HybridZ

Right hand drive conversion

Guest 1976 Z

Guest 1976 Z

to me it looks like there is a hole in the firewall in the exact same place on the passanger side as it is on the drivers side. i was just going to re-enforce the area where the steering goes through the fire wall and then cut the brake booster and clutch holes exactly like they are on the drivers side. i was thinking of doing a custom dash anyways. it almost seems to easy...

Chelle changed to RHD on her Z car conversion to a Ferrari 250 GTO (along with a bunch of other things including stretching the chassis and adding a BMW V12). She is not using the Z car dash but you might want ask her what was involved with the mechanicals, wipers, wiring, etc.

• 1 year later...
Guest supercharged300zx

so i just recently purchased a 1986 300zx. its a lil project, which is the way i wanted it. anyhow, long story short, i want to convert to a rhd. i've heard of several ways of doing it, such as cuttin out the firewall, and flippin it around. i was just wondering if anyone knows if thats the best way to go about it. and can i just flip the rack and pinion around like ive been told? that part doesnt make any sense to me. and while im at it, does anyone know how hard it is to swap out the digital gauges for the anilog counterparts? any help would be great. thanks for reading this and thanks for any possile help in this matter.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread, but I've searched and I'm still wondering something...

...the "normal" LHD 240Z engine is purposely mounted at a right hand offset to compensate for the drivers' weight and keep a good balance throughout the car.

To retain said balance, wouldn't you need to modify the motor mounts/spacers to offset more to the left? Since, without doing that, you're just adding more weight to the right side and totally throwing off the natural good balance of the car...

...the "normal" LHD 240Z engine is purposely mounted at a right hand offset to compensate for the drivers' weight and keep a good balance throughout the car.

To retain said balance, wouldn't you need to modify the motor mounts/spacers to offset more to the left? Since, without doing that, you're just adding more weight to the right side and totally throwing off the natural good balance of the car...

Who told you that the LHD 240Z engine was mounted "...at a right hand offset..."? I'd check my sources if I were you.

If you are talking about the angle that the engine was mounted at, then this was to do with vertical packaging rather than any RHD or LHD "balance" problems.

There's a good argument to suggest that the RHD layout took a natural bias - considering that Japan was/is an RHD market and that the drivetrain of the car was sourced from predominantly RHD-oriented models like the Laurel and Skyline - but the S30-series Z was quite purposely designed and engineered to cater for both RHD and LHD configurations from it's conception.

If you are concerned about chassis "balance", then you can achieve most of what you want/need with corner weighting and adjust accordingly.........

Who told you that the LHD 240Z engine was mounted "...at a right hand offset..."? I'd check my sources if I were you.

The JTR V8 conversion manual is my source.

...taken directly from page 3 of the introdution...

It should be noted that the stock Datsun 6-cylinder engine is also offset to the passengers side....

The JTR V8 conversion manual is my source.

...taken directly from page 3 of the introdution...

I should imagine that is reference to the vertical 'offset' ( or slant ) of the engine, rather than any horizontal offset.

That vertical slant was purely for packaging reasons. Nissan's L-series six cylinder engines were first used in the H130-model 'Cedric Special Six' of 1965, and went on to power a wide variety of models and variants. In most of these it was installed at an angle to improve packaging, and most of the componentry was designed to suit ( think of transmissions for example ). There was a natural design bias towards RHD configurations - simply because the majority of vehicle types using the engines were RHD - but this did not affect LHD installations too seriously.

I've converted a car from LHD to RHD, pretty easy when you get into it, some pics can be found HERE on pages 2 and 3

Tim

Since you've done this conversion I’m going to pick your brain. Here are my questions:

1. could you give us a list of ALL the parts you had to get from a rhd car to convert your lhd car to a rhd car?

2. Did you have to do any modifications to the body/ frame of the lhd car, or did all the parts bolt on perfectly?

I guess that’s enough for now. We’ll get into more detail once we get answers for these.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

From the look of it (LHD & RHD) sitting side by side, everything seem to be the same. Except the dashboard and the steering column. According to my friend, he said the RHD-driver floor is different from LHD (supposedly weaker). Other then that I can't tell the different. I can get pictures but not until next couple of weeks.