HybridZ

Auto Darkening Helmet Isn't

My Uvex solar powered auto darkening helmet is acting up.Instead of getting dark within 1/25000 of the arch striking it is taking .5 seconds or more. Not good for the eyes. The helmet wasn't cheap when bought a few years back.I might expect this from a cheap Harbor Freight model. Maybe this is why Jesse James doesn't use one?

The exhaust getting welded consists of some 2.5 inch connector pipes from the block hugger headers to a pair of DynoMax Bullet mufflers. It sounds loud even with the motor not running.Looks like it needs a Y pipe going back to a single 3 inch muffler mounted in the stock location.

Guest dherde26
Thanks for the input guys.I guess it's time to go to Harbor Freight for a new helmet then.Better wait until my vision comes back completely first though.

well i hate to say it but i am kinda "old fashoned"

i have a HF and i also have a jackson flipper and the jackson is my choice 8 days a week but diff strokes for diff folks lol...but i must say when i have used the HF never failed me yet

drew

just be sure to get the warranty with the HF helmet. I have seen a few HF helmets go bad. The owners had a warranty so they got to swap for a new one. My first one I completely burned up and finally got holes burned it from doing about 120 hours of flat, horizontal, vertical stick welding. 60 hours of all positions mig, and like 40-50 hours of tig. That is all actual weld time over one and a half years. The last six months of welding school I had my new HF helmet that is highly modified. I'll get a pic of it.

My Uvex solar powered auto darkening helmet is acting up.

You might want to check and see if it has a repalceable battery. Some of the solar powered helmets I've seen have a battery as a backup to the solar power unit. When the backup battery is drained it takes time for the solar power unit to work.

My helmet is solar powered with no back up batteries so there's nothing to change. Today I left it out in the sun for 2 hours or so and it worked good after that. Usually it sits in a box in the garage and I leave it out in the daylight for awhile to charge it up before using. Maybe it just needs to be left in the sun longer prior to use? It came with a 2 year warranty but that was almost 5 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got several auto darkening helmets, ranging from $400-$49 and I can,t believe that the HARBOR FREIGHT helmet works as well as it does, I use it a great deal,ESPECIALLY when welding , over head, simply because if it ever craps out , or gets to scared ,Im out $49, how can you ,NOT buy one!

The latest Harbor Freight flyer has a $79 auto-darkening helmet on sale for $49 and a coupon for another 15% off. Guess I better get one at that price. Seems like if you buy some small thing from them they send you flyers/catalogs for years after , just like JC Whitney used to.