HybridZ

Just because your muscles are strong enough to lift it...

pparaska

2nd surgery I had back in June was to remove a suspicious looking bubble of fluid near the surgery sight (it was beqnign), do some more discectomy (some more had protruded out) and to trim away and biopsy some inflamed L4/L5 disc material. First culture on that showed some slightly positive results but all cultures after that were negative. So they put my on twice daily home IV treatments for and possible infection. They SHOULD have been doing some blood testing during the week too. By 4 or 5 days I was having cold sweats and fevers. Doc put me in hospitial right away. Turns out it was Kidney shutdown that was causing these symptoms. They nursed me back to relative health and sent me home today, an YES they will be doing blood tests every other day this time.

I am SO ready to recover from this. Your health is so important.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kidneys ? was that from the poison in the system ? meds ?? or not enough

fluids ?

thought might affect the liver more than the kidneys.

man, you are really having it rough to say the least !

one of my best friend's sisters is a bone cracker, taught at palmer.

i'm still not to keen on the shakra alignment and misalignment of the spine being the cause of most of the body's ills.

but with your kidneys getting messed up because your spine is out of synch has

me thinking.

hang in there buddy ! weird isn't it how muscling around heavy stuff has

almost killed you. knocking over dominoes ?

good friend of mine from over at classicz, Carl Stahlnecker aka Bambi Killer ( deer commited suicide and tore up Carl's 240z in the process), just passed at 54 years of age ( june 16th ). on the 10th of june, we had attended the black hoawk event hosted by ZONC. we were looking forward to the kit car bash in sept.

diabetes, high blood pressure, ect. lost his job, health insurance, could afford his meds, thought he was getting by alright on the meds he could afford.

health can go to pieces in a few months, amazing how rapidly small changes can do us in.

take care and take charge, get those meds, ask questions.

what you wrote about your kidneys and infection really shook me up.

sorry if i'm wandering, i'm still at a loss over what to think about Carl's passing.

again, shook me to read that we may have almost lost you !!!

was thinking you were sipping ice tea, watching the weather outside and hoping you didn't get flooded, and planning the next upgrades on my z, the one you have guardianship over. :wink:

seriously, get your wife to slap those doctors around a bit !

glad you are still here !!!!!

wayne

:shock: Man, you have really been through it all these past few weeks. I seriously hope your health improves dramatically right away with NO MORE surprises along the way (unpleasant ones anyway).

Take care, Pete!

Davy

This has been an 8 week ordeal for this poor schmuck, friend of mine... Sheesh... I was looking forward to seeing Pete's haggard, broken down self at my party this weekend... now I kinda feel sorry for him!

Just bustin' chops man, Call me if you need anything... Damn, You're making me feel young! :lmao:

Mike :cool:

wayne, very sorry to hear about Carl. I had not heard. 54 is way too young.

The kidney poisoning was due to using Vancomycin twice daily for a week at home without having interim blood work done (should have been done like the 3rd day) to see if it was having adverse effects on things like the kidneys,etc. The surgeon is probably most at fault there, as he wrote the order to do it after a week. I know, people start screaming malpractice, but that's not my way. I'm on a different at-home IV drip now, and they WILL be doing frequent blood tests!

All, thanks for all the well wishes, and yes Scottie, a new outlook on life. The immediate one is one of depression, unfortunatrely, due to this and other things going on in my life - but I'll go see a shrink and get some treatment for that. But a new outlook for sure will come out of that.

Right now my efforts are to get back some strength (lost 30 lbs, probably 15 of it muscle mass), stamina.

Mike, I think a good part of my recovery would be to attend your birthday bash. I will definitely try to get into shape to be able to attend.

• 2 months later...

Just a minor update, since I get people asking me still on PM's, etc., I figure I’d fill everyone that cares in…

I went back to work at the end of July. The doctor at my work (4000+ employees means we have our own medical staff!) said I could go back 4 hrs a day for a month and review. My boss used to kick me out the door at 4 hrs exactly - no amount of pleading would allow me to stay longer. By the end of the month I was doing 8 hrs (although the boss didn't approve outwardly, he knew I was o.k. - telling me to leave at 4 hrs was CYA that I understood).

So the doc wrote me up to be able to work a full day on 28 Aug.

My boss bought me a kneeling posture chair, had it the 2nd day back, and he brought the disassembled kit into the office, and said "I get to use the tools, you read me the instructions." This guy is a gadget freak too, and a really cool boss. In fact, he thought it looked like a sitting skate board, and had another employee push him up and down the hall when he was done. Don't worry, I know I'm blessed to work for this guy - I'm never leaving his side.

I'm doing fine now, physical therapy by a goddess once a week (see, there IS a silver lining!!!) and she makes improvements in my back, legs and walking every visit - no, there is no extracurricular activity!!! ;)

I still walk with a limp, my legs are still like pencils (especially the right one that had the sciatic nerve to it pinched off in my lower back), and a few back spasms.

I heard some good news the other day – a younger colleague said that he was thinking what I told him about being careful with the back and decided to get help lifting something heavy. If anything comes out of this thread or my stories about this to people, I hope that it’s that I save some people from the stupidity of lifting things their muscles can handle but their spine can not!

I actually went from 210 in January to 170 lbs in August. I’m at 175 now, and I’m back in the gym (at work – very well equipped and only $35 a year!!!) and working on gaining back the muscle I lost.

lot to go through.

glad you family, friends, and work buddys looking out for you !

walking with a limp, better than what you thought you might be facing.

cracked up over image of manager zipping down the hallway on the special chair.

exercise those legs and stomach muscles. this time you put weight on be all muscle !

friend had back surgery. doctor connected him to electrical electrodes, get his muscles working. exercise without straining his back. he says he could tell the muscles were toned.

watch those long hours, might be like wrestling with that lawn mower again.

you get stiff from sitting ? might be reason for watching the hours. need to exercise, stretch and such.

again, glad to hear that though you aren't where you were before all this nonsense, sounds as if you are 100% better than where you were a short month ago.

you feeling up to taking "our' z for a ride and having it waxed before winter rolls up on you ?

the best to you and family, wayne