HybridZ

I Found A Cool Engine

driftz240

Guest TeamNissan
Might have to think about clearence issues on the bottom end with the swing and also the con rod length. most likely, its gonna have to be custom con rods, pistons and bottom end of the block to be grinded, and balancing.

That done the stroke would be much less and wouldnt that really defeat the purpose? Might as well stroke a l28 then, no?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know also if you have a lead on alot of them and i asume cheap ad dirt since they are like useless at the moment I would be happy to buy one and do some research on what can and cant be done.

I could also do alot of experimenting with a block that wasnt being built to be a running engine.. a simple bore out could be done, and I have access to pistons and rods of all sorts, I guess it would depend on crankshaft sizing. Anything from a 510, Z, 1600 or 2000 roadster we should have in abundance, (junk quality at least, I doubt that much of it is pracitcally usable) if I want it to play with.

oh I thought everyone was talking about throwing the crank into a l28 block.

Thats what I was talking about. Trying to build up an H30 engine would be shooting yourself in the foot, sure you'll have this gigantic torque monster but you are still dealing with pushrods. I would like to get that crank in a L28 block and see what would happen. I'm sure the block will have to be clearanced and custom rods and probably pistons made. Sure it will be a lot of work but its Way more cubes than any other L6 based car! That should be worth the cost, and with that much stroke you'll definately be pulling stumps.

Guest TeamNissan

Ow well my mistake then I guess. He said the idea was the bolt a head to that block though, I didnt realize we shifted to just swapping a crank.

Whats the stroke on a ld28 crank in a with l24 rods?

The reason I want to swap the crank only is because every reference I have states that the H30 is OHV, meaning it has an inblock cam with pushrods. Simply bolting a L series head on it wont work. Seems the point we have arrived at is we need a closer look at this engine, every part of it. I have sent a few emails out and will do some calling to see if I can track one down, being a holiday weekend, it might take a little longer than I want but I will find one.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya if thats the case then most def but I could have swore he said the one he had was a ohc. Thats why he is talking about matching the head gaskets and that the timing chain set up looks the same. If the one he has is a pushrod how could the gaskets match and how could the timing chain be the same lol.

I'm thinking its either NOT a h30 or since the one he is talking about was running on propane then maybe there were mods done to it we arent taking into account.

I do agree with you though the h30 is a pushrod motor but he is def talking about a ohc one.

::EDIT:: Check out the 1st 3 posts in this thread.

The reason I want to swap the crank only is because every reference I have states that the H30 is OHV, meaning it has an inblock cam with pushrods. Simply bolting a L series head on it wont work. Seems the point we have arrived at is we need a closer look at this engine, every part of it. I have sent a few emails out and will do some calling to see if I can track one down, being a holiday weekend, it might take a little longer than I want but I will find one.

I want your connections... I have a hard time finding anything Datsun around here.

Guest loosecannonzs

Whats the stroke on a ld28 crank in a with l24 rods?

The Crankshaft "stroke" will always stay the same regardless of what Rod you use. Changing Rod length will only change your Rod ratio (which changes side load and piston speeds).

That stroker combo will be interesting if the crank journals all line up with the L28 block. I have a strange feeling it might not because someone somewhere should have already tried this combo and it would be known now. But I have been wrong pleanty of times before:ugg:

Yeah, he was talking about an ohc engine when the thread started but I have not found anything about an ohc version of this engine. maybe he was looking at something different I dont know. The only parts I've been able to find for the H30 engine online are a Propane carb and a starter. There are a few companies that mention rebuilt units, but no pictures. I will make those calls tomorrow and hopefully find an engine to drool on and hopefully take some measurements of.

On a side note I found out chevy builds 4.3L V6's setup for propane, if anyone is interested.

So the combination for this crank at 100mm sounds like it would be to use the H30 100mm crank in the LD block bored over 2mm with a gas head and a L20 Front plate combo already used on the diesel to gas conversion what is the displacement total out to?

Guest TeamNissan
Acctually I was thinking 100mm H30 crank, L28 block bored to 90mm with KA24 oversize pistons which would put the displacement at 3.8L. I need some numbers to fill in the rest of the parts, but custom rods are pretty much a given.

I dont think thats true, I mean site unseen who knows what rods could be used or mod'd to be used. I mean at this point who even knows if the crank will work lol?

This is true and I dont doubt it. IF the crank will work it opens up a whole world of displacement for the L series engine. I am hopefull the crank works but realistically I'm sure someone has tried it before. These engines have been around for a Long time, if no one has tried it in all that time I will be amazed.

btw, there is another nissan engine that could have some interesting parts..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_P_engine