HybridZ

PICS: Custom rollcage fabrication/install

Wow! Very nice. I love the door bars, and I love the A pillar bars. Very tight to the body of the car.

Question: How are you welding the top of the bars that are next to the ceiling? I'm contemplating how to do this myself, and I've heard three solutions:

1. cut off roof, weld bars, weld roof back on

2. cut holes in roof, weld bars, patch roof

3. leave bars hanging low enough to access top of the bars

I don't like option 3, and it almost seems like option 1 is easier than option 2. What did you do? Was it one of these or something else entirely?

Wow! Very nice. I love the door bars' date=' and I love the A pillar bars. Very tight to the body of the car.

Question: How are you welding the top of the bars that are next to the ceiling? I'm contemplating how to do this myself, and I've heard three solutions:

1. cut off roof, weld bars, weld roof back on

2. cut holes in roof, weld bars, patch roof

3. leave bars hanging low enough to access top of the bars

I don't like option 3, and it almost seems like option 1 is easier than option 2. What did you do? Was it one of these or something else entirely?[/quote']

Thanks! : )

You forgot option #4: Cut holes in the floor and lower the cage - weld the top - lift up and patch up the floor/weld base plates.

We used #3 pretty much. It's pretty tight but still accessible with the use of a stick welder.

I've done option 1 and option 4. I will only do option 1 after explaining it in detail to the customer and the customer is comfortable with it. There's nothing like the look of sheer terror on a customer's face when they walk in the shop and there's no roof on their car - and they were not warned.

Just thinking outloud, but on my next cage I would use the upper u-shape design similar to this:

endcage.jpg

only tack the front down tubes in the initial mock up, weld the bottom halves of the upper rears, remove the front tubes, angle the remaining 2 pieces forward, finish the weld on top and put it all back.

with the roll cage in my rx4 the guy building it made it abot 3" shorter than needed welded it all up then made up metal boxes to fit under the legs and lift it up to the roof really simple way to do plus gave bigger area welded to car to support roll cage

Cage was tested out when second navigator ended for ended 2nd rx4 6 times cage measured perfect no distortion at all

mick

Also hear rumors that old cages such as the Autopower will not be grandfathered in any more. They want the main hoops to attach to the floor area and the older Autopower cages that attach to the inner fender won't be legal.:icon56:

To me option #5 as zed240au alluded to is probably the easiest, as you can do your welding, then adjust the height of not only the main hoop but also your the front of the cage to butt up against the windshield pillar/roof if you build up boxes off the rocker area under the hoops.

There is another option that was done by my buddy Jerry the owner of http://www.zraceproducts.com. This may not be legal for SCCA etc. so if you try this method be sure to check the rules first.

Jerry built his cage in a very similar fashion to Mull but after each piece was made and test fitted he did the following.

1. Assembled the cage in the car and put a single small tack weld at each joint just to hold it together.

2. Marked a "cut" line on all the tubes that would allow the cage to be cut and removed without touching a welded joint. (cut line should be at least 4" from welded joint)

3. Put locator marks at each joint then cut the spot welds to remove the cage.

4. Use a large tubing cutter to cut the cage on the cut lines from step #2.

5. Weld all the joints together using your locator marks from step #3. Add any gussets that you want and prep and paint the cage at this point.

6. 1 1/2" from the point were the cage is cut in step #4 drill a 3/8" to 1/2" hole through both walls of the tube. Do this on each piece i.e. when you put them back together both pieces should have a hole drilled all the way through it.

7. Take a 4" length of tubing (of the same material as your cage) that has an OD just slightly smaller than the ID of your cage tubes and insert it 2" into the cage tube (the side you use is determined by which direction you want to assemble it in the car) and plug weld it in place through both holes. Do this on one side of each cut making sure you can assemble it in the car.

8. Assemble the cage in the car by fitting all the pieces together.

9. After assembly is complete plug weld the rest of the holes.

After step #9 you can touch up and repaint the areas that you had to clean for welding. The plug welds are not as strong as your other welds but they do not need to be as they will not encounter shear forces great enough to break them without bending your cage in half first.

I do not have any pictures of his cage to show but I can answer any questions any one may have about it.

Dragonfly

Nice work. Like to see the main diagonal before you weld it in. I prefer my door bars about 5 inches apart with a couple verticals spacing them- stiffer and breaks upt the space where pieces of the other guy's car can penetrate when you get T-Boned. Did I say nice work?

I'm not really uptodate on the rules for door bars, but what is the advantage to this design over this design? It would seem the first example would be easier to get in and out of, but not as strong. Is there a strength advantage to bending the door bars towards eachother and welding together?

bur06.jpg

VS

100_0628.jpg

Nice work. Like to see the main diagonal before you weld it in. I prefer my door bars about 5 inches apart with a couple verticals spacing them- stiffer and breaks upt the space where pieces of the other guy's car can penetrate when you get T-Boned. Did I say nice work?

I've been biting my lip, but I have to agree on both points, outstanding work, but I'm in favor of the vertical spacers as well. But depending on the application, this is probably entirely adequate, perhaps a street/open track car. I'd venture to guess that wouldn't pass SCCA w2w tech.

I'm not really uptodate on the rules for door bars, but what is the advantage to this design over this design? It would seem the first example would be easier to get in and out of, but not as strong. Is there a strength advantage to bending the door bars towards eachother and welding together?

Door bar design seem to be good enough for Subaru Rally cars:

http://www.rally.subaru.com/images/building/b26.jpg

Also, we ain't done yet ... Still got more pieces to the puzzle.

http://www.rally.subaru.com/images/b28.jpg

This cage isn't being built to regulations since I won't use it to compete.

It'll be used for autoX, trackdays, street racing, the occasional drag strip meet, etc.

If it gets boring doing that - I'll upgrade to a CrMo cage built to regulations.

Simple as that : )

I think you could make it better (SCCA legal?) for the side impact issue by running another bar from the middle of the door bars down to the rocker, or if you wanted you could run another bar right on top of the rocker, then run a bar from the middle of the existing bar down to it.

I really like Steve Parmley's setup for door bars, that's probably the one that I'll copy: showphoto.php?photo=2889&cat=500&ppuser=1154

The only thing I think I might do differently is to have the front end of the top door bar be lower to make it easier to climb in and out.