HybridZ

l28et or V8? first swap - daily driver?

240zV8

Ok, i've been doing alot of thinking lately. I have the JTR book, and have done all kinds of searching over these months. I thought i was set on going with a 350 in the 76' 280, but this will be my first solo swap and i hear the l28et is much more suited for a novice and still can get good power. I helped put a 350 in a old chevy coupe last year, but I didn't do much except hold stuff and help bolt it down, and a z is a different swap. So i need some input on what you guys think would work out best for my situation, being my first swap, want a somewhat daily driver reliable but quick Z. I have a daily driver chevy truck i use for work, but with the Z i was hoping to get better gas milage with for recreational driving and all that non work driving, since my truck gets like 14mpg give or take. I still want power, but i won't see the track or strip in the near future, so good street power is what i'm looking for (200-240hp), and hoping for 25mpg.... So that brings me to the question, if you were doing ur FIRST swap again, and didn't have money to burn on extra power for racing, but still want a fun fast reliable engine, would u go l28et, or a stock 350?....to start with.

Hey 240zv8, where north of Seattle are you?

up in bellingham.... i see you have both the swaps i'm thinking about. Which one do u like better for street/freeway/canyon driving? I still want a 350 because they have so much potential and are pretty simple, it's just the l28et bolts in and i can swap alot from the 280zx other than the drivetrain. But i've found plenty of lt1 donor cars (I'm pretty good at figuring out wiring...i think..lol), and 350 donor cars for pretty cheap. I didn't even consider the l28et until i read how so many people like them and how easy the swap is, and still can get 300-400hp if u wanted pretty easily.

I've had both and I think it comes down to personal preference. I loved driving the V8 Z around town but I just like the feel, sounds, and tunability of the turbo motor. If you know anyone with a V8 or turbo swap, take a ride or ask if you can take a test drive so you can make your decision. You should be able to pull off either swap. The V8 swap may take longer because of the bolt in nature of the turbo swap.

Stock for stock a V8 is a better choice. You won't have to use premium fuel and it will have all the torque off idle. To get good power on pump gas (300+ rwhp) out of an L28 turbo you'll need a bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler, standalone ecu, and a clutch that will hold it. It will add up quick. Those parts added to the V8 will make twice the power of the L28T.

If you can swap one you can probably swap the other as well, so I wouldn't use that as criteria for deciding which way you want to go. I think you should pick what you like best and something you won't tire of quickly. If you want dependability, high stock horsepower, and good mileage you can't beat a late model Chevy V8 (LT1 or LSx if you can swing it). An L28 can make some power, but it will take some work to make it happen.

Think about what your end goal is and then create a plan that will get you there. If you like the L series engines don't bother throwing in a V8 and vice versa.

i've been looking locally and can't come up with a decent 280zx for the engine, so i think i should just do it right the first time and go with a nice 350 (or lt1 if i can find a good price on one). Thats the swap i've been planning for 6 months or so. I think i'll be happier doing it instead of somthing i wasn't sure about... so thanks for the input everyone, i just got alittle anxious about making the right choice for what i want. But i know i'll eventually want to build a engine that will tear the frame off the z...lol...so getting the car setup for a v8 in the first place is a great start...

i have a turbo l28 z .the only advantage after the car is running is fuel mileage if you use the car for a daily driver.i just did a bunch of work on the car because i have saved a bunch of parts up.a car with lots of torque is more fun to drive= v8.i am dreaming of a ford 302 with afr heads and mechanical full roller valve train.with 5.4" rods.something that will rev to 8000 rpm.i like the sound-and motor that revs like my sportbike.

well personally i think u should go wit what u can find...i plan on doing a lsx swap somewhere down the line but i came across a 280zxt motor for dirt cheap so i decided to get some experence by swaping the turbo motor first just to get an understanding on troubleshooting swaps and wiring... then move upward to the lsx swap...but if u can find a donor car chevy for cheap...id say go for it!

There's no such thing as "Too much" so I'd go with the 350.

Oh' date=' and remember that "Can't never did", so get cracking with the can do attitude, it's not as hard as you think.[/quote']

So a stock l28et would be slower than a stock 350 out of a old chevy truck or somthing (considering there both running well)? A LT1 would be my choice if i can find 1 cheap..

It's gonna be a daily driver (not driven everyday because i have a work truck) but it won't be raced unless it's at a stop light. But i love having to much power (I've had a couple R1 streetbike's and love that arm wrenching feeling). And I've never had that feeling in a car other than a few ride's in a friends turbo s4, he also had a 76 280z l28 when we were in highschool and it was fun to get sideways but it didn't have that power i've always wanted, but it was quick. But i have lots of time, and soon will have money to spend frequently on upgrade's to either engine i get... and i love to learn so i want to rebuild the engine myself (except the neccesary machine work)....so back to the topic, stock l28et for stock 350...which is faster (both running good)?

I'd go with a V8 as Clifton stated above. You can easily get 300hp streetable torque and much more reliable compared to tweaking in a turbo setup. The V8 is not a hard swap. JTR makes it very possible and there are many here who can help you through it.

As far as mileage goes my Z does 16 mpg in 6th at a 75mph cruise speed. Not bad for all that power on tap. Compared to my 2006 toyota tacoma 4x4 2.7 liter 4 cyl does 19 on average.

yea thats what i'm thinking ^, i just have to find another Z because the sunroof wasn't gonna work for me... if i'm gonna spend all the time building my car, i can't compromise somthing like having a sunroof when i don't want one. So i'm just gonna pick up a 350 when i find a solid one, and build the engine while i'm on the hunt for a Z. I want 350 hp, but my first build i'll prolly end up somewhere around 250...lol...

I got a question about building a engine. If i get a solid running 350 out of a truck or camaro or whatever i find, how much horsepower can u get from just rebuilding the top end without any machine work or complete dissasembly? Like new intake, carb, exhaust...I want to do it myself, and i know i can't build a complete engine yet, so i want to start with the top end.... What books, or websites would u recommend for what i want to do? I'm still in college so i try to do everything i can without paying a shop to do somthin i can learn to do.

What do you mean by rebuilding the top end?

If you mean cam swap, intake and carb. How much horsepower potential you have really depends on which 350 you get.

Start with one that has a good set of heads. Vortec heads came on late model trucks and those heads will support 400 hp, but the spring seats need to be machined for different springs. LT-1's are also a nice choice, but I think If I found a deal on that engine I would leave the fuel injection and not convert to a carb.

Grab as many parts as you can off the donor car and hopefully that will help to limit how much other stuff you will need later. Often times it is cheaper to just buy the whole car and be able to pull parts as you need them.