HybridZ

Anyone using this manifold

millsan1

i actually know this guy, his name is frankie, he lives a couple hours from me and i purchased a turbo kit from him and hes been helping me with it, i personally know one of his customers whos had all his motor work done by him and his 83 zxt is pushing over 500hp and its all street. i dont have anythign to say about these headers but he has mentioned them to me but im kinda at a lack of money now. never actually seen one. from working with him i know hes a very educated guy when dealing with datsuns and he has been for some decades. i trust him, but i have to agree alot of the hp claims he gives me seem very high.

I also talked to Frankie yesterday. He's a nice guy and is very confident about his product. I like the design of Frankie's header better than the SFP header. The SFP header still has cylinder #2 going into the log rather than into the collector. Personally I don't think that equal length tubes with a turbo is critically important. The tubes just need to all merge into the collector.

Before I'd buy I would want MUCH higher quality pics and verify pipe ID like Brad-ManQ45 suggests. I also wouldn't buy unless it had an external wastegate flange. Another feature that would be nice but not necessary would be a divided header so a divided entry turbine could be used. Might add a little boost response since each side of the turbine would get three direct exhaust pulses rather than all six colliding into the collector.

I have no doubt this header would be a vast improvement over stock but for the money I want all the bells and whistles..... :-)

The scavenging effect that comes from "tuned" headers happens when one exhaust pulse actually pulls more gas from another cylinder by using it's velocity to "drag" it out. In order to do this the runners need to merge at precise distances so that the exhaust events coincide at the correct time.

That's how it works in an NA car, the one on eBay is a turbo manifold, there is hardly any scavenging effect in a turbo car since the manifold is always pressurized from turbine back pressure.

I will agree that tuned headers are not important for peak power, however, they DO effect spool response, and you won't have to take my work for it, I will quote a few lines from "Turbocharging" by Hugh MacInnes:

One of the biggest misconceptions is that ram tuning is not important on a turbocharged engine. Through extensive testing I have found that a turbo'd engine responds to a tuned inlet and exhaust system and large port cylinder heads the same as a naturally aspirated engine. The engine also needs much more cam than most people think. Don't strangle the engine!

One of the best examples of this was a 2 liter BMW that Gary Knudsen at McLaren Engines developed for Can-Am racing. The engine produced 540 HP on gasoline with Mack intercoolers and a simple log manifold.

Gary replaced the log manifold with tuned headers and picked up 60 HP. When he adjusted the cam specs to take advantage of the better exhaust, the engine produce 640 HP on the dyno and 600 on the track! When Gary installed the tuned headers, throttle response also improved tremendously.

Gary went on to experiment with axially divided turbine housings. He found that if the exhaust pipes were connected to the separate sides of the divided turbine housing so the exhaust pulses arrived evenly spaced, throttle response improved even more. Though this arrangenebt did not add any more power, turbo lag was all but gone.

Withoust arguing semantics with anyone, it is apparent that equal length IS important to maximize throttle response, and certainly will increase horsepower. Whether used with a divided turbo or not.

Will this manifold produce more power than stock? Undoubtedly.

Will this manifold lower spool response? Hard to answer, though if cross section area of runners is same as port then I doubt it.

Would it be better if all runners were the same length? Undoubtedly.

Would it be better if it had a split collector to take advantage of a split turbine housing? Undoubtedly.

Would it be better if it had some SS accordion fitting betwwn the center part and the outboard runners ala tje euro ZXT manifold? I believe so, but jet hot coating will probably minimize the expansion that can break the tubes.

Would it be better if it had provision for a wastegate? Depends on what you want to do. There is now a much improved internal WG housing for the GTR turbos that eliminate the need for an external WG with them and will fit most 5-bolt (Ford) T3 turbine housings.

I laud the manufacturer for his efforts, it does look like a nice manifold. If the runner area is no larger than the port area and the quality of construction is good, then I believe it is a reasonable price.

I however, agree with jgkurz, when I am going to start shelling out this kind of money, I want all the bells and whistles, and am willing to pay for it. Either that or have to make it myself. I have too much other stuff to do, so I'd rather pay for it.

If someone would step up to the plate with a product with all the bells and whistles, there WILL be a market. Perhaps this manufacturer may look at what we are saying as a very good/astute/cheap marketing survey and determine that he can provide a product that the more cogniscenti want.

I certainly would look forward to it.

This is Frank owner of Z Performance Racing and the one who builds the header. I am using a real good friend of minds screen name to reply to some of the questions concerning this header. To make 317HP to the wheels is pretty easy and this is how we made it:

Stock turbo Block, Ported & Polished Head, Ported & polished Intake with 75MM throttle body, intercooler, 2 1/2 inch inlet and 3 inch outlet on the intercooler, Complete 3 inch down pipe and exhaust, That header you are discussing, 7300RPMs, and a KKK-26 turbo set for about 9lbs of boost. The stock block with the correct head on it and the stock intake will make 170HP at the flywheel, Now port and polish both head & intake, add large throttle body and you roughly come up with a safe conservative number of 230HP, for each pound of boost you should get a conservative 7HP, that times 9 is 63HP, plus another conservative 60 (but we know it was more) for the header and you are now at 230 + 63 + 60= 352HP to the flywheel and this does not include the air inlet tempature from the intercooler, increased compression, increased ignition timing, & ram air. 15% drive train loss and I think this is easily done. I won't go into details about each part as they are Z Performance Racing entitlements and only for customers.

Thanks for the inquiry

I couldnt tell you about the quality just from looking at it. I'm not typically one to be negative about any new products for the L28' date=' but those claims are ridiculous!

"STOCK TURBO, PORTED HEAD, PORTED INTAKE, WITH 9LB OF BOOST AND MADE 317HP TO THE REAR WHEELS"

a stock zxt motor makes what, 160hp? wow, 2lbs of boost, port work and that manifold produced 150+hp? :roll:

"HEADERS HAVE MADE OVER 800HP ON FULLY BUILT MOTORS "

and those cars would be . . . .where?

Anyways, it would be nice to see someone get some REAL numbers for one of these . . .[/quote']

This is Frank owner of Z Performance Racing and the one who builds the header. I am using a real good friend of minds screen name to reply to some of the questions concerning this header. To make 317HP to the wheels is pretty easy and this is how we made it:

Stock turbo Block, Ported & Polished Head, Ported & polished Intake with 75MM throttle body, intercooler, 2 1/2 inch inlet and 3 inch outlet on the intercooler, Complete 3 inch down pipe and exhaust, That header you are discussing, 7300RPMs, and a KKK-26 turbo set for about 9lbs of boost. The stock block with the correct head on it and the stock intake will make 170HP at the flywheel, Now port and polish both head & intake, add large throttle body and you roughly come up with a safe conservative number of 230HP, for each pound of boost you should get a conservative 7HP, that times 9 is 63HP, plus another conservative 60 (but we know it was more) for the header and you are now at 230 + 63 + 60= 352HP to the flywheel and this does not include the air inlet tempature from the intercooler, increased compression, increased ignition timing, & ram air. 15% drive train loss and I think this is easily done. I won't go into details about each part as they are Z Performance Racing entitlements and only for customers.

Wow that is cool. I quite like it' date=' it looks similar to the SFP manifold in design...there is a thread on here in regards to Turbo headers do a search and pics will come up.

The price is actually VERY fair.

I will tell you that his 70hp claim is very exagerated....70hp at what boost level what hp level...you can "skew" the numbers for marketing purposes and for powers of convincing..

I hope you do buy it!

Yasin[/quote']

Just for reference, My 3.0L L6 made 309.4 RWHP when my boost was limited to 11.5psi. I run a mildly worked over P90 head, N42 intake and L28ET exhaust manifold. My point is that 317RWHP might be possible if the turbo had enough lb/min of air at a 1.6 pressure ratio. An exhaust header certainly would help my setup a great deal. This assumes I add all the other things to take full advantage of the header (better turbo, DP and exhaust) My T4/3 hybrid turbo couldn't make the 317 at 9psi but I bet a newer/more efficient Garrett ball bearing turbo with the Frank's header could. Take a look at the GT40 82mm, 50trim, 0.58 A/R setup. It's far too large for me, but might make Franks claim possible. Then again my boost will never be set to only 9psi so I'll never know...

Stock turbo Block' date=' Ported & Polished Head, Ported & polished Intake with 75MM throttle body, intercooler, 2 1/2 inch inlet and 3 inch outlet on the intercooler, Complete 3 inch down pipe and exhaust, That header you are discussing, 7300RPMs, and a KKK-26 turbo set for about 9lbs of boost. The stock block with the correct head on it and the stock intake will make 170HP at the flywheel, Now port and polish both head & intake, add large throttle body and you roughly come up with a safe conservative number of 230HP, for each pound of boost you should get a conservative 7HP, that times 9 is 63HP, plus another conservative 60 (but we know it was more) for the header and you are now at 230 + 63 + 60= 352HP to the flywheel and this does not include the air inlet tempature from the intercooler, increased compression, increased ignition timing, & ram air. 15% drive train loss and I think this is easily done. I won't go into details about each part as they are Z Performance Racing entitlements and only for customers.[/quote']

So you're saying that these numbers aren't DYNO backed/proven?

That's also not a stock turbo like you're ebay add clams.

original claim made by Frank, maker of the mystery manifold:The stock block with the correct head on it and the stock intake will make 170HP at the flywheel

That is what a stock, 7.4-1 compression L28ET will make withOUT boost? That seems a little optimistic to me, especially with no dyno chart to back it up...

This is the wrong forum to try to pull one over on by keeping anything that can prove your claims "proprietary." If you are trying to sell something to an informed buyer, it helps to be able to provide the type of information they would need when selecting between your product, another product, or spending the time to make the product themselves (which many members are capable of doing, and have done).

Also surprising to me is your 75mm throttle body on a ported factory manifold. I've got a 60mm, and it really does not look like there is another 15mm worth of removeable material there to fit an even larger unit (but since I haven't got any actual proof whether it will or will not fit, I'll reserve judgement on that until I see a picture of the manifold in the engine bay)

veritech-z, I knwo the quote in your sig. Very funny stuff.

I will most likely b emaking a trip to NC to see his stuff. I liek what he has to say, it makes sense, but without seeing some of the work, I am leery of handing over a large sum of cash to an unknown entity.

I like it. Do you know any other turbo manifolds for sale that are superior? I hate the stock manifold, on principal.

There are non avail...and I would ignore "dapiper's" comment, that unit is definitely much better than the stock cast OEM unit.

Yasin

I love the picture of the white jet hot coated header, ..right,....jet hot coating my ass. Look at all the overspray on the head and block: crappy spray paint job and the craftsmanship is poor. I wouldn't drop a dime on it.

I love the picture of the white jet hot coated header, ..right,....jet hot coating my ass. Look at all the overspray on the head and block: crappy spray paint job and the craftsmanship is poor. I wouldn't drop a dime on it.

WOW!! You can see that hightech Jet Hot Coating chipping off. Rattle can paint would never do that......... He purpously made the overspray on the head, overspray adds atleast 70hp........

78 280z 2+2

WOW!! You can see that hightech Jet Hot Coating chipping off. Rattle can paint would never do that......... He purpously made the overspray on the head' date=' overspray adds atleast 70hp........

78 280z 2+2[/quote']

LOL!!! I'd say 100HP at the LEAST!!