HybridZ

How did you find you LS1?

Guest bushell23

Guest bushell23

First of all, you guys are all geniuses! Since about a month ago when I had my "vision" I've learned a ton just lurking around. I'm gonna turn my 77 into the Vette that I'm never gonna be able to afford and stay married.

Is there a best way to find the preferrable complete Fbody? I'm always checking the paper and eclassifieds. How about maybe a waiting list at a junk yard...?

I'm curious to know how you found your LS1s and LT's and how much you paid.

Thanks a bunch

Bob

TucsonAZ

That's nice. My first post and I get a typo. I suck.

Welcome to the best Z site on the web.

If you look at the bottom of the post there is an edit button to fix typos.

I got my LS1 from an eBay auction that didn't meet the reserve. I contacted the seller and worked out a deal. I bought it in March of 2004. It is a 2002 LS1 and 4L60E with 20,000 miles for $4000.

You can also do a search online with salvage yards naationally. Some of them are free and some may cost $4-5 to do the search. Personnally I'd rather develop a realationship with a local salvage yard that generally has a lot of GM products and stay tight with them until either they get one in or locate one you can see before you buy. Best if you can get the "works" when you do it. The more you get at the same time the better the deal will be.

Mine actually worked out very reasonably because the guy that did my conversion had a Z28 with 3,500 miles on it that had been sitting in his yard for 5 years waiting to be used as a donor for a Jaguar. No Jag owners bit so I got a good deal - and everone else got the resulting Johns Cars components.

Buy the Vette, it is going to be cheaper in the end :lmao:

I've already got a nice down payment on a new C6. Of course it is in Non-Negotiable datsun and chevy parts in the basement.

I bought my ls1 and t56 off ebay

Guest speedmon

I agree with Tim240Z

Buy the Vette, it is going to be cheaper in the end

But thats not stopping me. Its hard to get a C5 under 3000lbs, but I think I can build a LS1 240Z under 2300lbs....which is fueling my madness.

Ebay is a good source....just type LS1 in ebaymotors and sort by price

I bought mine off a guy from LS1Tech. The stuff on Ebay is getting expensive.

I picked up my 2000 LS1/4L60E from http://www.hpsalvage.com in Texas. Mark is very professional and it showed right down to the shipping crate. It had 16k on the ticker and came complete with EVERYTHING down to the exhaust and ECM with complete uncut harness. Shipped to Virginia for $4500. It looks brand new and is still sitting in my garage while I decide if it goes into my Land Rover or 240Z. I also got a full standalone harness and ECM (non-emission and no torque control) from Chevrolet Performance Parts. Picked it up on eBay for $1100 brand new.

My LS1 Found Me. My friend at work was talking about this guy he knew that had a wrecked trans-am and how he was going to pick it up this weekend. So I started talking to him about it and realized it was very lightly wrecked 6speed car ( Lady Driven - Explains why it was wrecked ) for cheap. And I begged and begged for him to let me have it. Well his girlfriend basically veto'd his idea and he decided he didnt have time to mess with it ( wouldnt leave enough time for fishing ). So he let me have it. And Luckly I was able to come up with the money in time for the car.

Ive just started on my project but by the looks of it. This is the best way to do it. There are ALOT of parts on the F-Bodys that can be used on the Zs. My friend is helping me with the wiring and he is doing some cool stuff with the old Fbody FuseBox/Relays that should work out very well.

like quick240 mine never hit the reserve on ebay. called the seller, negotiated the price and pulled the trigger. $5900 shipped from iowa to rochester, ny for my 01 ws6 ram air trans am. ls1 t56 with just 20,044 miles on it-totalled of course. i then proceeded to completely strip it and sell all the parts-save for the following; engine, tranny, fans, pcm, battery cables & heater hoses. thanks to ebay and f-body folks that need parts, i was able to recoop all but $144 of my initial outlay [excluding my labor of course-actually had a good time stripping the car]. i'd suggest you see if there's a local f-body club around, good source for a 'donor'.

Since you're in Arizona..... Call All Mustang in Tempe. I got an a 2001 LS1 (8k miles) with trans, steering column, gas tank, complete car wiring harness, driveshaft, torque arm, y-pipe & cats for $3750. It was a couple years ago, but they usually have some late model F-bodys in their yard. I also bought a low mileage 305 throttle body engine and trans from them for only $1800 that went into my S-10 Blazer. Sometimes you can negotiate a good deal....

To add to the chorus… Depending on your circumstances, a slightly used Vette will actually cheaper than a LS1 240Z in the proverbial long run – if, that is, you want an all-around car that’s quiet, has A/C, stereo, etc. Of course, if you already have the tools, the time, the work area and the experience, the swap wins hands-down.

If you want a maximum-effort bruiser built purely for acceleration, then the swap becomes considerably more attractive. But then, should you really be starting with an OEM engine?