HybridZ

Pure beauty for only 22k

EZ-E

I did not realize that I not only did it once but twice in the post. Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part to put it at a price that I could afford.

I just love that car!!

I remember reading history on the Z-car, and if I remember correctly, Mr. K first introduced the Z-car concept to Nissan, but they rejected the idea. He then went to Toyota, and that's how the 2000gt began, but its production was limited. Then somehow Nissan accepted the project, and enter the Z car. I don't think this is 100% accurate, but should be the gist of it. Let me see if I can find the source.

Well, this isn't the source that I originally found, but:

"After all these experiences, von Goertz became a consultant for Nissan in 1963 to work on the Silvia 1600 sports coupe (derivative of the open Fairlady 1600), which debuted at the 1964 Tokyo Motor Show.

With that project under his belt von Goertz was then assigned to Katayama's pet project, the creation of a sports car for the U.S. market. In addition to von Goertz, Nissan also employed another outside resource, Yamaha, in the development process, but the project hit snags, mostly revolving around the 2-liter engine, and Nissan put it on the back burner. Almost immediately Yamaha took the prototype model to Toyota, and the Japanese auto giant revitalized the project. Eventually the car that would emerge from their combined efforts was the Toyota 2000GT. Meanwhile von Goertz left Nissan's employ, and the Nissan American sports car program was thoroughly revamped.

Oddly it was the public introduction of the Toyota 2000GT that got the Nissan program back on track. The Toyota model legitimatised the sports/GT design concept, and Katayama, who had ascended to president of Nissan North America, pushed hard to move the project forward. He was the perfect man to conceptualize the car, because he was both an auto enthusiast and a marketing executive. He knew a technologically interesting car like the Toyota 2000GT might look good on paper, but its complexity and high price would doom it to low sales. "

I was off just a bit :-)

Original link: http://www.modernracer.com/classics/datsun240z.html

That was the only problem Toyota out priced the car for the time and no one was willing to pay the high dollar price for a Japanese car. Shame a car so beautiful never left the ground.

Could you imagine, if this car went along like the Z did. Might have changed everything with Toyota and the supra or whatever might have or would have been theyre big hp car today.

Guest ON3GO
i read an article years back that said 2000GT's only swapped hands when billionaires died. i saw my first real 2000GT in person at a car show and i fell in love (of course it reminded me of my Z lol).

you saw the one i saw at the houston autoramia???

my god i drooled over that car the whole time i was there.

mike