HybridZ

e46 BMW Xenon projector HID headlights

zedevan

yeah rust aint good at all' date=' i might do it the whole wheel arch but dont have a peice of plastic big enough, but it did cross my mind. it does rub on the wheel when they are on full lock, but i can live with that for now.

well here's some pics, (sorry about the size) i need to fix up the light going straight up, but not a huge issue. my plan is to put a cars side indicator up there to cover the hole and put an array of leds down where the parkers are, just need to find some indicators that fit.

[img']http://www.viczcar.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/files/on_ramp_small_128.jpg[/img]

underground_small_349.jpg

cut_off_159.jpg

Looks sharp.

However, the cutoff points dont look straight. Remember to align those healights, it makes a HUGE difference for you, and oncoming traffic.

Just do a quick search on how to aim/adjust/align headlamps.

or check out rallylights.com they might have that info, if not check it out anyway, lots of neat stuff.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks sharp.

However' date=' the cutoff points dont look straight. Remember to align those healights, it makes a HUGE difference for you, and oncoming traffic.

Just do a quick search on how to aim/adjust/align headlamps.

or check out rallylights.com they might have that info, if not check it out anyway, lots of neat stuff.[/quote']

the cutoff points are supposed to be offset. The offset is used to light up traffic signs on the road.

LHD Beam ___/ ___/

RHD Beam ___ ___

those two diagonal bits are actully lined up to hit the road at the same point, its just coz its focusing on something closer than its ment to that they dont line up

you can make it so the cut off is purely horizontal but they are much better like this, as they dont blind on coming drivers and dont hit rear view mirrors of cars infront

yeah you can easily tell cars that are just using those, normally by being blinded by them as cars stock reflectors aren't made for such bright globes i'm guessing so they end up reflecting off parts of their reflectors that are facing the wrong way etc, i was blinded last night by a 4wd that had a hid kit installed

i was driving next to an ae86 one night that had them and looking across at their light pattern there were a few spots that were really bright and that was about it, they didn't throw the light anywhere near as well as projectors do and spread it out evenly (but they were a nicer colour ofcourse), but then r34's xenons are using reflectors so i'm not saying they can't be as good, but say you just use cheap reflectors off ebay its not going to be anywhere near as good

Guest 280ZForce
Damn. Your headlights cost more than my car. Not saying they aren't worth it, they're sexy as hell.

yeah just headlights alone..lol...bulbs and ballasts were like another $250-$300. thanx for the compliment!

zedevan did a helluva job as well on his retros

zedevan - can we see some pics from the front and the actual light fixture itself? wanna see if it's a clean retro

hey thanks for the compliment :D

i'll get some pics of the light out sometime to show how its all assembled, as the drivers side one is on a slight angle as i just guessed where to drill the holes instead of doing it a better way, but that probably wont happen for quite some time.

i'm also planning on putting some side indicators up the top, i'm thinking 2002 wrx type ones facing upwards to block the hole and then putting some leds where the current indicators are, but i'll wait and see (do 240z indicators have a parker down there also? just they dont seem to have the orange section my 260z ones do.)

front_182.jpg

drivers_side_169.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my retro fit of the e46 bi xeon HID headlight set up into my 260z.... I bought a pair of spun alum headlight covers and bored a hole in the center, this way I can use the oem headlight adjustment do-dads. It fits nice and snug into the bucket this way, and is adjustable like if it had the regular 7" holagen bulb in it.

Whata ya think??

HID_headlight_retro_fit_into_260z_002.jpg

HID_headlight_retro_fit_into_260z_001.jpg

HID_headlight_retro_fit_into_260z_006.jpg

im not understanding where these housings are coming from
sorry i dont really get your question...the bmw bits are from a bmw and the others are just crappy ones off ebay

they are really nice J. Soileau! what are you going to put at the front of the lense to cover it?

as mine dont have the bi-xenon motor i only had to cut a circle out of the back about the same size, and the black bit that clips in the bulb sits outside of the housing, but yeah it allowed me to have that glass over the front but sealing the back is a bit of an issue, i'm worried with winter coming up...something i need to work on, in the free time i no longer have :(

on other notes i'm going to buy some 6/12 led fog lights to put where the stock parkers and indicators are and hurry up and put an indicator in the 7" light, but once again time is an issue, but i'll take some pics of it apart this time!

• 2 weeks later...

http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15554

not my write up but same sorta idea (this is the set that inspired me to do it) you basically just cut and make it fit...you can see on the pics of the projector with its small reflector and where they join, i simply took out those screws and bought longer ones which then also went though holes i cut in the the 7" reflector to help hold it all in place.

in about a week i plan on pulling mine apart to add indicators if i have time to, so if i do that i'll take some photos

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try a different approch. Instead of using the spun alum headlight covers, I just went ahead and opened up a pair of new Autopal lights I had bought as spares.

I heated up the Autopals in the oven a 350 deg for 5 min. and the glass seperated real easy from the composite back side. I then used a dremel to cut a hole the size of the projector lens, then just slode it in until it stops.

I bought a pair of crome plastic trim rings off Ebay to finish off the edge of the projector sticking thru the hole I cut in the lamp. I will now glue the glass back on the composite back half, then come up with a curved plastic cover of some sort to cover the portion of the headlight bucket I had to remove for all this to fit into.

When all complete, I will be able to use the OEM adjusters to adjust the headlight beams, just like normal... :icon46:

hidelectrical0131nm.th.jpg

hidelectrical0158th.th.jpg

hidelectrical0142ia.th.jpg

hidelectrical0217xd.th.jpg

hidelectrical0226up.th.jpg

hidelectrical0257ck.th.jpg

I'm going to take a stroll thru Lowes or Ace hardware store and see what I can come up with.

I have a plastic funnel in my shop that fits perfect over the back side, I'd just have to wack the drain tube off of it a seal it up. Thats just an example of what can be used...

I'll find something I'm sure.