HybridZ

Got Scaled and Aligned. QUESTIONS

v80z

Well yesterday i went to RPM motorsports here in Yorktown VA. They are a Grand Am cup team here in my area. Anyway they were setting up the owners z. So I asked while they had the scales and strings setup could I be next. So on the scale I went. Car weighs 2570# with a 1/2 load of fuel. Found that the right front was toed in 15mm and left front was toed in 12 mm. The right rear was 0 and left rear out 1.5mm. String alignment. Well we corrected the fronts to 3 mm in. Front to rear the car was almost 50/50. Cross was 53% without me in it. When I got in it of course the majority of the added weight went to the left rear.

The tires I have are not allowing me to get the ride height correct. 255/50/16s. so I have 3 choices. Roll the lips even more. Cut them and use flares. Stretch a 245/45/16 on 10 inch rims. Can be done. What would you do?

The coilovers are dialed most of the way up to help clearance the tires. I need to get the car down.

That's a LOT of toe in. A LOT. MUCHO toe in. Is everything else in good shape, like the ball joints and tie rods? I just can't imagine that you could drive around with that much toe in all the time and not know it. I think you'd know it because the tires would be burning off the front of the car with more than an inch of toe in.

245 isn't stretched all that much on a 10" rim. 245mm = 9.64". 255 is just about perfect at 10.03". I'd flare the car properly to fix the problem you have there, and try to run 245s on a 9 and 255 or 265s on a 10, but 245 on a 10 isn't that bad.

I run 255/50/16 tires on the rear of my Z also. They used to stick out far enough that if I hit much of a bump or dip while on the freeway I could hear the tires rub. I decided to put flares on the car which give me almost 3 inches more room for the tires. This is a picture of the car almost ready for paint but with the flare easy to see.

P10100053.JPG

I did mock up the rear suspension with my tires on it and the tires cleared through there entire range of travel. My personal opinion is that if you want to run tires the size you have you should definately put flares on the car.

Dragonfly

He corrected it to 3mm toe in on the front. That's not that much.

Yeah, but I'm sure nobody set the toe to 27mm toe in, which leads me to believe that something is worn out and that is what lead to the massive toe in that he had. The fact that it was that far off doesn't guarantee that something is worn out, but it should be a red flag.

OK Jon, that makes sense... I do agree that the original number was WAY out there...

Joe, Being an old ITS racer, I'm sure you have upgraded the suspension tie rods and ball joints, and other hard bits, right???

Mike

Doug

I will get with Brady soon. Gotta get to the dyno for some baseline before I slap on a new set of heads. But when I get serious about going to the track I will see him as well. RPM is right up the street from brady. Maybe you have seen it. They usually set the race cars outside. The owner is an old aquaintance and actuall built the house we are in now as well as the next one.

Mike As you probably remember

I have had this chassis for 18 months. since completing the v8 conversion I have been working bugs and driving it on the street. this was a first move towards getting it track ready. all of the things everyone has mentioned will be gone over. As far as upgrade in suspension just sectioned strut towers , coilovers, adjustable camber plates, new cartridges. all stock control arms so far. Toyota brakes up front with carbotech race pads. Home made rear disk conversion. It will be awhile for I get to the track but being in a race shop again and talking the the talk started bringing it back.