HybridZ

280YZ Body Progress

speeder

Almost out of Fiberglass hell!

All panels fit to my satisfaction, hood hinge works (the deep air dam required the hood to lift up,then tilt.), everything finally looks good.

The rear spoiler isn't attached yet and was blowing crooked in the wind. Had to lose the Kaminari wing because it just didn't look right with the new curves.

The side skirts were a pure biatch to make - I started with the MSA ones and widened/reshaped them.

Next week we will prime and begin block sanding - I really can't wait to see it smooth and all one color.

I will be ordering some black centered CCW Classic wheels to fit out to the new flares.

It's really looking like it may be painted in time for SEZ.

Whew!

YZ1.JPG

YZ2.JPG

YZ3.JPG

YZ4.JPG

YZ5.JPG

YZ6.JPG

YZ7.JPG

YZ8.JPG

YZ9.JPG

YZ10.JPG

YZ11.JPG

YZ12.JPG

YZ13.JPG

YZ14.JPG

YZ15.JPG

YZ16.JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rick, Ole Porkchop is looking good. I really like it. I bet you put a lot of thought and a few golden amber drinks to come up with that hinge. How'd you attach the YZ fenders? Mine are on with self tapping screws right now. Not much surface area for gluing. Really like the wheel and tire fit. Hope to use them my self. What are your new wheels going to look like? What color are you going to paint it? Really looks good, nice work.

Staledale

This front assembly was one SOB to make. I want my car to look like a Z, albeit a grossly mutated one, so Z headlights were a must.The YZ fenders were modified with stock fiberglass headlight buckets molded in. The curves of the stock headlight buckets don't match the YZ fenders, so lots of sculpting was required to fair the buckets into the fenders. I then had to fabricate aluminum plates mounted inside to bolt the headlights to.

The fenders were then bonded to the hood and air dam to make the one piece assembly. I ground down the edges that were to butt together to a feather edge, then laid fiberglass mat on both sides of the joint, and ground the whole thing smooth. For the time it took to do this I probably could have made a mold and done the whole thing in one piece.

Staledale, Yeah, I was worried about the lack of gluing area on the insides of the rear quarters - I first test dry-fit them with self-tapping screws. and removed them several times for trimming. When I was satisfied with the fit, I then removed them and enlisted two friends to help glob on lots of Duraglass on the joining surfaces for the final install. They attach really firmly. Just remember to 40- grit the metal so the Duraglass has something to grab.

Ya, I'm proud of them hinges.

The wheels I'm getting are these :http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelprofiles-model.php?id=classic

Looks to be 18X12-13" in the rear, 11-12" front. I still need to install my AZC 5-lug brakes in order to do the final measuring for wheels.

I don't think I've ever seen your tilting hood before or any pics of the hinges. Man, I'm speechless---that's one heck of a job in getting 'r done!! The new YZ body looks great on there, but isn't that the Subtle Z hood? I'm probably mixing the kits up. Still, the whole package looks great and if the paint is anything close, everyone will be in awe. Nice work!

Davy

Wow! Nice job Rick, IMHO that it the best adaptation of the YZ kit I've ever seen. Up till this point I though Darius had the most aggresive looking Z, but I think Porkchop looks a bit angrier now. Hurry up and get some paint on that thing!

Mike

Thanks guys - I think that is the Subtle Z hood. John Washington says I get a prize for the most and most diverse Reaction Research products on one car.

I was going for a somewhat brutal, stubby look and think I got what I wanted.

Lots of filling and sanding to go, but all the major fabrication and fitting donkey work is done. I have professional help with the "smooth and shiny" work, as I have no talent for that and can't seem to develope it.

Paint color will be the same '90 300ZXTT dark pearl blue that the car was before.

At some later point I'll build a splitter to bolt to the aluminum flange on the bottom of the air dam. Probably good to have some kind of sacraficial material there.

The big Mickeys that started this whole mess are here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105742 325/50-15 ET Street Radials. Rereading that post, I was predicting paint in 2 weeks! Blind optimism and ignorance.

In the the drag race configuration with those meats, Porkchop does indeed look angry. Appearance wise, I prefer the street/ roadrace stance.

Some kid was driving by, screeched to a stop, backed up, and yelled, "Nice Viper!":mrgreen:

I plan to run the dual exhausts from my new engine (no, not a V8 - that's been done) through the inner fenders and inside the side skirts, exiting just ahead of the rear wheels. Re-power is still some time in the future, but it doesn't hurt to think ahead.

pleeease pretty please rehost with photobucket or something. the pics aren't loading any more. :[

Come to the SEZ and you can get up close and personal with it. Trust me, pics does not do it justice, especially the small detailed craftmanship and the fact that the one-piece front-end you see was not originall one-piece and some of the pieces were made from scratch.

Guest iskone

Best YZ install yet!!! I love the YZ flares but have always hated the big nasty bumper that's part of the dman, this looks much better!!!

An inspriation to all who love wide bodies!!!

Isk