HybridZ

e46 BMW Xenon projector HID headlights

zedevan

that looks nicer, i'm not a fan of the designs that stick out, unless you go with headlight covers ofcourse...is that bit off a merc? some of the audi ones are nice aswell, i'd love to buy the 300c one but i think it's too deep

my headlights get condensation in them as i havn't glued them back together or anythign, i've just placed the glass there for now as i'm still planning on taking them apart to change it a bit. i was thinking of getting another dome/box welded over the back of the bit that holds the light in so seal it up a bit more instead of the dodgy peice of plastic i have there atm, the main issue being how to get the wires in and out of it though

the bmw lights aren't very tightly sealed anyway, although the back of them isn't in the wheel arch! i've driven on a fair few rainy nights now where the windscreen wipers can't keep up its that wet and havn't had any issues...besides that initial time when they wouldn't turn on...

on a side note my light switch has stopped working, so i'd suggest using a relay as it probably failed due to switching such a high current. the switch still closers but not when plugged into the lights...so i'm hoping i can just add a relay and it will work again, if not i'll just relocate my tempory switch somewhere better and use that

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 280ZForce

the only thing is w/ the lights that r more flushed mounted in the conversion...they can stick back into the wheel well too far to really do anything to protect them. it's not that great of a distance from the back of light housing to the tread of the tire. such lil space really puts a hinder on things w/ the s30.

that's the reason i love mine...even though they stick out, they came w/ the back of the projector already weatherproof. but i was still able to use the stock back housing cover to protect it even more.

but u guys r doing awesome w/ the DIYs. the audi projectors r up there in quality and light output...i had those retrofitted on my last car (99 corolla). should def go w/ something that doesnt have too much depth to them...like the s2000 or audi.

I don't want to burst anybodies bubble here, but how are these going to pass state safety inspection? TX checks to make sure your low and highbeam work. My understanding of HIDs is that they are on or off. Or do the ones from the X5 has some sore of way of resolving this?

-Ed

Guest 280ZForce

my HID projectors are bi-xenon. which means I do have a high and low beam. they have other bi-xenon projectors out there. but most are low beam only and the car will have a halogen high beam. but if u are worried about state inspection and want these as an upgrade, just make sure u get a bi-xenon projector.

apparently since no matter what you do, its modifying the orginal headlights from stock we're all screwed either way, but then h4 upgrades aren't really seen as illegal, and then there's all the ricers with their quality "halo" headlights so...i've read somewhere that for them to be legal hid's also have to have autoleveling and washers to clean the cover...so it really just depends how much the cop cares, like most other things...

yeah bi-xenons are really the way to go as they are highbeam also, although some of them do take awhile to flick to high beam so the cars still have a halogen light for flashing people, as mine are only lowbeams i've got driving lights as my highbeam, if that counts for anything? if i ever need a roadworthy or sell my car i'll prob put the stock lights back in, i just bought another pair of the metal bits i cut into incase i have to do this!

here's a thread all on if people have had trouble with their retrofitting of hid's into cars, the general thought is it "depends on the Cars year and model" "if its a newer can that had a factory HID option like my audi.. and you retro fit it, the police prob wont even notice.. But if you put HID's into a 1992 honda civic then police will know not factory. But if you stick with 4300k bulbs you are going to have a lot better chance of avoiding tickets than if you are running 8000k bulbs that DONT look anything like factory HID's"...so we're semi screwed! i've gone through 3 breath tests and been pulled over once with no problem so far, just weirdish looks, particually when i still had one stock light in :D

I was just concerned about passing state inspection, not really the actual "legality" of the upgrade, half the things on my car are illegal technically. Driving around I drive on my hallogen highbeams all the time anyway cause of all the HID cars here. I just know when i show up to get my 20$ inspection, they want to see a low beam and a high beam. I guess like you said bi-xenon is the way to go.

I guess i'll start saving. :-)

-Ed

This is very cutting edge guys... good work... there are soo many ideas...

There are just too many expensive variations out there right now... In a few years HID conversions will be more affordable and they will be offered in a sealed 7" housing with high and low beams.

My 1972 240Z is going to be completely exempt from any inspection whatsoever in 2007... I have to reregister my car as an Antique or Horseless carriage...But this will let me do just about ANY modifications I please...

Guest 280ZForce
This is very cutting edge guys... good work... there are soo many ideas...

There are just too many expensive variations out there right now... In a few years HID conversions will be more affordable and they will be offered in a sealed 7" housing with high and low beams.

My 1972 240Z is going to be completely exempt from any inspection whatsoever in 2007... I have to reregister my car as an Antique or Horseless carriage...But this will let me do just about ANY modifications I please...

mine were already offered a sealed 7" housing w/ high and low beams.

IMG_0057.jpg

this was before i had them painted black...wish I took a better pic of the back. but they r completely sealed as a unit how I bought them.

IMG_0146.jpg

yeah man i've see those lights at a couple of websights, the only thing i don't like about them is the depth i wouldn't mind paying the 500-900$ for them if they only stuck out half as far as those do, i've been looking at infiniti q45 lights but i'm not sure if they are bixenon or not, anyways i still like the ways they look but they just aren't for me

Guest 280ZForce
yeah man i've see those lights at a couple of websights, the only thing i don't like about them is the depth i wouldn't mind paying the 500-900$ for them if they only stuck out half as far as those do, i've been looking at infiniti q45 lights but i'm not sure if they are bixenon or not, anyways i still like the ways they look but they just aren't for me

u havent seen my lights on websites. if u have please show me and prove it. people have said that and they tend to be different.

mine were prototypes that i imported from germany that never went into production.

the only thing is w/ the lights that r more flushed mounted in the conversion...they can stick back into the wheel well too far to really do anything to protect them. it's not that great of a distance from the back of light housing to the tread of the tire. such lil space really puts a hinder on things w/ the s30.

Mine ended up fitting to where I can pass my closed fist between the tire and the finished light' date=' so that is a non issue.

Originally Posted by Nismo280zEd I was just concerned about passing state inspection, not really the actual "legality" of the upgrade, half the things on my car are illegal technically. Driving around I drive on my hallogen highbeams all the time anyway cause of all the HID cars here. I just know when i show up to get my 20$ inspection, they want to see a low beam and a high beam. I guess like you said bi-xenon is the way to go.

I guess i'll start saving. :-)

-Ed

We don't have light inspections here so far, and the ones I'm using are the bi xenons, with a hi and low beam.

Guest 280ZForce
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=106

These look almost like the ones you got.

haha...wow. they do almost look just like mine. damn, they must've passed on the design or something. Mine r a lil different tho in looks. maybe differ projectors as well.

oh well...i know I was the 1st Z (well outta 1st gen and 2nd gen @least) to have HID projectors. and i know i got the prototypes.

They actually sent me 1 headlight @ a time...cuz they were still manufacturing the other 1...lol.

• 1 month later...

the bosch kit is essentially the same thing that i have, except their products come with a 1yr warranty, as they are brand new instead of out of a writeoff etc, if ur going to get bosch ones go for ECE lenses (non american) as they are better, or spend a bit more and get some nicer ones, but u can always mix and match as the electronics are the same effectively, and you can get some amazing results from swapping lenses as i've now found out, but not from first hand experience :( here are some pics from what seems to be the ultimate setup currently availible

look at that distance it gets

DSC_0084small.jpg

highbeams -as they are bi-xenon's

colorhigh.jpg

and check out that nice thin blue line all along the edge (the bit that makes them look blue to oncoming cars)

DSC_0078small.jpg

i'm addicted to the hidplanet site, very interesting stuff! those are ZKW lenses on TL projectors, so its not a cheap combination...my lights are currently out of my car as its off the road for a bit, so the lights are up forsale if anyone wants them, it gives me an excuse to upgrade to some bi-xenons. if they dont sell i'll just chuck them back in as i can't go back to stock lights!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...