HybridZ

Nibblers and or shears

Anyone have experience with nibblers or shears? I'm looking to do some fabrication (making patch panels for shaving rear end and side lights as well as some other sheet metal work). What is the difference between the two? What brands do you have and how well do they work. I know Milwaukee makes both and so does Harbor Freight.

Thanks

I've got the pistol grip Harbor Freight shears. Sometimes they can be kind of hard to get moving, but once they do they cut sheet metal like butter.

I wouldn't mind having a nibbler too for curved cuts as I've used one before and it worked great, but they do have one downside. When the nibbler cuts it ejects small 1/4 moon shaped pieces of metal. I was using one of these working at a bench and the ejected little daggers had a tendency to fall into the tops of my shoes, and they're really sharp. Very uncomfortable.

I purchased a nibbler and a flanging tool from Northern Tools/HF... I use a grinder and hand snips for details I can't get into with the nibbler....

A good set of Greenlee style punches is also great to have on hand... I purchased a set of flanged lip dies as well....

I have both the nibbler and the shears. Both have their uses but, I think the nibbler is the most versitile. It can cut as straight as you aim it or it can do some crazy shapes if needed. I've clamped angle iron to sheet metal so I could have a guide to use when I want a straight peice.

Anyone have experience with nibblers or shears? I'm looking to do some fabrication (making patch panels for shaving rear end and side lights as well as some other sheet metal work). What is the difference between the two? What brands do you have and how well do they work. I know Milwaukee makes both and so does Harbor Freight.

Thanks

The differences are..... shears are similar to a pair of scissors, just beefier and made for cutting straight lines or nice rounded curves on sheet metal. A nibbler has a relatively small pair of blades that basically nibbles small pieces of sheet metal away.....good for cutting small details, tight or blind corners and such. However, as mentioned, a plasma cutter is really nice but, much much more $$$.