HybridZ

700whp stock internals(opinions needed)

CantZme

i think we have a motor that might be an alternative to the almighty 2jz:evil: sorry z-gad, these motors are coming up in the food chain...700whp on a stock 2.8 inline 6 with 30psi on a gt35r...this needs to go in a Z.

check this link out http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572535

anybody know how we can get this in a Z? i'm guessing you can mate this motor to the 5 speed e36 gearbox and with a custom driveshaft and an r200lsd and you're good to go. Motor and tranny mounts can be fabricated and maybe even a crossmember. With a mhg, arp head bolts, a standalone, wb02 and a good tune, a reliable 500whp should be easily attainable @ 20psi with a decent turbo(sc61, gt35r, gt45r, somewhere along these lines) I started another thread with this idea but got no responses, tell me what u guys think!? I like the fact that we retain the l28's displacement but with a motor that has a dohc design and very smooth power delivery.

How many main bearings do you think an L6 has?

blckgrnd2.JPG

Sure looks like 7 to me. Wait until someone has built a L28 that will suck 30psi and see what sort of power it puts out.

And call me crazy but 700rwhp from a turbo only rated to 650 flywheel hp.... does this sound suspicious to anyone else?

Dave

With a very good BSFC(IE efficient motor) you can hit 700whp through a manual trans on the GT35R on a dynojet.

I dont see using a BMW motor as the best idea as far as affordable big power build.

BTW, heres my friends stock S2000 F20C engine putting it down:

619whp.JPG

s2k.jpg

I think this will be the motor I'll go with if I can find a manual transmission that will hold the power.

Justin

vbmenu_register("postmenu_668057", true); JustinOlson: Jason tuned that car am i correct?

From what i remember about that S2K, it did make great power but the car was only good for roll races and so on.

I remember Jason saying that the power was great but the power band on the street was just not worth anything.

30psi on a L28 can hit that magic 700hp mark, its all in the tune/timing and the most important (i think) the head work.

In Japan (sorta back in the day) there was 700++++whp L28ET's that would spin to 9K all day, and would make insane torque too!

Those BMW motors are very cool, smooth power bands, great torque, and can make power on stock internals like is show in this thread, but a 2JZ will handle more no matter what on stock internals. That motor is so overbuilt for the factory its just dumb! LOVE IT!

But come on guys, who leaves there internals stock anyways!

BMW motors ain't cheep. And ok, so they made it to 700whp and then had internal issues and found the limit. Personally, that means i'd never push the motor to 600 hp on stock internals, for reliability reasons. Just becuase you can make a certain HP out of a motor or get to a certain RPM doesn't mean it's reliable for every day driving. A 2jZ can reach 700 reliably and even 600 on CA crappy pump gas and drive every day without having to tear down the motor all the time. No THAT'S reliability.

There are also other things that matter other than just main bearing count, such as how the bearings are bolted in. How many bolts there are, what size/diameter the bolts are, ect. Then for stock setups you also have to look at the piston/rod/ring strength to really see what kind of power you can make. Just becuase a block's setup might have high potential doesn't mean the internals do.

But why am I even talking about all this? Does it really matter? Not to me, that's for sure. I don't plan on putting anything over 500 to the ground anytime soon in any motor, so I guess I should just butt out.

You're not going to hurt my feelings. There's no way I would trade my 2JZGTE for a turbocharged 2.8 BMW motor!! :-)

700rwhp on any motor is a beautiful thing though. Sometimes I wonder why I decided to do the built motor as my stocker was running fine...

I too believe the that 700whp can be had with 30psi of boost on the L28. With an average build like mine, 26-27psi gave me approx. 525whp (according to 131mph traps in a 3000lb car). 30psi would put me around 575 or so. I've done some work to the head, but there is still plenty to be had in power there as well as some seious time on the dyno tuning my car. Then up the displacement with a stroker engine (instead of the 2.8L I have) and you'd be at that 700hp mark. Stock internals...I think not, but as shown with the bimmer engine...it lived a long time, didn't it?

It would be an interesting build tho if you had one "just laying around"

• 3 weeks later...

I work with bimmer engines every day for street and racing. Here is the nitty gritty. Don Devendorf and Electramotive and a some tuners from Japan have all made their L28ET Z cars make over 700hp and Electramotive as high as 850hp. The difference is that in the M50/M52 ( M56 is normally in M3 E36 Bimmer as a 3.0/3.2L engine) which is a 2.5L/2.8L, has twin cams with intake (vanos) at variable timing. The cylinder head is an efficient cross flow head with 4 valves per cylinder. What does this all mean. The Bimmer has a broader maximum band with greater levels of volumetric efficiency at many more places within it powerband and because of the intake valve timing , it can do away with the power robbing egr system. Yes, a stock M50 and M52 powered bimmer has no egr. The z car at a similar level of tuning can make the same power, but its max power will be most likely at periods of short spikes in the power band and not like the broad smooth power curve as in the bimmer. Keep in mind that the aluminum block bimmers have more bearing journals to make up for the loss in strenght of the iron blocks. All E36 cars were typically iron bottom ends until 1996 ( but many E36 still had iron blocks after 1996. The IS/Sport version was your only garuntee of an aluminum block). All M series were full aluminum blocks, except for the first gen M6. Oh, and another note, where the L28 needs the intake manifold to be ported or a better one custom made, 1994-5 plastic intake manifolds of the bimmer are so smooth flowing that no modifications are neccessary. Later models had too much smog junk added which inhibited the great flow of the original manifold-~~~~~~my 2.5 cents ;)

Why make the L to bimmer motor comparison mike? Not saying it shouldn't be done, but why? They're completely different era designs and everyone here knows that the major limitation to any L motor is the head.

If you wanna compare the bimmer motor to something compare it to a 7m, 1jz, 2jz, rb25, or rb26 - all of wich share similar potential to the bimmer. Just my perception ;)

Why make the L to bimmer motor comparison mike? Not saying it shouldn't be done' date=' but why? They're completely different era designs and everyone here knows that the major limitation to any L motor is the head.

If you wanna compare the bimmer motor to something compare it to a 7m, 1jz, 2jz, rb25, or rb26 - all of wich share similar potential to the bimmer. Just my perception ;)[/quote']

I was a bit unclear as to my intent. I was trying to point ut that both engines can hit 700hp, but due to design differences the final power production differs.

Believe me, I too have fantasized about a twin-turbo 3.2L Bimmer engine. The L-series at V8 swaps happen to be more affordable for me.

My car made 535 rwh with a turbo /N20 setup.The current setup will use a T67 turbo with around 24-25 psi of boost and a 50-75whp shot of N20.I would like to make around 600rwh or so with the nitrous and as close to 500rwh as I can get with pump gas and methanol injection.But, the head has been proffesionally ported and all contact surfaces have been ceramic/DFL coated.

700hp and a possible bent rod - not that hard to do:shock:

2jz is still the king of inline 6s.

the head has been proffesionally ported and all contact surfaces have been ceramic/DFL coated.

What would the ceramic/DFL coating achieve? Not arguing, just dont quite understand how that will help at all with engine performance?