HybridZ

Dyno with stock damper? I am I taking a risk?

violacleff

Hey guys,

I know that the stock damper will fail over 5k rpm. I read this is especially a problem with strokers. I do plan to upgrade to a bhj one in the near future. My question is. Is it likely that I could screw up the motor if I were to dyno tune on the stock? Should I wait and do the bhj upgrade first?

i have zinged my engine to over 8k before on the stock dampner. hasn't come apart yet. then again, it's fully balanced, and has with stood me sending the motor to 6500 on a regular basis. i love how people get wacky idea's about stock parts not being able to survive

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

My 280Z harmonic balancer on my stroker failed after 6 months so you should be fine.

The 240 harmonic balancer lasted about a year and a half.

I have the single groove one now and so far it has held up well.

Just for Silent's benefit I was originally running a ZX damper and it came apart and started vibrating, and this in turn allowed the front crank bolt to loosen. The pulley wobbled around on the bolt until I finally realized what was going on, and by that time the crank was trash. It does happen. My rev limiter was set at 7000, but I took it off for a while and had a couple instances that were probably 7500+ rpm.

I wouldn't be too worried about a couple trips to the dyno. If nothing else just check the torque on the bolt when you're done if you're worried.

I looked at my damper closely at it scared me and my machinist. I was having the whole engine assembly balanced and he basically said it was a waste to balance it . Anyway, I sent it to the Damper Doc and had it rebuild,it looked great. I asked if he had any failures with his rebuild and he said no. I asked if rpms were a issue and he said only massive torque would tear it up.I believe he charged 79$ with a ten day turn around.

I opted to rebuild rather then a single groove incase I could put Ac back on the car utilizing the second groove

I've heard of all of them coming apart. I'm not saying yours is bad, I'm saying don't think it CAN'T happen to you. Someone recently suggested putting a punch mark on the inner and outer rings and then you can see if they start to separate. That's an easy way to monitor the pulley and a damn good idea.

I have a balancer built by Chris Wood of EFIHardware(.com). Cost me the pricely sum of USD170. Its a BMW I6 balancer adapted to suit the L28.

The same setup is used on a stroker L31 here that has seen 8800rpm in development.

Not really pertininet I suppose but something to keep in the back of your mind.

PM for Chris' email.

Dave

I've heard of all of them coming apart. I'm not saying yours is bad, I'm saying don't think it CAN'T happen to you. Someone recently suggested putting a punch mark on the inner and outer rings and then you can see if they start to separate. That's an easy way to monitor the pulley and a damn good idea.

there really isn't a sure fire fix is there?

I just put a new Euro damper on when I rebuilt my engine. I'm going to do the punch marks and just keep an eye on it. As far as sure fire fixes, the aftermarket dampers from ATI and BHJ are supposed to be a lot better, so I would consider them as close as you're going to get to "sure fire".

Another sign of impending doom is bits of rubber on the hood and inner fenders. I've lost a number of them over the years before moving to better alternatives. And when the bolt gets loose on the front it's a good idea to pull the motor and check the flywheel bolts. You'll sometimes find that those will loosen up too. And vice versa.

Cary

ATI sells a comp dampner for the L series motor,I have had flywheel bolts back outand the dampner bolt back out.My motor was/is proffesionally ballanced, mabey it`s just the shock load of launching with slicks or even sticky Hoosier dirt track tires.Also if a L series motor is being revved past 7000 don`t forget the comp shaft/gear that turns the oil pump and dist.I busted a couple of gears before I stepped up.

http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/products/dampers/charts/damnissan.htm

they are a little on the pricey side but they are in my opinion the best you can get.

Dragonfly

Holy crap!! $500!! Is there any middle ground between cheesy possibly faulty stock dampner and these? I do know that its important, however, if you look at it, everything you put on your car is important also and we should get the best we can. But damn, 500!!

For some reason I remember hearing that the ATI was had problems as well, but I could be wrong. Helix, I will pm you when I'm ready to switch. I wonder for that price, whats the difference in quality compared to BHJ's which is $400. I would like one that keeps my AC options open as well.

Holy crap!! $500!! Is there any middle ground between cheesy possibly faulty stock dampner and these? I do know that its important, however, if you look at it, everything you put on your car is important also and we should get the best we can. But damn, 500!!

That is a pretty large chunk of money for a damper but what I can tell you to give you an idea of the reason for the price is that Jerry (owner of http://www.zraceproducts.com) is providing these dampers to Nissan to test and use on thier race cars and they will be released as Nismo parts for a much higher price, also and much more importantly is that these are the exact same dampers used by Mercedes (sp) for their ultra high end cars as well as Ferrari. http://www.zraceproducts.com spent more money than I will mention to get the manufacturer to build them to fit on our Z car engines. By no means am I saying that this damper is a must have for anybodies (sp) engine but http://www.zraceproducts.com does offer a great warranty on every part he sells and that includes parts used for racing such as these dampers.

Dragonfly