HybridZ

Best man speech

CruxGNZ

A good buddy of mine who I've been friends with since I was five (known him for 25 years) is getting married this Saturday. I think there is a speech involved for me, but he couldn't decide on who will be the best man, so there are two of us. Do I still give a speech? If so, what the heck do I talk about? Man, I hope I don't have to give a speech, I hate being in front of A LOT of people, I tend to blank out (but I love gatherings, isn't that ironic?).

Sheesh, I grew up with the guy (25 years). It will be hard to tell just one story. So, that's all you do, is just tell everybody a good story about him? An emabarsing one or funny one?

Oh, the scotch does sound good, but I made a promise to myself to only have two drinks untill I did give a speech, but after that, it's what will be known as time travel the next morning. :mrgreen:

I've done a few speeches, and dreaded every one. I feel for you so my advice is keep it simple. Tell your favorite funny story about your buddy, pay a compliment to the bride, and finish with a toast. Above all be prepared, but don't over do it by memorizing a speech word for word. It will usually come off sounding canned unless you're an accomplished speaker. You can't go wrong speaking what's in your heart. Just thinking of that funny story will help you relax a lot, and your feelings will be contageous and everyone will enjoy it. Before you know it, it will be over and you'll have done your buddy proud and wonder why you were stressing over it.

No one can stand a long winded story or a recount of your lives together. Remember the day is not about you and your buddy, but about your buddy and his wifes new life together.

Some tips:

Prepare something - Don't wing it;

Think of it more as a toast than a speach;

Thank them for the honor of being their best man;

If you want to tell a story from the past, make it about the two of them or something meaningful about their relationship- "I remember the night they met" or "I remember when the Groom told me she was the one";

Tell the world why the are great together and how you know they will have a happy life together - "They are so compatible" or "They compliment each other so";

End it by wishing them the best, a long healthy and happy life, many children and fond memories, etc.; and

Keep it short.

Good luck

You're getting a lot of good advice here. MikeK280z nailed it.

Oh yeah, and if you're nervous, suck it up. Don't drink to calm your nerves. I've seen too many best men get blotto and embarass themselves, their buddy, or their buddy's new wife. Not a good scene.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice. I have butterfly's allready. I don't want to do this, but I must. I'll let you all know what happens.

John, I won't get loopy before the speech. I tend to get a little bit animated when I've had a few, so that wouldn't be a good thing while talking to a couple hundred people.

Thanks again!

Guest iskone
No one can stand a long winded story or a recount of your lives together. Remember the day is not about you and your buddy' date=' but about your buddy and his wifes new life together.

Some tips:

If you want to tell a story from the past, make it about the two of them or something meaningful about their relationship- "I remember the night they met" or "I remember when the Groom told me she was the one";

Tell the world why the are great together and how you know they will have a happy life together - "They are so compatible" or "They compliment each other so";

End it by wishing them the best, a long healthy and happy life, many children and fond memories, etc.; and

Keep it short.

Good luck[/quote']

What he said.

Isk

No one can stand a long winded story or a recount of your lives together. Remember the day is not about you and your buddy' date=' but about your buddy and his wifes new life together.

Some tips:

Keep it short.

Good luck[/quote']

Then turn to the groom and say "See, I TOLD you I wouldn't mention your gay lover!"

That'll get things going!

here's my "sure fire toast for the best man":

1) take a piece of paper with you

2) begin by introducing yourself

3) pull the paper out of your pocket, look forlornly at it, and say something to the effect of "I worked for 3 weeks on this and now looking at it- it seems simply inadequate" put the paper away in your pocket or set it down on the table- look like you're just going to wing it

4) say "I want to tell you a personal story- a funny little anecdote about GROOM and/or BRIDE"

- everyone that knows you will say "oh s*&t, this in gonna be good!"

-everyone that doenst will listen intently

then say "but that's the problem- there isn't one story that would show his/her 'LIST SEVERAL GOOD QUALITIES HERE' -and besides any story I did tell you will likely get he/she and I both in trouble"- wait for laughter.

5) Thank the audience for coming to celebrate the bride and groom and wishing the bride and groom well

6) Thank the bride and groom for allowing you to be part of their new life together

7) say " ladies and gentlemen, please raise your glasses and join me in a Toast to the health, weath and hapiness of Mr and Mrs. 'John J Groom' "

8) shut up, drink up, and sit down.

Remember the the key here is to "be sincere, be brief, be seated".

the whole this should take maybe 2 minutes