HybridZ

I Found A Cool Engine

driftz240

Has anyone ever heard of an h30 engine?

im a forklift tech, and pulled a old tcm forklift engine, the old early 70's tcm had a h30 6CYL datsun engine, that looks dead on the L series found in the z cars, "with exception of distributor being on the opposite side of the block, and ofcourse the stupid cam profile and head designed for low rpm , high torque industrial applications. what do you think would happen if i bolted on a E88 head on this bad boy? it certinly looks like it will fit no prob. the head gaskets are identical to a l26 one i had laying around. do you think it might make some good power?

i found a link of old datsun industrial and commertial units, kinda cool..im in love with that nissan japanese military truck. anyway, has anyone ever tryed this? i have round tops and e88 and everything i need to make it happen...should i waste a few hours of my life just to see what would happen??

check out this site

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/pit/3823/truck.html

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the one i have is ohc, it even looks like the timing chain, guide and gears are the same, it looks alot like an L series motor. with distributor in a different spot and a super size waterpump. ill try a e88 and some round tops on it for sheets and giggles,

the intake minifold and LPG carb might make a super low emissions LP powered 240z for someone, if there stupid enuff to mount a LP tank in your hatch.

it is a gas engine, but using a modern impco propane system, but a gas carb was oem equiptment.yeah i kinda figured the low rpm range might cause some broblems, balancing it might be a good idea.if i test fit the head and everything looks good, its off to the machine shop, re-ring it and balance it. nothing too fancy on a guess job that might just explode. but if it does work i can get tons of these.3.o long blocks.

ill post results once i do it. i dont plan on dropping it into a car just yet..actually im really into that datsun military truck and want to find one of those to restore, that would be a cool grocery getter.

AK-Z i like you garage..

i have a ae86 also..

in my opinion the 2 best old school japanese cars around...

haha. thats a CG rendering. I sold my corolla a while ago because I messed up the diff and didn't want to pay for a new one. Sold it for $2,000 (thank you Initial D, haha).

yeah ive been offered alot for mine..ive been into them since 96. i used to get them cuz they were cheap and fun for the money, now its crazy, the inital d kids will pay 5000$ for a car that 5 years ago would have sold for 500-1200 bucks.. gotta love it.

• 1 year later...

Bump!! whatever happened here??

I have wanted to run a car off of propane since I was thirteen, but it was only last night that I read a post by TonyD stating that it was 110 octane....... i did NOT know that!!!! maybe 10:1 compression on a turbo car ISNT impossible on "pump gas" after all..... :2thumbs:

Yes 110 octane will have good anti knock property. However it is not a liquid meaning no matter how rich you run the car, the combustion chamber will not cool down like when gasoline or E85(100 octane) is used. It might have to pair up with water/methanol injection to run real boost.

wiki info, not sure how accurate:

Straight-6

[edit] H30

The H30 is a 3.0 L (2974 cc) straight-6 version produced from 1965. Bore was 83 mm, and stroke was a long 100 mm, producing a very undersquare design. Output was a low-revving 130 hp (97 kW) and 173 ft.lbf (235 Nm).

Applications:

Guest TeamNissan

Ya this has def grabbed my attention too. 100mm stroke though? Thats going to make for a gross sounding engine no? lol

Guest TeamNissan

You know also if you have a lead on alot of them and i asume cheap ad dirt since they are like useless at the moment I would be happy to buy one and do some research on what can and cant be done.

Might have to think about clearence issues on the bottom end with the swing and also the con rod length. most likely, its gonna have to be custom con rods, pistons and bottom end of the block to be grinded, and balancing.