HybridZ

400hp 2004 Cobra vs 350hp sbc z Who is quicker

I rode in my neighbors 2004 Cobra tonight. Pretty impressive blower whine from a streeter. Ran to about 105 mph. 4th gear 5000 rpm.

I took him for a ride in mine. He said it had some pull.

Just wanted to know what the group thinks the outcome would be and if anyone one had any head to head experience with these cars.

It was hard to tell from driving mine and then riding in his. He has got some traction control stuff for the rear. I might get him out of the hole but if it lasted very long hmmmmmm I dont know. I havent put my car up against anything yet as I am still working bugs. gotta get a bigger oil pan with some baffling before I line up. I got the limiter set to 5500 rpm until I solve that.

It is just hard to tell how quick or how slow my car is.

He says the car was advertised as 4.2 sec 0 - 60 mph and 10.5 in the 1/4

I dont think I can touch that judging from others experience.

It was hard to tell from driving mine and then riding in his. He has got some traction control stuff for the rear. I might get him out of the hole but if it lasted very long hmmmmmm I dont know. I havent put my car up against anything yet as I am still working bugs. gotta get a bigger oil pan with some baffling before I line up. I got the limiter set to 5500 rpm until I solve that.

Somebody is smoking crack if you think that mustang will do 10.5 in the 1/4!

You have a high volume oil pump? If not I would say make sure it is full and run it. I'm really glad I didn't put a high volume pump on my 383, it would be toast for sure because I've run it pretty low on oil before on more than one occasion (like I've got on it before and then hit the brakes really hard and the little red light comes on the oil pressure gauge). That's when I knew that I really needed to make sure my dipstick was right on (I had an adjustable length dipstick that wouldn't even dip into any oil at first). If you're running a stock oil pump I wouldn't be too scared. Make sure and tell us how it comes out.

I have driven my neighbors 03 Cobra at the track many times. His is a convertible, so it is heavy... almost 3900 lbs, but he dyno'd at 470 RWHP w/ 16lbs of boost and the best 1/4 mile ET so far we have been able to get is 12.1 on drag radials. It usually runs 12.2 - 12.3. The IRS in those cars promotes wheel hop on hard launches and for whatever reason it just won't launch well. There are plenty of fast Cobras, but the real fast ones have gone to solid axles. In my opinion, they are dyno queens (make big HP numbers on the dyno) but just don't lay down the numbers at the track.

A stock Cobra will run low 13's or maybe barely get into the 12's w/ sticky tires and a decent driver... that is all. Your friend is smoking ALOT of crack if he thinks his car runs 10.5.

I totally agree with jbc3, he is on something really good if he thinks that car is going to make that kind of 1/4 mile times. I believe that the posted stock times werent any better then 12.9 at the very best.

Also as jb stated depending on what model Z you have your at least 1000 lbs lighter, with almost as much hp.

Smoke em if you got em :D

Whats your engine got in it? I can smoke stockish cobras with just a basice flat top 355 and a comp cam XE274 in a car that weighs about a thousand pounds more than your Z, I say go for it, you should take him.

Thanks Guys

This is all new to me. It is good to have a club behind you.

H#$L I believe almost anything until I can prove it wrong.

Terry I did read your post earlier. Thanks for the info. I see you had him early but the margin of acceleration closed as it ended but you pulled ahead and stayed ahead.

It is a stock 4.6 with blower. I dont think he has done anyhting to it. Boost gauge goes to 10 but when he was in it it was around 7-8 psi

1978 280z

355 sbc

stock bottom and top with these exceptions

WHOOPS moroso Hi volume oil pump

stocker oil pan

7qt with trap door on the way

flat tops

1.94 intakes 1.6 exhausts

508 lift 251 duration

solid

crane sportsman roller rockers

airgap

750 eddy

crane cd ignition and coil

muncie m20

r200 3.90 welded

Newly installed 280zxt cv shafts with cygnusx1 adapter

Coil overs

Toyota fronts

Maxima Rears

Roll Bar no cage

race seats and harnesses

Fire bottle

255 50 r16 kuhmo ecstas

Completely gutted even the wiring

ATL fuel cell

Battery relocated to the rear

alum dash

Here was a thread I posted last fall. It should be close' date=' but a win none the less. The claimed 4.2 second to 60 MPH is accurate (but not the 1/4 mile time) as mine will do the 0-60 thing right at 4 seconds even. Take a look:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105224[/quote']

That's just not true, I've read where it says the new stangs weigh 3900. Plug in 3900lb and 10.50 ET into a quarter mile horsepower calculator and you get 660+rwhp to get that et. That's just bogus, plain and simple saying 400rwhp will net a 10.50. I'd edit that post if I were you and check your facts before posting something like that.

Now if your z was putting down 400rwhp, it would be in the 10's!! Stangs just ain't going to get it, IMO without alot of boost!

Just checked ford.com and they say the curb weight is 3665lb and that's with no driver! So that would or should be 3800 to 3900 lb car with a full tank of gas and a 200lb driver.

Stats on the enemy:

From "HOT ROD" April 05 "SVT VS STI"

Mustang Cobra

curb weight..........3,665 pounds

test weight..........3,530 pounds

weight/power ratio 9.05 lb/hp (as tested)

quarter mile.........13.30 seconds at 109.0 mph (altitude corrected)

I didn't see what altitude they were running at.

They are fat pigs. I have run them at the track and it's not even close, 10.50's try 12.9 to 13.2 in the 1/4 stock. I have seen a couple go low 11's but never 10's. I would love to run one that is that fast.

I fear/respect the LS based Chevy's more than the Fords. Plenty of Vette's, T/A's and Camaro's going real fast. A LS1 with cam, headers, and 150 shot are deep into the 10's.

Mike