HybridZ

Jtr + Ls1?

Spent the last two nights going through pages and pages of old posts here, but I have yet to find the answer to a simple question (that or I got a severe case of information overload and totally missed it). Does JTR offer a kit specifically for the LS engines, or do they only have the kit for the LT1 and earlier SBC's?

No info on JTR's site specifying if they do or not, but in the course of my travels here I could have swarn I saw where someone mentioned using a JTR kit to swap in a LS motor. I hate to call them knowing I'm not yet ready to order anything, so I'm hoping someone here can give me a definite answer. If not I'll go with the JCI kit, but some of their additional componenets are a little pricey IMO.

the JTR headers have bigger diameter primary tubes than the JCI ones.

Actually I am not sure why anyone would buy the JCI headers.

The JCI mount kit is suppose to be pretty good. Seem like a lot of money until you realize how much work it is to engineer your own. Besides, not everyone has the tools and patience to do it on their own. There is something to be said for getting the job done.

Making your own cross member is not that difficult.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105868

Just a lot more trial and error involved.

After installing my nissan v8 some 16 years ago I decided to do the ls1 conversion now at first i was like most people i thought that sounds a lot money for the Jci kit but soon as i started thinking it through i decided it was cheap i mean the engineering is all done u know its gonna fit first time no measureing making it trying it then cursing it changing it like so many things i did with the nissan v8

My time to me now is way to restricted to muck around trying it mutiple times to make it fit

I hate to think how many hours i spent making my extractors for the nissan

So to me the JCI kit ant cheap but think how many hours you loose trying to do it your self

Mick

Having lived through the 11 months that JCI mucked around with my car developing the kit I can confirm that it is, in deed, well engineered. A lot of thought and trial-and-error went into each componenet to ensure that it not only did what it was supposed to do but didn't cause a problem somewhere else. Four years and 25,000+ miles now and everything is still solid.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So which Headers from JTR is everyone using, they sell two types for the Z:

1) Block Hugger - 1 5/8" Primary tubes, 2.5" collector-Ceramic Coated (DAT-402C) $300

Can't tell if these fit on the LSx engines or the LT1/350

2) LS1 Shorty Headers - 1 3/4" Primary tubes, 3" collector-Ceramic Coated (DAT-405C) $475

These ones are advertised as being able to fit with John's Cars mounts.

I'm assuming #2 is the one people are using but hoping they both work as $475 seems a bit high for short headers.

I used the JCI kit and for a first timer it went really well. I also used the coated headers from JTR which were a little pricey but very nice, and with all the $$ I have put into this car the little extra for the coated Sanderson's doesn't seem like that much. I also used the JTR radiator but got pretty much every thing else from John's.

Mike