HybridZ

Weight

Guest Physhy

Guest Physhy

What is the weight of a 240z without the engine and gearbox?

(i'm working out power to weight ratios to see what engine is suitable for a swap)

Thankyou

240Z is 2350 lbs roughly, and from our "Complete Engine Weights Table" thread: L28 complete with stock manifolds, SU's, and A/C compressor + 5 spd 523lbs. So you're looking at roughly 1800 lbs without the engine and trans, which is 830 kilos if I did my math correctly.

I don't think you can believe the complete engine weights table.

It says:

SR20DET Complete

+ Five Speed 490lbs (source Sport Compact Car)

L28 complete with stock manifolds, SU's, and A/C compressor + 5 spd 523lbs

The SR20DET is a 4-cylinder aluminum blocked motor probably without A/C

The L28 is a 6 cylinder iron blocked motor.

Yes the SR20DET does have a turbo, but only 33 lbs of difference??? The L28 guys will swear its correct, but the last time I checked, iron weighed about double what aluminum weighed.

I saved more than 33 lbs on my sbc conversion by replacing the iron heads with aluminum ones. One would think that replacing the block with one half as big made of aluminum would save more.

No, I have no empirical data, just observational data.

Add 80 lbs. to that L28 listing if you are including the 5 speed. The 523 lb. number looks correct for a complete engine based on a typical 490 lb. shipping weight for a long block (which includes the weight of a pallet and crating.)

So, I remember the SR20DET article in Sport Compact. It listed the weight with the 5 speed. The complete weights table said + 5 speed which most have thought meant with 5 speed.

The L28 weight says + 5 speed which I thought again meant with 5 speed. It however means 523 lbs plus the 5 speed?

I am finally understanding this conundrum? Several guys that have nothing better to do than put down the SR20DET have been saying that there is only 33 lbs difference between the two. Am I to understand that there is actually 113 lbs difference? That could be possible.

The L28 weight says + 5 speed which I thought again meant with 5 speed. It however means 523 lbs plus the 5 speed?

I don't know what the listing means. All I can relate is that I've shipped probably half a dozen L6 engines and the shpping weight for a long block, on a pallet, and crated with 1/4" plywood is pretty much right at 500 lbs.

Add 80 lbs. to that L28 listing if you are including the 5 speed. The 523 lb. number looks correct for a complete engine based on a typical 490 lb. shipping weight for a long block (which includes the weight of a pallet and crating.)

The 523lbs was with the 5spd trans still attached. It was weighed by 2fiddy on his Longcare scales.

An SR20 long block with intake mani is around 200. I don't remember exactly but me and a friend easily picked it up and put it on a bathromm scale. I think SC was way off. Maybe they included to crossmember and rack?

It did include the exhaust manifold, turbo, side mount intercooler and transmission. I just refuse to believe that iron weighs 33% (6 vs. 4) less than aluminum. Maybe if you chose a different reality.

Guest Physhy

so if i'm following this right, some of you are saying the car should be even less than 830kg (1800 lbs)?

btw. thanks for putting it in Kgs for me before, saved me converting it.

Actually, all I am trying to say is don't trust the weight tables. I think John C. is probably right when he says to add 80 lbs. He should know. I don't know what each motor weighs, I just find it hard to believe that iron weighs less than aluminum. (50% bigger engine weighs 6% more). I don't know which weights are right, but I believe that certain weights are wrong.

Actually, all I am trying to say is don't trust the weight tables. I think John C. is probably right when he says to add 80 lbs. He should know. I don't know what each motor weighs, I just find it hard to believe that iron weighs less than aluminum. (50% bigger engine weighs 6% more). I don't know which weights are right, but I believe that certain weights are wrong.

I can't say I can end this debate but I weighed a 280 motor (can't remember if it had a flywheel and clutch or not) but had most everything else. It was very close to 500 lbs (~227 Kg). I also had acess to a normal SR20 (not turbo) and that engine weighed 325 lbs (~147 Kg) and I can't remember if that had a flywheel and clutch either.

Hope that helps,

Cary

l28weight3ar.jpg

Where can I go to weigh my car?

I found a CAT truck scale the other day thats not too far from here... and I wanted to stop in and ask but I was worried I'd look like an idiot.

Can I go to that sort of scale?

Wow' date=' I am impressed. That is really cool. It looks like the 523 weight is probably right on the money once you deduct the cradle.

Now, could you do that with an SR20DET? Then we would really have something to compare.[/quote']

It was zeroed with the cart on it. The only extra weight is the chain sitting on it from the leveler.