HybridZ

Fuel pump for RB26 conversion

Mike Rowe

im runnin 2 walbro 255high pressures dual 8 an to a single 10an

but no rb quite yet... trackin down a clip at the moment this should be overkill

my friend has a tt supra with 500 hp and uses 1 walbro 255hp

Matt,

Its almost fuel pump time for myself any suggestions. plan on tuning it out for max power for the king of the street competition at the track. will need somewhere around 750rwhp and lo 9 hi 8s fro ET to be competetive

Clint

Guest JAMIE T

I'm using a big Aeromotive A1000 pump and matching regulator. -10an from my fuel cell to the pump and to the fuel rail. Then -6 from the fuel rail to the regulator then back to the cell.

The set-up should be good for @800 hp. I won't be making that much, but it'll be nice to have the reserve if the need arises, say with a direct port fogger or something.

Not trying to thread jack, but I have heard that the Bosch units are among the quietest around and are reliable. I also read a in other forums that the walbro's can lose some of their pressure...http://www.theoldone.com/components/fuelpumps/

A friend ran the Aero. 1000 and it was pretty buzzy (street/strip car)

Personally I am looking into the Bosch motorsport 044 pump (good for around 700bhp) and wondering if I should wire it intank for a Fuel Safe fuel cell or if I should run it inline. I ran a search but could not find the pro's and con's of such an install. My primary objective is safety and quiet trouble free operation.

Is hard line w/ compresson fittings safer/more durable compared to ss braided air craft/Earls type fittings?

Guest JAMIE T
A friend ran the Aero. 1000 and it was pretty buzzy (street/strip car)

I don't think the buzziness(New word!) is gonna bother me since I have 4" exhaust.

Sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Clint, You should be using a set up similar to Jamie's. -10 from the tank to the pump. -10 from the pump to an inline -10 filter. -8 from the filter to a bulkhead "T" in the engien room. Two -6's from the "T" to each side of the fuel rail. A single -6 from the center of the rail to a regulator, and -6 from the regulator back to the tank. If you don"t have a tank with a drag-sump style outlet, you will need a surge tank:

http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm

Another alternative is to run two parallel inlines into a "Y", not a "T". However, I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple. They make the big, single pumps for a reason.

Bosch pumps are better quality than the Walbro, hands down. I can also buy three Walbro 255's for the price of a Bosch 280 liter pump...

Clint' date=' You should be using a set up similar to Jamie's. -10 from the tank to the pump. -10 from the pump to an inline -10 filter. -8 from the filter to a bulkhead "T" in the engien room. Two -6's from the "T" to each side of the fuel rail. A single -6 from the center of the rail to a regulator, and -6 from the regulator back to the tank. If you don"t have a tank with a drag-sump style outlet, you will need a surge tank:

Another alternative is to run two parallel inlines into a "Y", not a "T". However, I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple. They make the big, single pumps for a reason.

Bosch pumps are better quality than the Walbro, hands down. I can also buy three Walbro 255's for the price of a Bosch 280 liter pump...[/quote']

Thanks matt, that was pretty much my plan just wasnt sure the a1000 was any good.

hi mike,

got your email and will be in touch

regards your fuel pump dilemma.....i wouldn't skimp as lack of fuel pressure/flow at the wrong time will cost you big bucks(melted pistons or holes in them)

i would recommend the bosch 044 with a surge tank

i would also look on the forum about the wiring to the fuel pump mod for z's as they can suffer from voltage drop which can really mess with advertised flow rates

the bosch 044 is used by many racers and maintains flow rates across all the pressure range(not many pumps mention this fact)

i got my 044 for $270 delivered brand new with bracket,saw on another aussie forum they were being offered by a sponsor for $240 if memory serves me correctly

finally the 044 has screw in fittings that allow you to secure the high pressure side better than just clamping it.....handy to know when you could have the equivalent of a petrol bowser of fuel pouring into your engine bay

it is also worth noting that these pumps can suffer premature failure if the have to suck fuel up to them....eg if pump a long way from the tank or mounted higher than it against gravity....just thought i'd mention that in case mounting position is a dilemma

regards

paul

Thanks matt, that was pretty much my plan just wasnt sure the a1000 was any good.

There were lots of Japanese complaining about failure, but they were all mounting them in the trunk and pulling fuel up to them. One guy even had the stock 8mm line feeding the -10 inlet with the pump in the trunk... I've used quite a few of them over the years from Aeromotive, Paxton, etc, and have had zero failures when the pump is mounted around the level fo the bottom of the tank.

Clint' date=' You should be using a set up similar to Jamie's. -10 from the tank to the pump. -10 from the pump to an inline -10 filter. -8 from the filter to a bulkhead "T" in the engien room. Two -6's from the "T" to each side of the fuel rail. A single -6 from the center of the rail to a regulator, and -6 from the regulator back to the tank. If you don"t have a tank with a drag-sump style outlet, you will need a surge tank:

Bosch pumps are better quality than the Walbro, hands down. I can also buy three Walbro 255's for the price of a Bosch 280 liter pump...[/quote']

after looking at all the stuff i have thats the way it was setup in the old car. i just need a fuel pump and the hose from the tank to the pump then from there to the engine compartment

My fuel cell came with 2 Walbro's installed and didn't want the hassle of replacing them with an 044 and rewiring everything. Since there are 2, it's an added margin of safety.

If I had my choice though, I'd rather have the Bosch 044.