HybridZ

ACT Clutches: HDSS Organic vs Sprung 6 Puck

nope

I've used both types of clutches when i owned an integra gsr. Although i was over zealous the first time and got a 6 puck that was way too insane for my car (2700lb clamping). On the other hand, after the 6 puck chewed through my aluminum flywheel, broke my clutch fork and died, the organic i bought next was just a tad soft. clamping was rated like double stock (1700lb) but eh, lies..

my friend has an unsprung 6 puck ACT in his SR20 240sx and he says he likes it.

im looking for medium pedal effort and great clamping with no chatter, but not trying to spend THAT much though.. haha

any comments from experience on the SR?

or has anyone driven with some other really nice clutch?

thanks

Sprung and puck clutch don't seem to go together. If you have a clutch that is purpose built to grab that aggressively like the 6 puck, it seems like it would just break or shuck the springs leaving you with a broken hub. Seen enough broken or loose springs on regular clutches that I really wouldn't trust a sprung puck clutch.

Sprung clutches can save driveline parts from breaking on launches or 1-2 shifts.

I was not aware ACT makes a sprung 6 puck?

I've owned a 6 puck unpsrung and liked it. It was harsh to learn, but it never slipped from putting 350rwhp through it and running Nitto 555R drag radials. (in my old 180sx)

I stepped up to an OS Giken twin-plate clutch because I got a good deal on it. It feels like the ACT, but it has a lot more tolerance for abuse.

I had a friend who put in the organic sprung ACT in his 180sx with only 250rwhp. It slipped when he drag raced, but it was an excellent daily driver clutch. I drove it a few times and it was a very easy-going clutch to handle.

If you're gonna keep the motor pretty stock (stock turbo and such) then the organic could be fine.

I'm looking for a sprung alternative right now... something that won't blow shafts out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just installed ACTs NEW 6 puck sprung setup with an HD pressure plate on a SR 240SX and its really quite smooth and not very hard on your calf. I like the CLUTCHNET 6 puck sprung disk better because the springs are caged in a cant pop out. You might need to see pics to understand.

I havent been overly impressed with CN stuff. Their discs are known to be extremely chattery, and Ive seen some nasty pictures of failures. Im not sure if they have an application for the RWD DET, but I strongly recommend JWT's 1-side metal disc. It will hold at least 350 whp with the ACT HD PP and is a great compromise between an organic slippable disc and a chattery metal disc. They also have a 2-side metal variant which I havent personally tried. This was all on a FWD turbo SR20DE, so YMMV.

- Greg -

Im running a Competition Clutch Stg 4 sprung 6 puck clutch, rated at 550ft/lbs +. It sure grabs, but I wouldnt like it for a daily driver. I also had alot of trouble getting hte hydrolics to work right. I think if i was building a daily driver I too would be inclined to go with the heavy duty pressure plate and street orgnaic disc. Thats what we are putting in Matt's car... hopefully see how that goes soon.

What is a 1-side metal disc? Do the sides not match or something?

One side of the disc is ordinary organic material. That goes on the flywheel side.

The other side of the disc is metal (can't remember what exactly, probably copper). That goes on the pressure plate side.

So if you picture whats going on during engagement/slip, the metal side grabs hard on the pressure plate, but the organic material allows some slip to the flywheel. This also reduces flywheel wear, but more importantly, it gives you a clutch that is somewhere between a chattery metal disc with high grip and a smooth organic disc with much lower grip.

I should have the motor out of the old car by the end of the month -- I'll try to snap some pics for you then.

- Greg -