HybridZ

ever go a little overboard solving a PROBLEM!

grumpyvette

I build this nice garage and yesterday morning I find a BUNCH of FIRE ANTS in a line going under the door, now in FLORIDA WE HAVE ZILLIONS OF ANTS and I HATE THE LITTLE SNEAKY S.O.B.S., I look around and they are all over the place, but I can,t find whats attracting them?

off to the local home depot, I buy a pump up sprayer

a qt of concentrated SEVIN

a qt of concentrated DURSBAN

a qt of concentrated MALITHON

a qt of concentrated TRISEVIN

and 2 OZ bottle of PYRETHRIN EXTRACT

I dump about an ounce or more of each plus an ounce of dawn dish soap (to destroy surface tension) into the pump up sprayer and I fill it with water, I spray EVERY OUTSIDE SURFACE on the doors and the floors near the doors till they are totally soaked......and the total perimeter of the garage ,today I get up at 6 A.M. and there are what appears to be about 4-6 lbs of coffee grounds piled up near each door, I can,t believe theres that many dead ants......SO I re-spray heavily

,checking at 5 P.M. I find theres not an ANT to be found alive near the garage! .....GOT YOU LITTLE ^^&*&* S.O.B.s (yeah temp. victory but I feel like I made progress)

the wife says I went alittle overboard but shes never worked on her back under a car and had fire ants bite the %^&*& out of HER!

I think the peppermint extract burns them like fire--they can feel it, but it won't (or shouldn't kill) them. It's a great idea of you only want them out of the house. I want the ants around here gone, not just out of the house. I use malathion despite it being illegal here. I figure its just 'New Old Stock' that I can get away with. At least the stuff works.

Davy

Yeah, the bug situation here in florida is definitely "special"...I've seen those giant beetle things they get people to eat on fear factor just walking around like there's nothing wrong with it. I've found scorpions in my workplace (and home). Spiders like crazy. Ants every which way. Don't get me started on lovebugs. Mosquitos are a given, even those big ones like you see in jurrassic park. I was working at Busch Gardens (a local theme park, in case people don't know) when they were spraying by air for the mosquitos, and I would find dead baby birds every so often that I guess weren't big enough to survive the spraying (even though we were told it would only affect mosquitos). Grumpy, I say by any means necessary buddy. By any means necessary.

Cool to keep them out of the garage and house.

They are natural enemies of termites, so I can't say they're better off gone, but then I'm 52 and don't roll around/play in the yard - only mow the dam* thing.

Killing the workers won't get the queen, but the bait type poisons will.

Instant Grits works well for this and is non-poisonous.

Killing the workers won't get the queen' date=' but the bait type poisons will.

Instant Grits works well for this and is non-poisonous.[/quote']

Brad, do the instant grits work because they swell within the stomach of the queen and she kind of 'pops'? Hmmm.

Davy

"Man, grump, I would hate to go hunting with you"

WHY? is a 458 LOTT.. loaded with 600 grain soft points too much for whitetail deer????

JUST KIDDING, I use a 358 winchester BLR

but if YOUR having trouble knocking them down TRY THIS

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1167/edora.html

"Man' date=' grump, I would hate to go hunting with you"

WHY? is a 458 LOTT.. loaded with 600 grain soft points too much for whitetail deer????

JUST KIDDING, I use a 358 winchester BLR

but if YOUR having trouble knocking them down TRY THIS

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1167/edora.html[/quote']

You could always use a cannon to hunt whitetail.... :)

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm