HybridZ

copper intercooler piping?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Would this be a good idea or no?

i would think so.

i know it would be more money and harder to weld over Alum piping but i think it would be pretty trick.

how would one weld Copper piping, where could one find 3in piping and also do they even make mandrel bends in copper?

thanks

mike

ummm..

copper is a soft metal.. soo i dunno about that

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2540/article.html

"Generally speaking, aluminum seems to be the material of choice for all automotive heat exchange, but there are other materials that offer distinct advantages and disadvantages. Silver, for example has a lower coefficient of heat than aluminum, and will support more heat exchange in an otherwise identical situation. The price increase is surprisingly small as well. For air to water cores, copper offers even better heat properties at a fraction of the cost of both aluminum and silver. Unfortunately, due to copper's corrosive properties, it generally isn't appropriate for street use in an air to air situation."

Soo.. I guess Copper has very bad corrosive properties.. which is a no no

Guest ON3GO
Mike I swear you never stop thinking....LOL!

well im jobless right now so i have nothing to do but sit around and think.

i cant work on my Z's since no place to work and we are moving out of this rental real real soon.

i sold a car the other day so i do have some money sitting around but i think im gonna buy 2 migs and a tig...

mike

Copper was (has) been used as a material for heat exchangers for centuries in stationary and marine applications. Cost is the main reason its not used on automotive applications. It also fatigue cracks easier then aluminum.

Welding copper can be difficult because it transfers heat away from the weld even faster then aluminum. You can weld copper using any welding process that supports DC negative and you can weld copper to steel. I've TIG welded lots of copper and you need to polish it after because it develops a layer of black copper oxide in the heat affected zone.

I meant to add that the stock Z radiator is made of brass, a copper-zinc alloy. The cupronickel brake lines John suggested in a different thread is another copper alloy. If you have ever seen an old MG-TC, they used soldered copper pipe as radiator hoses. So not really a new idea.

I worked summers in a nuclear power plant that used copper alloy heat exhangers to cool the steam exhaust from the turbine. Copper ions were breaking free from the condenser and weakening the piping containing the reactor coolant. They had a hell of a time replacing the copper-alloy heat exhangers with stainless steel ones because they had to be so much larger. About the only metal that conducts heat better than copper is silver.

You can get about any fitting needed in DWV copper. It is used for drainage systems so the elbows are longer radius. It can also be soldered with 95/5 so putting it together is simple. They sell the 2" stuff at Lowes so you could look there for ideas on how the fittings look.

Go to your local plumbing supply and check it out.

I have put some of this stuff together many years ago when I worked in the pipe trades.

You can find cupronickel pipe/tube at boiler shops and any similar business that serves the ship building/repair industry. I work in a naval shipyard and visit the piping shop often looking for bits I might use in my projects. The weight per foot of cupronickel or copper is much more than aluminum and the cost would be well up there too. Brazing is the only viable method of joining for most DIY's. A healthy torch, silver flux and some high silver content brazing wire would do the trick. We're talking IC's here and although the temps can be up there the benefits of using copper or cupronickel (the better choice) just aren't justified for the application IMHO. I'd rather build from aluminum and then anodize it in some awesome color to mix or match. You can probably get close to a copper color too. I think you'd be dollars ahead.

Considering copper intercooler piping for the Dusen-Z? Yes, fill her up with high grade petrol and we shall party like it's 1923!

sorry about that. The first thing that came to mind when I thought of copper in a car are very old cars.

But why not consider silver? It has a low melting point, but silver would look even better than copper. Since you're spending the money on copper, it would only be a few bucks more. Plus you can do all the seams with a soldering iron.

But yeah, you can use type L or M copper piping. Dip it in some acid and then clearcoat it, I think it would look just awesome. The only thing I would be afraid of is cracking at the leaded joints (if you choose to use solder). The sizing is not a problem, I regularly specify 2 1/2" piping in plumbing.

Would you even use regular fittings?

Do you need a di-electric union when you hit the intercooler and chassis?