HybridZ

I Found A Cool Engine

driftz240

Ok so far I have found out that the SD30 Has a 92mm stroke and a 83 mm boar and the SD33 has a 100mm stroke and a 83 mm boar but I have found several post stating that there are no interchangeable parts between the LD28 and the SD33 but this may be because of the difference in firing order.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=20

Which is not a big problem as a cam change with a custom cam or a reweilded cam can allow the use of the SD crank even if the lobes are larger they can be reground to fit.

My current question is if the lobes are in the correct spacing for placement into the L series has anyone heard of the SD22 4 cylinder being swapped into any of the L 4 cylinders?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamNissan

I have drooled over that engine since I 1st heard of it years ago. If I could find anyway to get one here stateside I would own it already lol.

scew the TB42, get yourself a TB48DE. 24 valves and 4.8L of displacement.

Go and search Youtube for TB48DE. It comes in a big, honking nissan offroad SUV. Well, some people in the middle east turbocharge and build the ♥♥♥♥ out of them. Lets just say it shows a Gixxer 1000 its tailkights on the FREEWAY, from a ROLL.

here are a few videos you have to search for nissan partol and add turbo to get the good videos.

bike race

dirt drag race

Guest TeamNissan

Ya, I mean not even the jap engine importers i go to can get one. Cant get one from uk either. I saw one from aussi but its like 2k to ship.

I dont even like hearing the name because its such a hot engine.

• Administrators
. . . .

looking at the motorpowerinc specs, the SD33 has a 1-4-2-6-3-5 Firing order while the L series uses 1-5-3-6-2-4. So where does that leave us? The . . . . . . .

Hmmm.. If you look REAL close at the firing order you posted and visualize that firing order on the crank pins of an inline 6 cylinder, (120 degree crank pin clocking, see pic below), one of two things are taking place.

1) The crank pins are all in the same orientation as the L-series and the engine is spinning backwards, (as Tony D said, a revised firing order is for a reason),

2) or the crank pins for cylinders 3/4 and 5/2 are swapped in relation to each other.

I know that has no real relevance to this thread, I just thought it was interesting…

L-crank.jpg

Guest TeamNissan
I'm getting that TB48DE engine next, that's for damn sure.

when i get to that point, i'll have more money to dump into a full custom setup

ofcourse, N/A again :D

When you find a place to get one you let me know :-)

Guest TeamNissan

The trail blazer is tempting too, there is one on ebay for 300$ lol. As e_racer said though hight is def a concern ESP with that engine as the intake mani jacks up and then the vortec plenum sits right on top of the valve cover.

Guest TeamNissan

I would go with whatever the best engine for me would be. That said if it just so happened to be a nissan it would be quite a bonus lol. Is there any new info on the 5.4 or the sd33 crank?

Any one ever hear about the chevy L52 or L5R? Both are inline 5's and the L5R makes 242hp, the L52 makes 220hp. Thats really impressive, with a inline 5 it would keep the center of gravity back too.

No new info on the engine parts. I'm hoping to get over to the dealer tomorrow, but I also need to go to the secretary of states office and we all know how that goes. I just need to know if its going to work, it sucks being "theoretical"

The 5.4L is only possible with the TB42 block which is OHV, as long as your fine with ditching the L series, it could be possible. If the super long stroke P40 crank works with the L series block then maximum displacement will be nearly 4.5L, still enough to kill a current stroker engine. With an SD33 crank displacement will be around 3.9L

I dont know much about the GM 5cyls but if they are making decent power then I'm all for it. The problem might be a limited aftermarket, an oddball engine like that might not have a very big following.

Guest TeamNissan
In ref. to BRAAP's post, would the firing order being backwards have anything to do with the dizzy being on the opp. side?

And this 4.8 sounds sick!

No, I don't think so at all.