HybridZ

Hot days! A cooling system that works

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine will get the real test on wed/thurs. i'm heading down to watkins glen for a 2 day school. we've got 90+ degrees today, heat factor puts us over 100 [takes into account the humidity]. i have a wizard cooling rad. all tig welded [not epoxied like some of the big name rads] and made just for my little old ls1 z.

http://www.wizardcooling.com/

The JTR radiator works awsome with a Flex-a-lite 180. It was 100+ here last week and It never even thought about creeping over the setpoint when the fans kicks in. It's like when the fan kicks in the needle stops and doesn't move even on idle, stop and go, and heavy acceleration. Shouldn't it work this well though?

Dang... My Ron Davis with over 2800 cfm of cooling will start to overheat at long stop lights. But I finally figured out the problem. My cooling system itself works, but my setup keeps too much hot air in the engine bay. Gonna wrap the headers again and put some heatshields up. And an aux fan to evacuate engine bay air at stop lights.

what exactly happens when a radiator "boils over"?

The cap says xx lbs on it (at least any aftermarket one does). When pressure builds in the radiator to that pressure, it presses a spring in the cap far enough that it allows water to spray out from under the cap to relieve pressure. It's better than your radiator cracking. :(

I used to think my cooling system was good until the three digit temps hit this summer. I have an Arizona Z aluminum radiator with dual 10" fans behind a full face custom shroud. The temp gauge will stay in the middle or slightly past middle when it's 100 degrees or more. Unfortunatley it's game over when I turn my A/C on. Temps start climbing ever so slowly until I turn the A/C off. My problem is I have an intercooler that covers 3/4 of my radiator. My fans don't pull enough CFM through the intercooler and condensor to cool the fluid before it goes back into the engine.

Space is tight but I'm thinking about trying a 3895 CFM fan from Zirgo.

http://tinyurl.com/rbc6l

I'm just not sure I have room for the fan motor let alone a decent shroud. The jury is out whether a single high CFM unshrouded fan is better than two lower CFM fully shrouded fans.

Honestly, I'm a little annoyed that I went through the trouble of keeping my A/C and can't even use it. Grrrrrrrr :fmad:

I used to think my cooling system was good until the three digit temps hit this summer. I have an Arizona Z aluminum radiator with dual 10" fans behind a full face custom shroud. The temp gauge will stay in the middle or slightly past middle when it's 100 degrees or more. Unfortunatley it's game over when I turn my A/C on. Temps start climbing ever so slowly until I turn the A/C off. My problem is I have an intercooler that covers 3/4 of my radiator. My fans don't pull enough CFM through the intercooler and condensor to cool the fluid before it goes back into the engine.

The same thing happens on mine, 4" intercooler with big condensor. AZC radiator with a/c in 110* it will climb to usually 195* (3/4 on the stock gauge). Turn the a/c off and it will slowly drop 15*. Are you using the stock gauge? I may try the Taurus fan on the next swap.

Are you using the stock gauge? I may try the Taurus fan on the next swap.

Yes, still got the stock gauge. Your description is identical to my situation. I also have considered the Taurus fan. Before I start the project I'm trying to make darn sure I'm going to get the results I desire. I am tired of spending money that nets poor results. Right now I'm only guessing a better fan would solve my problem. Sounds like we have a similar setup so one of us is going to have to be the guinea pig. :mrgreen: Sorry for the rant.

I have a four exchanger stack up front....Intercooler, Oil Cooler, AC Condenser, and radiator. It's a big fin sandwich. I drove it all over on Sunday and it was around 92 degrees out. I had the AC on and the temp gauge was running 1/4-1/2 back and forth. It was actually running cold. I guess the 16" Mr Gasket fan works well; too well.

Stock radiator or stock replacement.

I have a four exchanger stack up front....Intercooler' date=' Oil Cooler, AC Condenser, and radiator. It's a big fin sandwich. I drove it all over on Sunday and it was around 92 degrees out. I had the AC on and the temp gauge was running 1/4-1/2 back and forth. It was actually running cold. I guess the 16" Mr Gasket fan works well; too well.

Stock radiator or stock replacement.[/quote']

OK, I'm convinced. Your 16" fan far out does my dual 10" fans. Could I ask a favor? Would you mind posting a picture of your fan setup behind the radiator and maybe also a pic of what your stack looks like? All of us overheating folks would really appreciate it. You obviously have found a combination that works well. I'll also hesitate a guess that your have your stack installed in a way that still gets decent flow to your radiator. It is strange that your gauge would fluctuate between 1/4 and 1/2. In addition to a good fan could you also have a sticky thermostat? I've just never seen engine temp fluctuate that drastically.

Thanks much!

Well, John came down to my place in 100 degree heat a couple of days ago. A hot 383 driving for a couple of hours in that kind of heat? I would say it works just fine. It should though. It looked awfully expensive. By the way, pretty car John. You've given me a new appreciation for traffic cone orange.

Guest Needa406Z

I was curious what type/if any underbody paneling you guys are using in the front under the radiator core area. I have been experiancing similar overheat problems with my 355 set-up. I am planning on going to a plastics supply store here in Dallas and fabricating up some splash shields to hopefully help force more air through radiator/trans/oil coolers. Instead of air moving in grill and then down under car and not through the COOLING ZONE!

Thanks Silicone boy. Enjoyed the gathering and finally seeing the TT beast in person. I'm still in awe! The amount of work you've accomplished is amazing. You are so, SO close to terrorizing the streets, strips, tracks, car shows! BTW if you ever need another set of hands on any of your cool projects, just call.

I was curious what type/if any underbody paneling you guys are using in the front under the radiator core area. I have been experiancing similar overheat problems with my 355 set-up. I am planning on going to a plastics supply store here in Dallas and fabricating up some splash shields to hopefully help force more air through radiator/trans/oil coolers. Instead of air moving in grill and then down under car and not through the COOLING ZONE!

I have not put the belly pan in that goes below my engine back on. I wonder if cygnusx1 is still running the original pan? I have however sealed my radiator to the back side of the core support and sealed my intercooler and condensor to front side of the core support. None of this helped. I wonder if the belly pan would make a difference?

Are you guys seeing temps climb while idling or while moving?

Most guys say their electric fans never run while moving. And even when they do, the fan usually only runs on low speed.

I dropped all of $18.50 at a pick and pull on a fan from a Lincoln. If you already have the wiring in place for a high current electric fan, then it doesn't sound like an expensive experiment to get a Ford two speed fan and try that out.

I've been having problems keeping mine cool as well.. closed off everything up front so all of the air goes through the radiator, wrapped the headers (boy that made a big difference in compartment heat!), Flex a lite 3300 cfm fan, and a northern alu7minum race radiator.

Driving is fine, temp stays steady, but when I park for a few minutes and come back out, the temp is higher, and then as I go from store to store, it just keeps climbing. So it seems to me that the standard style radiator can't keep up.

I just got this: http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/afcostore/getproduct.cfm?CategoryID=6&ClassID=70&SubclassID=1580&ProductID=2515

Great price! and a double pass 3" radiator, so I will test it the next few days and see what happens!