HybridZ

Just because your muscles are strong enough to lift it...

pparaska

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm thinking if they find infection and get rid of it, or the herniation is pressing right on the nerves that are causing the spasms (small chance I think), this could be a good thing. I don't mind going under the knife. Hey, when I woke up in the recovery room the last time the most beautiful woman was my nurse. I told her something like it was nice to see such beauty after waking from surgery, but she tried to blow it off as the drugs I was on. I made it clear it was NOT the drugs. Real sweet heart too. And works out everyday (was talking to the other hot nurse about her new equipment while they were wheeling me up to my room.)

Sometimes my luck is just so good ;).

Seriously though, this should fix things and get me on a quick road to recovery. Thanks for the concern!

If it was possible to hurt for you I would, then you wouldn't have to.

David, that has got to be the nicest thing anyone has said to me in memory!

But remember. I have synthetic heroine (dilaudid) if I really need it.

I tell you, I would not wish a severe back spasm like I had on my worst enemy - it was a 10 out of 10 pain, and nothing you can do but scream and pray for it to go away.

Pete

I, as the rest of us hope the surgery goes well and a most speedy recovery.

I found your personal website on the net a good while ago and then the link to come here, I thank you for that.

Anyway, listen to the docs/ hot nurses, get healed up so you can get that bad a$$ Z back on the road.

Take care man, let us all now how you feel in a couple of days.

get well, my friend !!!

in two days when you start getting bored, and decide to ignore doctor's advise, let someone else mow the lawn and paint the living room.

this should give you time to think about a hybrid rider mower. maybe get Alex to give you some pointers, i understand those rotary Rx 7 engines are fairly light, might make a good power plant for your mower.

titanium parts in one's back. used to be goat spines, now light weight racing material.

again, take care of yourself, i need someone to properly maintain my z. no one will spoil it like you do. :-)

seriously, be good to yourself, don't do more than what doc wants you to do, and get that physical therapy going as soon as possible.

wayne

I feel your pain pete. I am going under the knife on tuesday, for a 10mm herniated disk at L4-S5.

They will do a (percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Disectomy). Basically going in with micro-spinal instruments, cutting the herniated disk, and vaporizing some of it, and suction, to relieve the nerve that is being pressed by the herniated disk.

Mine was caused by an auto accident (hit and run), and it is a workers comp. Anyone in california that has a workers comp case is basically screwed because of the new laws.

I have waited 2 years with pain and numbness to my right leg for this surgery, and now it is finally happening.

Hope you recover and get well soon.

Henry

Ive had a low back surgery, same one your getting. L4-L5 disc blow out. Mine was an 12mm herniated disc. They did wahats called a decompression. They basically trimmed the part buldging out against the nerves. Surgery helped, but im still far from fine. Ill have on and off pain the rest of my life.

Gidday Pete,

sorry to hear about the pain. . . .

Im thinking of pulling out my block in a couple of weekends, can I rely on you for a hand? you'll be better by then wont you? :)

Seriously though, hope everything goes well, us Ozzies are thinking of you!

Cheers - Simon

Pete, man do I ever know what your going through. I'm sure that doesn't make you feel better, but at least I'm giving you something to do. Reading this post. So, that's as good as it gets today, Happy Fathers Day, to you and all those who read this as well.

John - the nurses in this hospitals are nazis about drugs. IF you doc writes "1 to 2" as needed for pain, you wiill NEVER get two. I wanted to get out of bed and wring some freaking necks, I tell ya. They had the pain med buttun but not hooked up for me. The next time I go into the hospital I will make it abundantly clear that the doc should put done the MAX dose only, and make it a decenton. Some of those nurses could see the seathing hate in my eyes for them, as I lay there in pretty bad pain and they wanted to then give the MIN DOSE. IF I protested, I'd get, 'no it makes you to drowsy. What, you have me in the bed with I've, foley catheter, and you feel like be drowsy is detrimental? Everytime I'd wake up to a tech taking vitals or even blood, I'd say no problem - Ill be back asleep after you leave the door!

Everyone - thanks for the well wishes' - I still have the typical, sorenesses from surgeriy. I got out Wed evening. Looks like it MAY have bee an infected disc, but hard to tell - they first day showed infection, but none since. They are going to treat me with Vancomicin with Home IV twice daily. Still using 2mg Dilaudid and 2 mg Valium every 6 hours and Protonix once a day to try to relieve constant hickups, etc.

They gave me all kinds of old people tools = tongs to grap stuff off the floor. sock installers, elastic shoe laces and a bigh long shoe horn. Also had to go buy a 5" extender for the toilet - raise lid and seat, put in place and now us old guys don't have to bend down so far. : the joys!

Getting around the house. I may actually take a ride out to see the Z tomorrow to see how the work looks and the bumper turned out.

This Sunday I WILL make the decision to go on that planned Shelby/Cobra/Convention at VIR. Wether I can storm the drive is probably

the biggest worry - then can I handle the activity level. Let's just say this old dad will do his best to see if he can recover enough by sunday to make it a go - my 10 yr old daughter is REALLY looking forward to it, as am I!

Pete, it sounds like you've been through hell and back. Not giving enough pain medication is plain cruel. My wife works on a rehab floor where the belief and proof for years has been max pain managment promotes quicker healing. Hope this is the last you have to see of that place and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take it easy.

I'm right with you pete. IO have a problem whee two of my vertrabre are still cartilage so they are soft. I can't play any heavy contact sports like football or hockey. Several years ago I was rollerblading in a park and while I was going down a paved trail I hit a bump where a root had gone under the asphalt. I fell straight on my rear and that is when things started. It was an hour ride to the hospital in horrid pain. When we got there I sat in a hard all steel mesh wheelchair for more than an hour. They finally got me into a room where I stayed for about 3 hours. I was having horrible back spasams that would really really hurt. They tried giving me childrens level painkiller since I was a minor but that was like giing me a tylenol. I finally got a shot in the rear and that took about half the pain away and they sent me home about 6 hours after I got to the hospital. I was in pain for more than a week so I never want to experience anything like that again and hope you recover quickly in time for VIR.