HybridZ

How Long Did It Take???

Guest datsun_80

Guest datsun_80

I was wondering how long it took you guys to swap out your engines and transmissions and install the new ones? I'm not talking about how long it took to buy performance parts and put them in or rebuilding the motor. I'm just wondering how long it took install the engine and transmission and hook everything up so it would run. I’ve read that it took 2 weeks for this one guy, but is that even possible?

Thanks,

Tim

280zx

You could have it done in less than a week. (plus downtime for forgotten / broken parts). If you were serious and dedicated your time to it. But it's hard to put that much time into a project with work and other tasks.

It would be rough, but it could be done realistically.

Otherwise if you're a weekend warrior (like me)... You're looking at about a month or two? Once again it all depends on your motivation, and how much time you can put into it each day.

Assuming you had all the parts from the jump and everything went smoothly an afternoon is all it would take but that never happens. So in reality I could see it done in a weekend. O yeah and of course stuff like wiring EFi and stuff may take longer.

This is one of those open-ended questions that tend to rile people, as (1) it has been asked frequently before, and (2) the answer depends completely on the scope of your project, the initial condition of your car, and the extent of your hot-rodding experience.

An experienced mechanic starting with solid, rust-“free” car and a complete set of parts could complete the swap over a weekend. An inexperienced non-mechanic with a worn-out car and an incomplete/mismatched set of parts won’t complete the swap even in one year. Some people are now into their second decade.

And itf you are doing an LS1/T56 swap and doing it properly it will take about 40 hours of mechanical work and about 40 hours of electrical work - if you know what you're doing. If you don't the sky is the limit because you'll be doing things several times.

Sept makes 1 yr for me. I did take the entire summer off because the car is still at school. Like it is stated before it all depends on the scale of what you are trying to do with the car. PLAN PLAN PLAN.....is the only way to cut down on time of any project. That way you don't waste time or money.

I started in June with a Z that had no motor or tranny. Since then, I bought the Firehawk, pulled the LT1/T56, prepped the motor and the Z, bought/bartered all of the parts, installed the motor and now am tying a lot of loose ends (going all over the earth for deals), redoing the gauges, sumping the tank, etc. I have 3 weeks left before school and have to have it dependable as a daily driver by then.

Optimistic? Heck yeah. BTW, I teach school, so the summer was mine and I have a very understandable and accomadating wife. :)

Bryan

Dat240zg

Guest datsun_80

That helps alot, I am still currently searching for parts, i just got hold of a rebuilt chevy 350 for free so now i'm looking for a T5, after that i need a few more parts and then I can get started, its going to be hard though trying to get it done before school starts which is a little over a month away.

One quick question. There is a chevy S10 im looking at 1991 2.4L, Manual trans, does any one know if that transmission is a T5? I've searched and searched and still can't find anything.

and unless you are single and wealthy, depends on work, understanding wives/ girlfriends, family...and you don't want to use the T5 out of a s-10, can't believe "search" didn't come up with the numerous posts about the s10's wrong gear ratios and low power levels.

Datsun_80,

You don't want the transmission from that S10 even if it is a T5, it'll never stand up to a V8. You really want a World Class T5 from a Camaro/Firebird if you can find one. I spent 3 months looking before I found mine. Other options include a T56 or Tremec TKO-II or TKO-600 but they are a bit spendy.

BTW: It's possible to do a simple swap in a week but you have to have all the parts on hand and all the planning completed before you get started. The unknowns and "while I'm at its" is what causes most of us to take a long time to complete our projects.

Wheelman

Beware of the "while I'm at it"

It took me about 6 months. How picky you get about some of the details can also add a considerable amount of time and money.

One of the biggest hangups was exhaust. There is no prefabbed kit for that and I made it myself with prebent mandrels. Of course you could always pay a shop, but how tight do you want it to fit with how much ground clearance you need will also be a factor. I simply hammered the tranny walls to gain more clearance, had I to do it again I would have cut it out and rewelded it.

Do you want to change or upgrade parts "while you are at it." The r-180 is not that strong. Do you want to upgrade to an r-200 or better.

Now that you have all kinds of new power, do you want to upgrade brakes?

I'm adding ac to my car now, but landed up relocating the battery to the back to make room for all the hoses and wiring running around the engine bay.

Beware of the "while I'm at it".

That is no lie. I could have dropped my LS1/'glid in and been done but "while I was at it" I decided to upgrade rear ends and I always go bullet proof if possible. Now Im in the middle of back halfing my Z :D

Tim,

If your good it can be done in a weekend. If your real good within 24 hours! However, if you are enjoying wrenching and are building up a car because its fun, then you really can't put a time on it. You should savor your build and screw the rushing around and fighting time. When you rush it takes all the fun out of it! Enjoy your build.

VAN