HybridZ

Rear Control Arm Differences?? S1 or S2?

Alright, I searched, did the deal.... if you do find a similar thread, moderators/admins feel free to delete this or Tool Shed this sucker...

Now, I have a Series 1 240Z, I heard that in the later years models (not exactly sure which ones) that the rear control arms were changed.

IF they have been changed, what changes were made?

Pickup points are the same BUT the later model arms (280Zs) were made a little stronger and look beefier.

There is another thread on this somewhere recently.

Mike

You know, I was in that discussion of different a-arms , but no one could say 100% what the difference's were?

my 240 is one of the first series, the control arms are identical to the ones I removed form a 78, I campared these thngs side to side and found no difference at all, and they are interchangable side to side as well

I just cant call it a "series 1" as that is the name of the shelby "series 1" he built with oldsmobile

my 240 is one of the first series' date=' the control arms are identical to the ones I removed form a 78, I campared these thngs side to side and found no difference at all, and they are interchangable side to side as well

I just cant call it a "series 1" as that is the name of the shelby "series 1" he built with oldsmobile[/quote']

Whatever you call it, we still know what we're talking about I hope, lol.

Pickup points are the same BUT the later model arms (280Zs) were made a little stronger and look beefier.

There is another thread on this somewhere recently.

Mike

I remember that thread also

I searched and found it' date=' here it is

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107535&highlight=LCA

Dave from Portland mentions in post #15 that the later LCAs are heavier but still interchangable and two posts later JAMIE T from Richmond swears it's so. Others seem unsure.

Yea, and one of the reasons I chimed in is because Jamie and I worked together on the ZFRacing round tube control arms I sold. Jamie Actually came up with that design, and in our various research, we found that the later arms are thicker material, and stiffer, although the dimensions are identical at each mounting point. I'm not sure if this was a change that occured on the 77-78s or if it actually took place on late 74s as they transitioned into the newer platform with FI and heavier unit body and the plus up in material of control arm was due to the added size (overall) of the vehicle package. I do know we saw a difference. Problem in documenting this "stuff" is that so many cars have been taken appart and had parts pulled from wrecks and swapped over the decades...

MIke

The change to the stronger rear control arms occurred in 1974 with the introduction of the (heavier) 2+2 version. I have the TSB released by Nissan outlining the exact changes. This TSB was also incorporated into the service booklet “Introduction of the 260Z.†Nissan made other changes in 1974 as well: stronger front crossmember, better steering rack, beefier rear strut housing, etc., all because of the 2+2 model. Fortunately, Nissan applied these changes to the two-seater as well.

The change to the stronger rear control arms occurred in 1974 with the introduction of the (heavier) 2+2 version. I have the TSB released by Nissan outlining the exact changes. This TSB was also incorporated into the service booklet “Introduction of the 260Z.†Nissan made other changes in 1974 as well: stronger front crossmember, better steering rack, beefier rear strut housing, etc., all because of the 2+2 model. Fortunately, Nissan applied these changes to the two-seater as well.

Hmm, never knew that until now.

I have always noticedd two different part numbers for the steering racks, early and late. I wonder what makes the later ones different? If they're beefier, I wonder specifically what parts are. Anybody know?

Yes, there are several differences:

1. The housing material changed from cast aluminum to cast iron.

2. The pinion shaft support changed from a [ball] bearing and bushing to two [ball] bearings.

3. The outside diameter of the rack support area increased, thus requiring different bushings on the front crossmember.

4. The oil filler maintenance ports were eliminated.

5. The steering ratio changed from 15.8 to 18.0.

6. The rubber rack boots mounting was changed from a rubber band to a screw clamp.

3. The outside diameter of the rack support area increased, thus requiring different bushings on the front crossmember.

Oh....oh (hand up in the air waving frantically)!!

And, the bronze bushings, that are inserted into the ends of the rack tube, are of a different size as well. The early rack gear is slightly smaller diameter than the later ones (I had to use a brake hone to increase the ID of the early bushings in order for the later rack gear to slide back and forth in it)