this set up> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUALITY-H4-4500K-Bi-Xenon-High-Low-Beam-HID-H-I-D-Kit_W0QQitemZ8037099091QQcategoryZ36476QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to put inside a pair of 7" round lights like these >

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/75-82-DATSUN-240-260-280-CRYSTAL-PRJ-HEADLIGHTS-LIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8037639843QQrdZ1

EDIT: I just spotted these on Ebay. Does this pair look like it comes with all the needed bits to do what you did and put them in a 7" round headlight?>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8037006835&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What exactly do you have for sale?

What do you think of this set up> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUALITY-H4-4500K-Bi-Xenon-High-Low-Beam-HID-H-I-D-Kit_W0QQitemZ8037099091QQcategoryZ36476QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to put inside a pair of 7" round lights like these >

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/75-82-DATSUN-240-260-280-CRYSTAL-PRJ-HEADLIGHTS-LIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8037639843QQrdZ1

EDIT: I just spotted these on Ebay. Does this pair look like it comes with all the needed bits to do what you did and put them in a 7" round headlight?>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8037006835&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

the 1st one i wouldn't go for. the 2nd one are the same lights i got, but the projectors are trash. get some of the plain diamond cut ones and it will save you a few bucks and its also a little less work. the 3rd one is great, however, look for some that are already dismantled. buying that way will save you from paying an arm and a leg shipping and an already higher price for the headlight housings which you dont need :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ended up buying this BMW e46 HID complete set up > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8040546941&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

All I have to do now is, the same thing I need to do with the rest of all the parts I've bought over this past year.... put the damn stuff ON THE CAR... lol

You wouldn't belive the pile of stuff I have stacked up, waiting on me.... :mrgreen: