HybridZ

Anyway to tell if it's a stroker??

heavy85

A member on here recently said that he once in a previous life many years ago knew my car. Said it had a stroker motor in it which the guy I bought it from never mentioned but he was pretty clueless. I rebuilt the motor last year but didn't even think to measure it 'cause at the time I had no reason to. So is there anyway to determine if it is indeed a stroker short of taking it appart?

Thanks

Cameron

You said creative. just throwing out ideas. How about using a wooden dowl (a long one) and removing one of the spark plugs putting it in there and crank manually to see what the piston travel is.

Oh wait. is the angle of the spark plug hole the right angle for this? Oh well.

Use a plumbers small line pipe camera with light on it (just like surgeons use) and go in the oil drain bolt hole to look for the V07 on the throw. Ive used one to make sure a allen screw fell to the bottom of the pan before firing up a Pontiac engine once. And I did see it with the cam laying in the bottom, so i was happy.

All this stuff about checking the crank is good - look for t he V07 etc. But what if the builder used a custom crank like the one ArizonaZcar used to sell or the V07 is removed along with the other casting marks? How could you tell then - you would have to measure the stroke = disassemble. Sorry I through a spanner in the works. You have to assume nothing with an unknown engine.

Use a plumbers small line pipe camera with light on it (just like surgeons use) and go in the oil drain bolt hole to look for the V07 on the throw. Ive used one to make sure a allen screw fell to the bottom of the pan before firing up a Pontiac engine once. And I did see it with the cam laying in the bottom, so i was happy.

I like that idea and it's about time to change the oil anyway. Where exactly would I see the V07 marking - anyone got pics?

Thanks

Cameron

Locating a boreoscope to look at the crank might prove to be difficult. Here is a thought that I had to give you an idea if it is a stroker. Put it on a dyno... in general a well tuned bone stock L28 puts out 110 rwhp plus or minus a few, if the dyno shows about 130 rwhp or better you can make a reasonable assumption that the motor is a stroker, if it is between 110 and 130 it could be a well tuned (strong running) L28, and if it comes out less than 110 it is a reasonable assumption that it is not a stroker.

Strokers tend to have a fairly early torque curve and a fairly flat torque curve as well so that would be something else to look for and strokers tend to have more torque than hp. As you already know from many of the previous post the only real way to know is to pull it apart and measure everything else is up for debate.

Dragonfly

Cameron's engine has triple carbs, cam, all the goodies if I remember correctly. I'd tend to think it should make ~230 whp if it is an L28. My L28 with triples makes ~240 whp according to the drag racing trap speed calculators. If it were a stroker I'd expect it to make 10% more due to the 10% increase in displacement from 2.8 to 3.1.

Pull the pan dude. It's not that bad. I seem to remember fishing the stock pan out without any trouble. When I replaced it with the AZC pan I had to jack one side of the engine up a bit for clearance.

I picked up a stroker crank off Yahoo Auctions (for a little less than that one :) ) but oil/distributor drive gear isn`t there....I`m assuming the LD28 and L28 cranks have the same drive gear right?

And Briann...are you using an 85mm throw or a 4mm overbore?

4mm

We have 9000 miles of very hard brutal abuse of this engine and every shift at or above 6K and cruising rpms always at 4K or over with no overheating problems, oil useage, no thin wall problems and nothing busted etc etc. Its one damn good engine.