HybridZ

L28ET into the S13 coupe

pallnet

I know I should have posted part of this update a while back but here's a few new pics to show where the car is at.

Front swaybar fix from the front.

DSC001542.JPG

Front swaybar fix from the side. (notice the custom offset swaybar mounts I made and the dented in front section of the oilpan)

DSC001471.JPG

Front swaybar fix mounts from under the car.

DSC001511.JPG

Pic of the trans mount oblonged holes.

DSC001491.JPG

This might be the last time you see this hole without an intercooler in it.

DSC00145.JPG

I will be updating a little more cause I have a little more time on my hands and parts to install.

"Someone linked this thread from another s13 L28 hybrid. How is your conversion going? Did you ever finish it? "

Is a project ever really finished when the builder loves to tinker?

I'm driving the car cause I finialy found a little time here and there to get her back on the road. I have to hook up my wideband and see why it's busting up in boost but otherwise she's strong for a stock N42 bottom end and P79 head combo.

I figure I better spend a few bucks on my car before our dollar is worth less then the Mexican peso.

Thanks

pallnet

• 1 month later...

Wow, sweet swap. Even better when it's in the tone tone coupe! After owning 6 s13s, I still haven't found myself a nice clean two tone coupe to buy.

Post up some vids one of these days. Also, how much work is involved making the stock gauge cluster work or did you custom the gauge cluster with aftermarket units?

Wow. I love it. lol. :)

Maybe I can show this to my friend and he will put one in his hatch. I've already got him and my other friends calling the L motors RB prototypes. lol. It would go good with his CA18 turbo hatch track car.

Hows it drive? Which motor was in it before (i.e. single cam or dual cam) or was it motorless?

Hi everyone, new member to the forum. I really like the idea of an L series in a s13, I think its an interesting swap. I would personally prefer to have a mildly built SU powered L28. But I imagine this motor will make the car really fun to drive. Gobs of torque =]

looks great, pallnet...

i promised myself an s13 coupe just like yours at one point in life, but they are too expensive here and either hacked together or the seller is on some serious drugs most of the time... or the frame at the firewall area is rotted to hell.

your car looks very clean and the L28 is just plain cool :D

"Hows it drive? Which motor was in it before (i.e. single cam or dual cam) or was it motorless?"

It drives like a turbo Z but more stable. I like it a lot when I'm not battleing the stock EFI issues that normaly come with slapping something together from a bunch of used junkyard parts. The motor I pulled out of the car when I bought it was a single cam KA with a bad rod knock. I bought the car off some older people and the car came from Atlanta right after Hurricane Katrina.

"well done, glad to see one actually done and driving."

Not done at all, the car looks good but not perfect and I know there will be other changes to her in the near future. I do have some mean AZZ parts sitting in the garage waiting for a home.....

"and you could never tell the pan was dented in much. it looks very well hammered. lol. "

I admit it, I know how to swing a hammer in a very artistic way.

"Post up some vids one of these days. Also, how much work is involved making the stock gauge cluster work or did you custom the gauge cluster with aftermarket units?"

The stock cluster is in place and working although I have to calibrate the tach to the 6 cylinder engine since it's used to readign a 4 cylinder. As of this moment the tach reads higher then what the engine is spinning but the tach operates smoothly so I might be able to teach it how to work with 2 more cylinders.

Thanks for the kind words about the car, it's clean but still a work in progress. My nephew told me a few days ago that there are guys at his high school talking good about my car and I only drive it to and from work a few times a week right now. I've been offered good $ to sell it more then a few times but I'm not budging. More pics and maybe some vids a little later on, the stock EFI is so damn useless sometimes so that's keeping me from driving her everyday. Oh yeah, I have most of the parts to put AC back in the car so that will be coming up soon cause it get's real hot down here in the south.

Thanks

pallnet

"Great swap. Is that a square driveshaft I see?"

I wasn't aware of such a thing but no, it's an unplanned light illusion.

27754252113.jpg?1240107730

I made this a few weeks back but I'm not sure if I will use it. I might disassemble and go at it a different way. Who knows?

Thanks

pallnet

I like the cluster. Maybe it needs a matching speedo that goes higher than 115. :)

I second that. Although a cheap GPS might be an easier option, used as a speedo those times you plan on topping 115. For those unplanned times, I'm not sure it matters so much. I used one for ages, but now I have rpm/mph in whatever gear memorized, so the gps lives at home most of the time. It does save having to callibrate a new speedo to exact gearing and tire size.