HybridZ

glass front fenders

76brkracer

Also check over at www.vfnfiberglass.com

VFN has been around for awhile and makes mostly parts for older American musclecars. Their reputation for quality is very good. Their webite says that they will be releasing Datsun fenders soon. They may even be out already.

I've read some pretty negative reviews of parts from Showcars-bodyparts.

One other thing, has anyone weighed a stock fender? I have two hanging in my garage right now but it's raining and I don't want to go out there to weigh them. I'd estimate the weight at 15 lbs. They're pretty darn light. So how much weight are you really going to save?

I have read somewhere that the FG fenders are approx. half the weight of a steel fender, but it would depend on who made the fender and to what spec. I had the full California Z FB kit on a car, and had to repair fenders several times due to careless neighbors backing into them. There were times when I felt the weight savings was not worth the extra work. Of course, I think the CalZ fender was closer to the weight of a stock fender than a stock appearing FG fender would be... it certainly was after I got done repairing it :lol:

wow thats pretty light maybe i"ll look somewhere else.but thanks all of you for getting back to me might look at those other fenders anyway because my headlights are covered over with fiberglass.p.s.jmortensen you deside where to move to?

Not yet. Visited Boise, ID. Mixed feelings. Still looking. Check the "where should I move to" thread for more details.

One other thing, has anyone weighed a stock fender? I have two hanging in my garage right now but it's raining and I don't want to go out there to weigh them. I'd estimate the weight at 15 lbs. They're pretty darn light. So how much weight are you really going to save?

I have not weighed the stock fenders as I have not had any for quite some time but my stock looking FG fenders weigh 11 lbs without anything attached to them.

Dragonfly

I just noticed from this thread the showcars (http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html.) url. Is this company making all or many of the fiberglass body parts for Z's and others are reselling them? Like Motorsports, Jm Cook Racing and others. Are Showcars products any good and what is their reputation and quality. If they do things right this could save some weight on our cars.

I just noticed from this thread the showcars ([url=http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html]http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html[/url'].) url. Is this company making all or many of the fiberglass body parts for Z's and others are reselling them? Like Motorsports, Jm Cook Racing and others. Are Showcars products any good and what is their reputation and quality. If they do things right this could save some weight on our cars.

Just search on showcars as stated above. Some people get parts, some don't, and a local person that got a g-nose from them took a LOTS of hours to get the damn thing to look and fit right.

Mario

Yeah you don't save much with fg fenders.... if you want to shave weight. go fg/cf hood fg/cf hatch there should be some weight there you can save

I've got CF/Nomex hood and CF/Lexan rear hatch from John Coffee and that saved me alot of weight. The FG fenders were more for no rust and IMHO easier repair of any damage (I've had my car hit and run more than once now).

Dragonfly

I just took my bathroom scale out to the garage. According to my maybe not so accurate scale (but it does usually match the Dr's office), I gained 11 lbs picking up a stock metal fender. So you're swapping an 11 lb fender for an 11 lb fender.

I weighed mine (off of a 240Z, includes headlight bucket), it is 17lbs each.

you also have to remember that not all weight is created equal. It's much more valuable to shave 5 pounds off the roof than 8-10 off from the door, becuase shaving weight off the top lowers the CG producing results that you'll see in more places than the drag strip. It's the same principal as trying to get the weight on the inside of the car not the outside. Example being removing the bumper being better than removing the passanger seat.

This makes the hood and hatch prime canidates for weight reduction. It would also be nice to remove some weight off the roof but that requires alot of work and some pretty insane engineering/fabricating. So I'll leave the roof to the real insane people here that actually have skills, in wich I'm left in the dust... gratefuly of course. I'm just glad to be here to watch :D