HybridZ

400whp L28?

Guest Cronic

Guest Cronic

So Im on the quest.... I will get there one way or another. Trying to get as close to 400whp on my setup as possible with out actually snaping a ringland. :lol:

t3/t4 57 trim, 60mm tb, ported IM, stock head, cam, pistons, rods, etc.

pallnet rail, supra 550cc injectors, 255lph pump, Z31 ecu, cobra maf, custom 4 puck sprung clutch, welded rear diff... we'll see how it holds up.

I'm going to dyno on 15psi, and work it's way up on pump gas. I'd like to run 18psi on the street on 93. Then have a seperate 25psi setting with 108 unleaded octane. To take to the track. We'll see if it can break 400 to the wheels.... soon.

Wish me luck. The turd will rise again.

-Jeff

I hated the welded diff I had on my previous car...one wheel was always fighting the other and taking a tight turn it was always "chung-chung-chung"

Good for road racing and drag racing...bad for tight movie and Walmart parking lot spaces.

Jeff - good luck, if you pull 400whp that will be a good baseline for me as I assemble my project and know what numbers I will get. What are you running for a bottom end and what is a ported IM? We have some similar parts on our builds.

Yasin

Guest Cronic
I hated the welded diff I had on my previous car...one wheel was always fighting the other and taking a tight turn it was always "chung-chung-chung"

Good for road racing and drag racing...bad for tight movie and Walmart parking lot spaces.

Jeff - good luck' date=' if you pull 400whp that will be a good baseline for me as I assemble my project and know what numbers I will get. What are you running for a bottom end and what is a ported IM? We have some similar parts on our builds.

Yasin[/quote']

The engine itself is stock, just a fresh rebuild top and bottom with new pistons, rings and all new seals. The IM (Intake manifold) is tappered for the 60mm TB and slightly cleaned up on the runners I believe.

The welded diff is fun, a pain in the ass like everyone says on tight turns, but it's not a daily driver, so IDGAF :D

I'm actually interested to see just how far I can take the bottom end, and how efficient the head is with this turbo. I'm not sure, in fact, I don't believe the stock head will make it to 400whp, but we'll see. Old technology has a way of surprising ya. After I max out this setup, I'll be doing custom forged 8.5:1 pistons, a decent cam and a GT35R. That should be a fun setup.

I've been toying with the idea of dropping the motor into an S13 chassis like Pallnet is doing. :D

Guest Cronic
I think you will need to run a different cam to get 400WHP. You should be in the 325-350WHP range with the setup you describe at 15psi.

I don't plan on stopping at 15psi.. that's just where I feel comfortable starting the tune. I think 18 is where I'd like to be on pump gas. On nights I goto the track I'd like to have a 26psi 109+ octane tune.

The T04E 57 compressor wheel will support 26psi or roughly a 2.76 pressure ratio but in an extremely small part of the 73% and 70% islands. It's definitely is a higher pressure wheel.

http://majesticturbo.com/30377.html

BTW, who makes the 108 octane unleaded?

I have had good luck with Sunoco GT Plus Unleaded which is 104 Antiknock Index (R+M)/2 and 109 RON, Research Octane.

Guest Cronic

26psi with the l28 engine is just behind the "too much" barrier. ;)

I get 100 and 105(?) from the sonoco station down the street :D

And in clearwater there is unleaded 109. but I can't remember the name of the station or the brand. I have not bought any of them yet. I havent had the need to. :lol: Soon though, I hope :)

Just my guesses here . . .

18psi would get you 330whp at most and 25psi is the right number to be shooting for but i dont think those ringlands are gonna stand for it.

Ellis Autoworks is having their dyno day on the 5th' date=' will you be there?[/quote']

Oh, the ring lands will last for a little while anyway. Kind of like NOS, works good, just the motor lasts half as long.

Guest Cronic

Actually the car is at Ellis right now, they're doing the work to get the car running right. I'm just sooo tired of working on the car and don't have the time to do it myself lately. I've been really sick on and off lately. Which just adds to the situation.

The car may or may not reach 400whp, however I think at 18psi it's definately going to be close to 360whp@~5300rpm. Providing the cam/head can do what I want it to. The turbo will definately get the job done. The main concern I have is the head. The cam and head on these cars just isn't such a great thing. :lol:

I can't wait for forged pistons and the gt35r, but we'll see how this setup works out, and providing how it goes, I may just end up building the head first, and putting the pistons in before blowing another 1200 on a turbo that won't see it's full potential on my car.

Actually the car is at Ellis right now' date=' they're doing the work to get the car running right. I'm just sooo tired of working on the car and don't have the time to do it myself lately. I've been really sick on and off lately. Which just adds to the situation.

The car may or may not reach 400whp, however I think at 18psi it's definately going to be close to 360whp@~5300rpm. Providing the cam/head can do what I want it to. The turbo will definately get the job done. The main concern I have is the head. The cam and head on these cars just isn't such a great thing. :lol:

I can't wait for forged pistons and the gt35r, but we'll see how this setup works out, and providing how it goes, I may just end up building the head first, and putting the pistons in before blowing another 1200 on a turbo that won't see it's full potential on my car.[/quote']

theres a few of us here that have our cars down in the 11's trapping 120+mph with bone stock head and cam. Not saying it wouldnt help, just a heads up.

Guest Cronic

Well If it won't fit, make it fit. In regards to the airflow of the head and cam. :) If need be, i'll just use nitrous to get past the head problem. :lol: I would like to see 11's out of my turd. That'd be nice - and it's not like it's impossible, even on a stock motor, I've seen it. Although that one blew headgaskets like there's no tomorrow. ;)