HybridZ

LSD carriers

oozla

The LSD carriers I was familiar with were about the size of a postage stamp and had a little Disney character stamped on them. I remember one particular bad night with Goofy...

AFAIK the following sell or have sold LSD units for the R200:

Nissan Motorsports

NISMO

Quaife

Kaaz ?

PowerBrute

Torsen/Gleason

I have just bought what I have been told now is a Z31 LSD - this is another option for the Z - can anyone verify from the photo that this is in deed an LSD ? It has 35 teeth does that mean it is a 3.5 ratio?

Sorry not opened up a diff before

I have just bought what I have been told now is a Z31 LSD - this is another option for the Z - can anyone verify from the photo that this is in deed an LSD ? It has 35 teeth does that mean it is a 3.5 ratio?

Sorry not opened up a diff before

Z31_diff_35_teeth.jpg

Yes that is a clutch type LSD. The ring and pinion count will be stamped on the edge of the ring gear. The US market Z31T's had 3.70s, but you can verify this by finding the r&p count, which will say 37:10. Then you divide it out. A 3.36 is 37:11, 4.11 is 37:9, etc.

I do not know that I totally understand the discussion such as the "carrier" in question. I found this string in hopes of answering the question of whether an LSD unit from a 240sx r200 will work in the r200 from a 280zx turbo. If I understand the way the rear end is made in an open diff there is the ring vertically that drives the pinion out the snout. Inside the ring is a case (carrier?) that has spider gears in it. They allow one wheel to be driven and the other to turn free. The lsd unit is substituted into the ring and forces both of the wheels to receive power. One more than the other to allow for different speeds for each wheel ie. turns.

Is that a correct understanding? Will an LSD for any r-200 work in any other r200? Long or short nose?

Thanks

You should be able to search and find the specifics but IIRC the US version 240SX LSDs were viscous LSDs so unlike the clutch type that came in the 300ZX the 280Z stub shafts don't fit into the viscous units. This means that you have to use the CV shafts from the 240SX, and I think that they are too long for the Z. You could have custom shafts made but it would be cheaper/easier just to get the clutch unit and use the stock halfshafts, or if you want CV shafts there are already easy solutions like the Z31T or 280ZXT shafts with adapters from http://www.modern-motorsports.com

Thanks, Jon

That was my question. I saw some 240sx units for sale on ebay and they were still cheap but I did not know if it was the same. What is a clutch type LSD worth? I have seen the quaife at modern motorsports but did not know if that is a normal price for an LSD. There was also a string I saw about a member at Hybrid Z that would set up a diff with the LSD installed. I looked for him in the services section, etc but could not find him.

Thanks, Charles

I think that guy's name is Leith. He is installing the Power Brute that Clifton linked to in this thread. I think it runs about $500, and it is a rebadged Nissan LSD. KAAZ also makes a diff that works and it is ~$800 and is much better than the Nissan. The Quaife is priced at about 5x what it is worth IMO.