HybridZ

everyone that has built a custom intake for the L6

turbobluestreak

I was considering this part for a short time. The big thing is this. You will have to be flowing a fair amount of air to make the 80mm TB worth anything. So you can get the numbers, @ 600hp you will be consuming bout 1050 CFM into the engine. So if you look at that figure the 80mm part is good for flow restriction considerations.

The thing that makes this part a little difficult is the amount of air it will flow with the throttle plate cracked open during cruise. You will find it somewhat a pain getting the gas pedal right to run at light loads. That is what I have seen with a 62mm TB and compared that to a 60mm TB I like the 60mm part better, as it is easier to drive the car.

I guess it could be a little more efficient, but I don't run my car at WOT all of the time, so a little restriction is ok for me, just get a bigger turbo that is capable of getting into the 3.2 pressure ratio levels and you should be just fine.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Bob Sharp Car did stay with the centrally-mounted T/B. That is a good photo of their setup.

The Q45 T/B has a throttle cable actuation, but it is linkaged to the throttle shaft through a VERY non-linear cam action. The first....probably 25-30% of throttle travel will only crack the throttle.

I will lay money the Q45 T/B will have better drivability characteristics than the 62mm unit JeffP currently has on his car.

• 6 months later...

I have yet to see an offshore racer work well with turbos for longer than a single race.

Ask reggie fountain (fountain powerboats), he pioneered using turbos in research boat/engine combinations for mercury marine but all his race boats ended up using superchargers though that may have changed.

I love turbos and every car I drive (except my terminator wagon) are turbocharged but there is an unbelievable amount of danger in using turbos since most every offshore racer has headers that have water jackets..........for good reason.

These headers for a big block chevy go for about $2,600 to $3,000 each.

When I was a service manager at an offshore type boat dealership selling fountains, I asked Reggie and he said safety is number 1 on anything that bears his name..........now that doesn't keep others from doing it but I'll bet current regulations in any offshore racing sanctioning body still say "no" to turbos.

Imagine the expense in shrouding your entire exhaust system and the hot side of the turbocharger with water jacketing and you will see that losses start to crop up right away.