HybridZ

Designing the worlds most versatile car.

OlderThanMe

ok...I drew up a design fo a little car idea I had a while back.

It would have a stockpile of parts so you could change it from an offroad 4x4 to a rally car to an autox car really fast. all you would have to change is springs and tire/wheel combos. It would be completely cockpit adjustable for the shocks. I was thinking a 2-2.5 liter supercharged engine putting out 250-300 horsepower. Would like a 6 cylinder either flat or V configuration. The car is too small for an L-series motor. Maybe an SR motor.

Weight would be around 2200-2500 depending on setup.

Here is an old diagram I made several years ago before I even knew what welding was. If it looks like the tumbler it is a coincidence because I drew it before Batman Begins came out.

this is pretty old so forgive my 14 year old never done cad MSPaint drawings...I may post a new drawing some other time...but you get the idea...

this version I drew was basically vw type 1 running gear. The body and cage are the only really thing I would use...it would have dual A-arms all the way around.

m36426314.bmp

it's not the fastest car ever nor does it have the best 0-60 time but it can do anything...I even drew up a floating version...

I was thinking why not have an event where it was all day of racing. You have one car and it started with autocross, oval track, drifiting (just to please everyone), rally(dirt and pavement), hill climb, mud bog, big rocks, and desert race at night. How cool would that be? 10 sets of wheels/tires and a megaload of different coilover springs...onboard air jacks...change springs in seconds.

Kind of like how they do the triathalon? I think it would be even cooler if you couldn't change the tires or anything, but had to have the car adjust on the fly to the different types of terrains. That would be super. You could just make one long track with elements of each style of racing, and it could happen every so often, like the world cup or the olympics.

haha...don't even remember ow long it took...it took a long time to do that angle shot...

I like the idea of not changing the tires and only having one type of tire.

I want to open this "ultimate park" and nobody under 12 allowed. There would be a huge paintball/airsoft field, quarter mile dirt and paved oval, drag strip, road racing track, a resturant (the $$$$$$ maker...) and possibly a skate park...that idea has been bouncing around in my head as well...

If I get a welder then maybe I will have a project for the summers off of college. I think I would make the frame out of 1" square tubing with 1/8" walls and a roll cage made out of 3/4" tubing to reduce weight.

I would probably get some rallygravel tires to use since they would be the "best" all around tire.

Remotely adjustable struts, remote in-cab tire deflater, regular coilovers with airbags for the offroad part, I figure I could make a junkyard prototype this summer if I had the resources and some more tools.

I have a jig almost ready to make up to 32" A-arms if I wanted to finish the jig. The parts would be very generic so it would be easy to repair. maybe onboard air tools. All the bolts would be 10,12,14,or 17mm to make things easy. All 8 A-arms would be the same so you could carry 1 spare on the car. all axles would be the same. All corners would have steering so there are no differences in any suspension piece.

that would be cool if I could build it for 4k before any motor or trans...I would need to figure out how to midship a 2.0 supercharged motor and trans to drive 2 differentials. I would want in the later models air lockers, selectable drive (front, rear, or 4x4), extendable snorkel and high exhaust for deep water crossing, A/C since the events would be hours long and it will be hot with a supercharger right behind your back...just the bare bones car with a few extras...

I will draw out a plan for the tube frame next week after this research paper is done and ZdayZ is over.

Skip the ac, just use one of those cold water circulator shirts the rally drivers wear. And if you are going to use a snorkel, probably just use the snorkel all the time without all the super extendo action. All those cool gadgets like on speed racer just add weight, without too much functionality. And while you're getting sr20dets, how about one from the front engine all wheel drive Sunny Pulsar gti-r? Factory individual throttle bodies, oversize topmount intercooler....really neat engine from a really ugly car...

That motor park sounds pretty cool, but I think that combining that many things into one place would be a little much. You would be approaching theme park level employee and maintenance costs at that point I would think. I would invest some money in a rockin liability waiver though. I was looking into trying to acquire a piece of an abandoned airport here in the tampa area to do something like that Drift Land they are driving in the Best Motoring Drift Bible. Tampa Executive Airport had a 5000ft X 50ft runway, but when they widened SR 54, it cut into the amount of area you have to leave after the runway as a safety buffer, and the airport had to close.

yeah yeah I know about bajas...I was going to build one but then I got my Z...check out www.vwbaja.net I used to be on there all the time but not many people are on the forum. There is lots of info in that forum though.

Also check out www.blindchickenracing.com ,they are affiliated with vwbaja.net (sorta redneck vw hybriders) . also www.heckermachine.com he uses turboed v6 honda motors in his dune buggies.

The park is just sort of the ultimate dream...

the only problem with mounting the motor/tranny sideways is you have to either flip the diff or do an extra gear box...

I have thought long and hard about longituninal mounting and it is a good posibility. I saw them do it on junkyard wars a LONG time ago for a hill climb car.

I have had this idea of a semi-dependent suspension bouncing around in my head but I think it is too complex.

You have a subframe that your A-arms, diff, springs, and shocks mount to and then that entire sub frame pivots on the side closest to the center of the car and it is suspended by springs and shocks. It is to complex and heavy for this project but something to throw out there.

I admire the idea and the vision. I'd love to see the kind of race something like this would be capapble of.

My dream that's way out there that will probly nenver happen is I've always wanted to build a track that would rival the nurburgring, but on USA soil. I've got the whole thing drawn out and i've envisioned every turn. It's about 11 miles long so I figure even in current economics it would probly cost well over the 10 million mark, so i'm not holding my breath that it will ever happen. But I still believe it's important to dream and to try to figure out how to do somethng.

My dream that's way out there that will probly nenver happen is I've always wanted to build a track that would rival the nurburgring, but on USA soil. I've got the whole thing drawn out and i've envisioned every turn. It's about 11 miles long so I figure even in current economics it would probly cost well over the 10 million mark, so i'm not holding my breath that it will ever happen. But I still believe it's important to dream and to try to figure out how to do somethng.

I've designed many, many wonderful race tracks over the years both on paper and in a computer. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of talking with Alan Wilson, probably one of the best race track designers in the world (he did Barber Motorsports Park) at an ALMS race at Laguna Seca in 2001. He said that the first and most important thing that affects a race track layout is drainage. How the water flows over the area for the track will be the prime determiner of how the track is layed out. My visions of a US Nurburgring Nordschleife were destroyed...

• 1 year later...

Well after a year... I have still been playing with some ideas for this project.

Looking for a 1.8-2.2 liter FWD diesel engine to modify for this car's AWD system. CAD files would be great.

R160 differentials may be a good option to keep weight down.

The only problem is that I'd be using 2 layers of differentials getting like 9:1 drive ratio just in the differentials... Eek...

One diff in the FWD tranny and then one at each end of the car.

I think with a turbodiesel powerplant 200hp would be more than enough for a production model.

On my personal powerplant I'd use a turbocharged FWD Maxima VG30 making big power.

This is more of an engineering challenge for me to design than anything else. I may build a one or two and then be done with it. All of this building occuring after college. I'll design it during college with free access to Solidworks.

I have done some rough solidworks stuff but nothing to post up about.

I may post some of my sketches though.