HybridZ

Cross country road trip, need info

Cruez

Hey guys, I am looking at possibly making a cross country road trip from roughly Salt Lake City, UT to North Carolina... If this trip is to become reality, I need some info about the western/mid areas...

I have no clue what the area out there is like... I need to know what you guys suggest to bring with me for the drive back so I don't forget anything important and I get stranded somewhere in the mountains :D

The longest trip I have made was 1350 miles up to New Brunswick, Canada.

This trip is about 2000 miles...

Anyone out that way??

Isn't that a bit more than 2k miles? I think the farther north you travel the better the scenery, avoid south colorado, and pretty much all of Kansas as they are nothing but FLAT STRAIGHT ROAD...

I would say stop by in Tulsa, but there ain't much here other than the golden driller.....what? never heard of it? If you do give me aholler and meet up if the timing works out.

It it goes, we will be flying out to the Salt Lake City airport and driving a 35 year old car back to North Carolina... :D:eek:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=spanish+fork,ut&daddr=Cherryville,+NC&om=1&t=h

I like the beginning of the trip going along Hwy 6 and US 70 in Utah and Colorado, seems to be a pretty nice scenic route.... We want to see a little on the trip back, just not too far out of the way..

...towards the middle of the trip it looks like it might get a little bland...

I take 70 all the way from Wichita to New Jersey, its a nice traveling road, but there isn't much on it to see. Ohh yeah and avoid Kansas by all means unless you like boring plains and super flat, straight roads. Thankfully I'll be out of this place thrusday afternoon on my way back to Jersey again, I just hope the Freak makes it with no problems.

haha...I have driven all the way across 70...there are like 2 turns in the whole state...and the tumbleweeds...whew...6 foot tall ones...look like animals running across the road from a distance. There is still tumbleweed in the van' engine bay 3 years later...

A cell phone, A box (or two) of Golden Ghrams, and a 12 pack of Coke. Just keep driving... when you get tired, munch away.

Seriuosly, You could make it in 24-28 hours. OK ok you could take a nap half way. Get gas every 300miles. You won't stink too much after sitting int he same clothes for 36 hours.

no biggie.

Five trips from ILL, to CA, and back taught me this...

1.) Before you leave put fresh batteries in two flashlights, charge your cellphone and shut it off, get state maps of the less populated states, ice chest full of ice only, extra water for you and the car, two qts. of oil, one can of brake fluid, one bag of small tools, a small roll of wire, roll of duct tape, make sure you have a jack that works and a good spare tire, credit card and a tow card, and if you are driving at night in those western states don't let the gas guage go below 1/2 full. Some stations have a early closing time. Some extra food that you plan on using only for emergencies. This is a list of a few things I've found helpful.

LARRY

I was a little worried about the gas part.... especially on the weekend..

We have got 3 different cell phones, Cingular, Verizon and Nextel... We should pick up some signal :D

I think with all of the suggestions above...I also take :

a fan belt, (that panty hose trick doesn't work too well)

5 gallon can of gas,

AC/DC converter.

laptop with GPS,....

I'm sure there is more..

Ineed to write all of it down... I'd hate to be halfway out there to find out I forgot something...

There was only one time in my travels that I had a problem, I blew a tire in the hills of Pennsylvania. (1 1" chunk ripped out actually) I'm glad I had a "full sized" spare that was properly inflated. It took me another 2 days before I could find a place that would get me 185R12's. Actually they sold me two used tires WITH rims for $40. Didn't need them though.

Oh, a Fire extinguisher would be good too, and don't fill your car with oil when it's running.

Oh' date=' a Fire extinguisher would be good too, and don't fill your car with oil when it's running.[/quote']

Done that.... on a Taurus... took a few seconds and it started a blaze.. :eek:

A few days later I invested in an extinguisher....

No way would I have thought of that....

Looks like the trip is a GO !!

Purchased the tickets last night...

Just in case you are wondering... I will be piloting a non wrecked, rust free 1971 Datsun 510 station wagon on the way back :)

Still a little nervous about the drive back though... :eek: