HybridZ

The trip from Utah to North Carolina starts tomorrow

Cruez

Well guys... the tension is building...

The plane leaves tomorrow evening. We will be arriving in Salt Lake City around 2:15 AM Saturday morning.. We hope to start the drive back to North Carolina around lunchtime or so. The current owner says the exhaust has a leak so I think I will have a pipe and muffler put on before starting out.. (don't want to be sucking fumes for 2000 miles :) )

For those that don't know the reasoning behind this trip, I am buying a '71 Datsun 510 station wagon. You don't see them over here on the eastern side of the US... It costs around 800 or so to have it shipped... so I figured we could get some cheap plane tickets and make an adventure out of the drive back across the US.

I have faith in the little car... and the owner seems to be trustworthy.... at least over the phone.

Keep a journal' date=' should be an interesting trip/adventure. Good luck and I would love to see the car when you get it out here.

Mark[/quote']

a journal...good idea...

We are taking 2 digital video cameras and 2 digital cameras also.

I wish we had enough tapes to make a full video of the entire thing and compress it... tapes are only an hour a piece though... that would be over 30 tapes :eek:

Hey guys.... made it back.

The car ran perfect the whole trip... the only problem we had was the starter solenoid started acting up halfway through the drive home (and it was a new starter :confused: ) .. no biggie though..

The seller picked us up around 7:00 am Saturday morning and we went to get a muffler and exhaust put on and some supplies, etc. and we didn't get to leave Salt Lake City until 2:00 PM or so. We make a couple side excursions along the way and we didn't get to Denver until around 2:00 am. Darrell, I would have gave you a call when we go to Denver but it was a little late. :)

The part of the trip between Utah up to the eastern side of Denver is very beautiful. You guys were right about Kansas.... that state was the worst to go through... hot, dry, long, and pretty much sceneless.... unless you like vast fields.

We were on the road pretty much from 2:00 pm on Saturday until 6:00 PM Monday. We stopped in Denver for a few hours of sleep since it was next to impossible on the plane. The first leg we drove from Salt Lake to Denver, slept and drove from Denver to home... the second leg was about 30 hours of straight driving... until I got to the house..... and it was pretty tiring.

I would LOVE to build a killer high HP sleeper 510 wagon. GN engine, slightly lowered, stock paint, near stock interior, small average wheels, stock looking on the outside and in the interior but a beast from light to light or on the highway.

Ahh to have lots of money and time.

Well, I am soooo glad that the guy that I bought it from was straight up...

There is absolutely NO rust in this car... not even the battery tray.. :eek: Unless you want to call surface rust anything.. where the paint has flaked off in 2 spots, one the nose and a spot on the upper fender.. 220 grit sandpaper would erase it..

...and its never been wrecked... I couldn't ask for better for a base to start with..

Even the frame rails are perfectly straight... not even a single mark from a jack..

The interior needs to be redone, and the paint with some minor dings... other than that.. it is sweet... I can't believe I actually went through with the trip :D

Still don't know what or when to do anything in the engine department... I'll worry about that when the rest of the car is done.. a VG30-DETT sure would look nice in there also :D ..

Its definately going to be a sweet ride when its complete... hopefully fairly soon, I hate dragging things on forever...

I have a paint scheme already in my head, so I can picture the finished project already. I talked to the body shop today, to get a feel on how to stage the painting.

Those 13" wheels will be the first to go.