HybridZ

Willing to fabricate small parts for conversions...

I have been working with my new lathe/mill, and seem to remember all of my machinist's skills from the late '70's... :mrgreen:

7.jpg

So I am offering my services for small parts that can be fabricated for the cost of the materials and a very small fee for my time. I am not in this to make money, but need more practice. I wish I had a dividing head...

And my 240 project has been put on hold for the moment pending funds... :icon45::(:redface::shock:

I love working metals and plastics with my new toy...

E-mail me if you have something to fabricate. Fair warning now, I do not work titanium, but just about everything else...

Let me know...

Mike

I am definitely going to have to look you up when I get out there, I think it is less than 3 hours down to ABQ from Aztec.... and I will certainly have small stuff I dont want to cheese together. I almost picked up a machine at auction that looked similar to that, but the note said it needed refurbishing, and something told me to lay off.... = )

is that one of htose smithys or whatever? i looked into buying one but said fuckit ill just do the work at work hehe i get to play with nice CNCs so.........

I don't have that luxury. I got news for ya, a CNC machine is only as good as it's programming. Give me a manual lathe or mill with power feed over a CNC anyday. I wish I could have afforded some larger equipment. I wanted a geared head lathe long enough to do gun barrel contours and chambering, and a Bridgeport clone, but I didn't have $10K to spend...:icon45:

I also had to buy lots of tooling. The tooling costs almost as much as the machine did... :(

I did still have all my measurement tools though. Starrett is my friend. :mrgreen:

It looks like a "Grizzly G9729 Combo Lathe/Mill."
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike

These combo machines do have there limitations but, a skilled person can do some pretty nice things with it....albeit, it will be limited in size and the time it takes to fab a part will take longer, due to the limited power and ridgitity of the machine. I too, do prototyping at work and have some pretty nice machines to work with....after hours of course! One suggestion before you start turning parts.....adjust and lube the gibs and ways and adjust out any play you can on the machine.....it will make it a bit nicer to operate!

Well...um, I don't know how to spell machinist....BUT I IS ONE!

hahaha can't resist. I have a machine that look just like the one desert dog has except mine is painted yellow with 32" center to center length. I bought it from a company in Las Vegas called "Shop Task", the machine I bought was called "GunMaster" because it is made for home gunsmiths to turn barrels on. Not a precise machine but I did modify a Lee-Enfield into shooting .44mag. I would say I am a hobbist machinist of sorts.

Some-Guy, what's your going rate for making parts? I am about to receive some 6Al4V titanium and I want to turn them into piston wrist pins. I can probably rough turn them to size and you can sneak up to the precise dimension with your CNC.

Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Tech school for 4 years and worked in the shop for a total of about 7. It's been almost that long since I've done it as a day to day job but like Ddog says, your skills stay with you.

I don't really have room or I'd have a mill and a lathe in the garage...