HybridZ

I Found A Cool Engine

driftz240

Guest TeamNissan

You know i was with you on thinking someone has tried it but I have used 4 search engines to look for even a hint or word on the topic and i cant find jack s@#t so I'm actualy inclined to believe this is new ground.

On the other hand though none of the big wigs with thier insain wealth of info and experience have chimed in either so Idk.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While its good that you found that info and I'm totally thrilled btw, its not all good. The bore and stroke are conflicting with the original info. That link lists 87mm bore and 83mm stroke making 2.9605 Liters. However going back to the original specs, 83mm bore and 100mm stroke makes 3.246 Liters. An engine that would NOT be called H30, it would be H32 or H33. So which engine does have this mythical 100mm stroke? The SD33, which has the same specs as were given as the original H30 specs. So theres a problem solved right, WRONG. looking at the motorpowerinc specs, the SD33 has a 1-4-2-6-3-5 Firing order while the L series uses 1-5-3-6-2-4. So where does that leave us? The H30 DOESNT have a 100mm stroke. The SD33 DOES have a 100mm stroke BUT is has the Wrong firing order. So basically your only hope now is that the crank and cam from the SD33 fit the L series. which is unfortunately unlikely. I hate to say it, but we are doomed to have a 3.2L cap on our engines.

Here are some specks on the H15, H20, and the H25 the 4cyl OHV Versons of the H Series.

http://www.enginepowersource.com/html/nissan_h15ps.htm

http://www.enginepowersource.com/html/nissan_h20ps.htm

http://www.enginepowersource.com/html/nissan_h25ps.htm

I have talked to some Remanufactures and there are different stroke cranks for the H30. I am trying to get some more Numbers.

Not the H30 but a 6 cly

http://www.enginepowersource.com/html/nissan_tb42.htm

I'm starting to grow tired of information that doesnt match up. Even simple research on the L series is frustrating! I'm getting rod bearing diameters of either 50mm or 53mm, both from sources that I consider reliable. Its just aggrevating thats all. Heres some more info gained from that site..

P40

Bore-85.7mm

Stroke-114.3mm!!!!

Main-69.3mm

Rod-57.15mm

PPU

Bore-85.7mm

Stroke-114.3mm

Main-68.23mm

Rod-57.15mm

TB42

Bore-96mm

Stroke-96mm

I need more info on these engines. Especially if the TB42 is OHC because that would be killer to use for a block, stock bore is massive and with some tinkering you might be able to hit 100mm BORE combo that with either the P40 or PPU crank and you have an unbelievably Massive engine at 5.4L. That would be INSANE in a Z car!

So Does the SD33T Crank Fit the L block?

A Custom Cam is a lot less than A custom Crank.

I have been looking at a billit crank 89mm $3,850.00 US.

A welded out LD crank at 83mm to 87mm was $1,200.00 with all the RISK of a welded strocker but still it is half the cost with a LD Crank running $350.00+.

SD33? no idea.. I stopped looking because of the firing order but if I turn up anything I'll post it.

Crower will build you a custom rotating assembly to your specs for $5,500. Which could be quite a bargain once you start pricing individual custom parts. Especially if you feel like pushing the outer limits of what the L block can hold.

I have contacted the local nissan industral dealer and tomorrow I will be going over there to check out the TB42 and P40 engines in person. I am also going to take a look at the manuals for the engines and hopefully there will be nice shots of the crankshafts in there. In case they have the cranks in stock I am bringing along an L series crank to compare.

I think the important thing that has yet to be mentioned is the bore spacing of any of these engines. If anyone has access to tow motor manuals, or a Nissan engine "master" book with full engine specs, please chime in. You can make almost any crank work if the bore spacing and rod throws are in the right place. If they aren't ... it might as well be a Chevette crank, because it just won't do us any good.

lol, im reconsidering my RB30 build.

L52? WICKED. hahaha. LS1's for breakfast, and LS7's for dinner :D

so if the firing order is altered, one would need a custom set of cams, and to reposition the distributor/spark plug wires, correct?

also if the firing order is altered, one would need a custom set of cams, and to reposition the distributor/spark plug wires, correct?

Thats basically it. I'm sure theres something else but I cant think of it right now.

The main bearing locations and rod throws are what I'm trying to figure out right now. hopefully at least one of them will work. Hopefully we will know more soon.

scew the TB42, get yourself a TB48DE. 24 valves and 4.8L of displacement.

Go and search Youtube for TB48DE. It comes in a big, honking nissan offroad SUV. Well, some people in the middle east turbocharge and build the ♥♥♥♥ out of them. Lets just say it shows a Gixxer 1000 its tailkights on the FREEWAY, from a ROLL.

here are a few videos you have to search for nissan partol and add turbo to get the good videos.

bike race

dirt drag race

So basically your only hope now is that the crank and cam from the SD33 fit the L series. which is unfortunately unlikely. I hate to say it, but we are doomed to have a 3.2L cap on our engines.

Regrind the L-Camshaft with welded lobes, and the crank then matches the L-Cam, firing order is as simple as swapping wires on the cap (or in the ECU).

Diverse firing orders aren't anything new to the Buick Guys. Internally/Externally Balanced engine would be the question I would ask---if the firing order changes it's usually for a reason...operating rpm, vibration harmonic, etc...

Why the order is different is worth exploring, making an L-Engine work with that crank setup is just a matter of having the lobes reground to match the crank configuration. And I doubt anybody doing this kind of swap wouldn't have a custom ground cam already...