HybridZ

t04b?'s

Well i was doing some spring cleaning in my dad shop today and found a t04b80 off of one of our tractors, the exhaust side has a big crack and hole in it but the compressor is in good shape...i have a t3 off an 83 280zx and that i just got a rebuild kit for and have sitting ready to rebuild should i use this t04b to make a t3/t4 hybrid or will it spool too slow..i have a ported n42 head and ported intake and exhaust manifold a big skyline intercooler 60mm tb 3in exhuast so i figure it will flow pretty well..i really dont know a lot about different turbos and trim and wheels and such but would love to learn..where is a good place to find this stuff out?

This is the place. Use the search up top and type any thing you want in there and it will all come to you. Are you wanting to put the turbo onto a non turbo motor? As for the t04b, I'm not really the man to answer that, more like the man next to the man.

well i did a search but cant really find an opinion on the to4b it seems like the t04e is the way to go if you want to spend money but hey if i can put the t04b on and be ahead for pretty much free then i will do that..i went out and took the numbers off of it and its an aireasearch t04b80 serial of iho205 if that helps anyone identify it and on the inside of the inlet it says 11 and on the inside of the outlet it says 5 with .60 under it. there are 7 double compressor fins the inlet is 3in and the outlet is 2in. i guess all i want to know is peoples general opinion on it.

also my hp goals are whatever stock 77 dished pistons can take with msd 6btm and microtech lt8 both have map sensors and ign. ret/lb of boost to control detonation and i have good iowa 93 octane..i dont know how much boost i can push the stock internals to but i would like to make a 350hp streetable car if not more

I'm not an expert, but in '94 I put the current T3/T4OB which has .70 AR compressor and S3 Trim.

I also had the turbine section clipped 11 degrees.

I starts building boost at 2400 rpm and comes on harder. I perceived no change in onset of boost, jujst that it built faster and harder.

The greater radius of the compressor wheel will undoubtedly cause spool to be sooner than stock if you leave the exhaust alone.

Tis falls in line with what "Sport Turbos" did when introduced - keep stock boost onset but come on harder through the use of a larger compressor and a slightly freer flowing turbine section - best of both world.

In your case, you are only changing the compressor section, so you'll probably boost sooner and harder.

I would have the turbo balanced though.

Also of concern is what appears to be the AR of the compressor - you said it had .60 on the housing - this may be a bit small.

yeah it says .60 on the compressor housing so im guessing thats what it is..the turbine is .63 ar...i dont know of any place around here that could do that work..i will look around and see what i can find..is .60 too small..im not going to buy a bigger one since i found this one in my dads shop for free i will use it :) so i guess it is what it is as long as its better than stock t3.

You need to measure the inducer and exducer to find out what trim it is. .60 doesn't tell us anything other than the housing a/r. You can put the cold side on the T3. The T3 side is still a restriction and the standard T3 turbine wheel is kinda small. The T4 most likely has a P trim turbine. You would be better off power wise getting your .63 housing machined to fit the larger wheel and use the other complete turbo.

• 11 months later...

After Putting On A Hybrid Turbo Charger Your Car May Or May Not Act Right , Meening This I Think U Might Have To Adjust Your Air Flow Meter " Mass Air Flow Sensor " To Correct The Air Flow Problem Am I Right Or Am I Wrong ? If Im Right How Do U Do It ?

My 1982 280zxt Seemed To Run Right At First But Now Wont Run Worth A Sh&t Seems To Start But Jumps From 200 Rpm To 1200 Rpm Then Dies Unless I Stomp On The Gas To Keep It Going.