HybridZ

L28 custom intake flange

JustinOlson

Having never ported a L6 head I have some questions..is there enough material to support removing that much metal? How far back into the runner would you blend to port match? Wouldn't it be an issue moving the injector much higher or will the port centerline be brought in line to place the injector back in it's stock location? I'm very excited about getting my flange! The prototype looks excellent!

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having never ported a L6 head I have some questions..is there enough material to support removing that much metal? How far back into the runner would you blend to port match? Wouldn't it be an issue moving the injector much higher or will the port centerline be brought in line to place the injector back in it's stock location? I'm very excited about getting my flange! The prototype looks excellent!

read the "big and nasty headwork" sticky.. and search the term "port centerline" and either RonTyler's username, or BRAAP's.. I cant remember which of them posted about this, but someone removed HEAPS of the port roofline.. IIRC they used a manifold with a much larger hole, and lined the bottoms of the holes up, then port matched the head by removing metal at the top only..

I am trying to say there is an excellent thread where ALL OF That was abundantly discussed, and more, worked on. Pretty pictures, too.

Not but what THIS thread aint got some mighty purdy engine prOn ;)

Makes sense to me now. Thanks. I haven't read the Big N Nasty sticky as I was thinking more in terms of street engines, lightly modified and daily driven. I've always associated big porting with high rpm engines such as my old 73 Z-28 LT1 ( idled at 1200 with 7-8 vacuum) pushing 500 hp at the flywheel. I'll look over there to get some education on L6 headwork.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any chance that I could get the solidworks model Justin?

Looks like I could use your homework to build similar down here in Australia for my HS130.

We use solidworks at my work and my boss is going away for 2 weeks, so it makes it more convenient to make it ehile he is gone.

Thanks,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my first track day in the car last Sunday. I definately need to build something like this for my car. Needs more power as I was maxed out in 5th half way down the straights as it wouldn't rev any harder.

Any help Justin????

• 2 weeks later...

The test fit flange is supposed to be in the mail this week with the plenum base. From there I'm going to find a different machinist to do the production run. We'll see, maybe he'll bust them out for me once he has everything finished. The tool paths are all finished in mastercam for both parts. He should just have to run the material through his machines at this point.

Justin

• Administrators
Is there anybody out there with head dimensions for all ports, studs etc?

(I work in metric, but am willing to convert from imperial)

And, are they willing to share them with me?

How much is it worth to you? :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
How much is it worth to you? :wink:

A big thank you :mrgreen:.

I have the ability to measure the head, but I have a 4 month old daughter who requires more attention than my toys do.......

I've also changed directions in where I am heading. i am now looking at making ITB's as they look, sound and go better that a single TB.

The test fit flange is supposed to be in the mail this week with the plenum base. From there I'm going to find a different machinist to do the production run. We'll see, maybe he'll bust them out for me once he has everything finished. The tool paths are all finished in mastercam for both parts. He should just have to run the material through his machines at this point.

Justin

I am sure you still have my buddy's quote. peace.