HybridZ

You wont believe this!!

big-phil

I changed some of my hose clamps on my intercooler plumbing. After that the car was spudering real bad. Tightend everything I could think of. Cleaned my dizzy cap. changed location of my Accel super coil. nothing would make the sputter go away? So I thought "Valve adjustment?"

My N47 head is only about 1 1/2 years old from new and I set the valves once when I put it on.

I start gapping my valves turning the cam at the cam chain bolt, and everything is going by the book, when I notice the last 2 lobes of the cam are not moving anymore. It snaps in two!!

What are the chances it breaks doing a valve adjustment, not on the highway?

I put the cam from my P90 head in that I have laying around, the car starts and runs fine? no more spuder.

what made my cam break in half?

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7719065666.jpg&s=x11

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7719073472.jpg&s=x11

If the cam towers are not tightened properly or cam towers are out of alignment and the cam will not turn freely, then that could cause it. It may have had a flaw in the casting that eventually gave up the ghost too.

I have seen this happen on a dohc neon. it was the intake cam if it matters. it broke after the first cylinder so it didnt start at all. Another mechanic at my shop tried everything... checked fire, fuel, everything was fine then he popped the valve cover off and saw that only part of the cam was turning.

Guest dirttruck75

I had the same thing happen to me in my 510. The engine was missing and I shut it off.. Went to restart and it was frozen. The cam towers were blue they were so misaligned. The cam was split between 3 and 4.