HybridZ

got asked? ever get beat?

SURE, anyone that says he never lost a race either lies about it or seldom plays games, sure I get beat a times, driving my corvettes.

EXAMPLE

I was sitting at a red light out in the sticks at 2 am when this x8 jag pulls up next to me, the first night I had the 250 hp nitrous system,installed on my full roller 11:1 cpr :whip: 383, he takes off and Im thinking youve got to be kidding me, I easily pull along side without even useing the nitrous,hell, I don,t even hit 5500rpm to pass him, Im looking for my first victim and theres NO ONE ELSE AROUND, I get stupid and at 35-40 mph I think, lets embarass jerk, I flip the arming switch and push the button, Im instantly two car lengths ahead but theres an extreemely loud noise from the rear, I shut off, he zips bye and I pull over to find my half shaft with a busted u-joint,(time to call my younger son, use his the sons,truck,and get trailer home)

seems stock u-joints and 700 ft lbs of nitrous induced tq don,t play well together , that the first but hardly the last time a u-joint didn,t like nitrous

On behalf of that red-faced, red-porsche driver, I will tell a story of him losing. I was in my wifes '92 Subaru Legacy wagon (ugly ass car) going to Yankee stadium in the Bronx. We were at a two lane traffic light with my wife in the pass seat, father-in-law in the back seat with his GF. I was in the left lane somebody else was in the right lane and a red 911 pulled to the left of me on the stripes (illegally) to try to holeshot the green light and pass me. Kidding around, I rev'd the old Legacy up a few times. The 911 driver revs too. I hold the rev's up to about 4500 when I see the lights changing and dumped the clutch at the green light. The 911 driver gets caught off guard and stalls it! HaHaHaHa I win :wink::-) ...the Yankees lost.

"Give us a good story grumpy. One where you don't have an excuse "

OK! hell, Ive screwed up a few times, (heres stupid when I was young and dumb )

example

at one time I had thought that all you really needed was a good deal more HP,than your competition, to win all the time....

we installed a 12.5:1 cpr 377 sbc with a radical flat tappet solid lifter cam and BROWNFIELD HEADS, dual quads, ETC. (I think thats what AFR was called back when dinosaurs roamed the pits, in my youth) we had built in a stripped out vega station wagon (similar to this below)for you guys too young to know what a vega is,we had installed a ford 9" rear 4.88:1 and a partial roll cage,tubbed the rear, and had a th400 with the original internals but a 4000rpm stall converter

1974_Chevy_Vega.jpg

we were convinced the car would run decent times, as we had the weight down to about 2900lbs, as we knew the engine produced an easy 400 plus rear wheel hp, which was damn good for a 377 in the mid 1970s, short burn outs were impressive, we could pull the front tires (barely) and smoke the slicks at will, but had never had the car up over about 65mph the first night we took it too the track.

we bet about $300 against a guy in a strait axle 55 chevy with a fiberglass tip-off front cap that we could kick his butt, in the 1/4, now back then, you knew the track officals by name as they were mostly fellow delinquents/car nuts... we get lined up, on the wednesday night run what you brought heads up racing meet at about 8pm, the money changes hands in the pits ....the lights go down, and the cars launch together,my time was in the high 12s, his deep in the 11s, our group felt like fools, we had never tested the engine on a full run...we found out at a cost of $300 what a stupid mistake that was...

as we launched, I had been gaining on the 55 chevy, but at about 2/3rds track the cars engine had lost power and started missing badly, letting off the throttle and getting back into it prodiuced good power for an instant but then the missing returned.......later investigation showed the fuel pump/lines and regulator could just not quite supply the necessary fuel flow rate required, we had simply run out of fuel at 2/3rds track, simply doing a few practice runs and testing would have saved us $300 and we would not have looked like fools/novices. now naturally we wanted a rematch, but since we had pulled the guy by several car lengths up untill 1/2 track, he never did give us a rematch

youve gotta be smart,keep in mind this was all high tech, cutting edge stuff back in the mid 70s and LEARNING to TEST things BEFORE YOU BET A WEEKS WAGES, HURT, but you learn that the hard way!

BTW the car eventually ran consistent 11.09-10.980 times

1977 and I'm at a stoplight in my 1966 GTO that has a 1972 Pontiac SD 455 engine, Muncie M22 4 speed, 4:11 rear gears in a 12 bolt posi. Rear suspension is stock with old shocks (some may know where I'm going with this).

A brand new silver anniversary Corvette pulls up next to me, driver puts his car in neutral, and revs the engine. Looks like one of the local dealership salesman driving, after his usual liquid lunch. I give him a thumbs up, the light turns green, I sidestep the clutch at 2,500 rpm, and all hell breaks loose!

The whole car is shaking, the sun visors are flopping down, the glove box door slams open onto my passenger's shins, and the transmission pops out of first. I let off the gas and look around to see the Corvette moving away into the distance. I put the clutch in, put the car back into first, and drive carefully into a parking lot. We look under and around the car and find nothing wrong. The car drives normally and I try a few more semi-hard launches with no strangeness. I tell a friend who drag races a 1967 Chevelle and after he stops laughing he explains the traction hop problem common to the GM 4 link coil over rear suspension. New shocks, Lakewood ladders bars, and relocating the upper link pivots and the problem never re-appeared. Neither did the Corvette for a re-match.

In 1965 I had a Sunbeam Tiger. One night my roommate and I were cruising around, sitting at a light when two girls in a brand new GTO pulled up next to us. Some engine revs from their car indicated they wanted to race. The light changed and I dumped the clutch at around 3000. I don't think the girl knew how to drive since I put a huge hole shot on the Goat. I slowed down to allow them to pass and then followed them. They drove into the local park, cool, we're thinking things are looking good. They stopped in the road and I pulled up next to them. We attempted to talk but my car was pretty loud so I turned off the engine. After a few minutes a car came from behind us so I needed to get out of the road. I hit the key…nothing…WTF! We ended up pushing it off the road. By now I was in panic, to hell with the girls my car is dead! After a few futile attempts at getting the car to turn over we asked the girls to drive us home, how embarrassing. It turned out I had torn up the clutch on the 3000 RPM dump and part of it ended up in the bendix of the starter, apparently a common problem with Tigers. By the end of the week I had a Cobra racing clutch installed, that never happened again.

I have a couple stories, here's the first.

It's a cool August night in South Jersey, the summer of 04 before my senior year of highschool, late. My friends told me about a buddy they knew from the local votech school that had a fox body mustang with a 351 that wanted to race me, so I said sure I'll race. I had my 69 Camaro with the basic mods, 355, mucie M20, 3.08 open rear with tiny 215 no namer tires, headers, holley, comp cam, I had it in the low 14's. Fifteen minutes later we're driving out to the country to meet this guy. At this time I was only 17 and I had just recently gotten my car on the road, so I didn't know much. We finally get there and I check out his car. Talk about intimidating, about a 93'ish mustang convertable, full cage and slicks, sounded mean.

After a breif talk we head out to a nice straight road not too far away, dropped off my passengers, then headed down to the starting line with my buddy who was going to flag us. We both do descent burnouts, I did a pretty big one trying to heat up my skinney tire with my open rear. We line up and I hear the mustang guy talking to my buddy he said "are you sure that car only goes 14's?". I laughed. Before I knew it I had the needle at about 2,500 rpm's and my buddie's hands were dropping. My car stalls and I can see a fire under the hood through the rear of my cowl, so I jump out and put it out with a rag, it was just the carb. So the mustang comes back and we line up again. Needle is at 2,500 r's, hands drop, I pop the clutch as fast as I can and spin one tire for about 100 ft while peddaling the gas, the mustang gets 2 cars on me from the start. I slam second and leave another ten feet of rubber on the pavement. I'm catching him fast, tach hits 6,000 rpm's and I mash the competition plus shifter hard into 3rd, another chirp from my one tire and the mustang was growing quick. I thought to myself, "I'm gonna beat him!" ,but it was too late, we had run out of road and I lost by half a car. It was a fair race though and I had fun. I've been wanting to race this guy ever since, now I have a 12 bolt posi with 3.73's and the car is in the 12's, who knows if that will ever happen again.

Second story:

It's my first semester of college in Kansas, fall 05, I might have been there a month. By now I had my 85 300ZX with a 305 chevy and a saginaw three speed stick, open R200. The 305 was a stock, half worn out, late eighties truck engine with a holley 600 vacuum secondary 4 barrel, and points ignition, the car ran descent. One night I got talking to this kid I had met one day while I was working on my car in the parking lot, the subject came to racing and his buddies jeep with a 302. He suggested we race, I agreed. I had to write a speech for my Rhetoric class for the next day, so after that, about 11pm, I went over, knocked on his door and said I was ready to go. Me and my roommate and about four cars full of people head out to one of the many straight barren roads in kansas. We talked breifly about the race and how they would start it, headlights, then we drove down to the start. My opponents vehicle was a 41 Willy's Jeep pickup with a basic 302 and five speed, this thing was really nice, just redone. We each do a small burnout and line up next to the starting telephone pole. I rev my engine to an unknown, but steady rpm, no tach, and wait for the headlights to flash. The first flash is sent, then the second, and finally the third and I dump the clutch violently and burry the gas pedal into the carpet. The truck immidiately takes about a 1.5 car lead. Thoughts of total and udder disapointment rush through my mind, "All the work I did to this car and this is what happens?". But it's not over untill its over. I hit second hard but cautiously, the shifter had a habbit of hanging up, a small chirp came from the rear and the car squated hard. I was catching him like he was standing still and a huge smile came to my face. Just as we got wheel to wheel I grabbed the third and final gear, I was gone! I was giggling like a school girl as I watched the Jeep's headlights shrink in my rearview. As I blasted by the spectators I could see the astonished look on their faces. My $1,200 pile of free parts which included: the car, engine, and tranny, just blew away a $20,000 truck. I was so happy I forgot to pick up my roommate. My car was the talk of the school the next week, most people hated it, I couldn't have been more proud

I got my butt kicked once, in a totally un-fair race to my advantage, but my car wasn't up to it. Yes, that's my excuse.

I was in Wilson, KS, for the 4th of July weekend a few years ago. I'd driven out in my 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel and was partying with some friends. Some kid came over who'd just gotten his license and managed to get out of the house with his older brother's late 80s fire-bird. I was the only other person there with a car capable of 100+, and he wanted to race.

I didn't want to, knowing I'd get my butt kicked, but I finally agreed. We headed out on the highway about 12:30 (AM) and I yelled out the window a quick count-down. From neutral at 5K (redline at 5500) I dropped the car into low (automatic, yea I know, but they didn't make it in a manual) and left a small amount of rubber as I took off, reaching all 9lbs of boost by 20mph. Somehow, I managed to hold a lead all the way through 55mph where I had to shift into third and lost a lot of power in the large gap between gears. He kept gaining speed and pulled ahead of me with about 200 feet to go in our slowest-on-earth quarter mile.

I still have no idea what he was running, but it was something with throttle body injection (v8) and a th350, with a 3.0x rear end. Obviously not tuned for power, with a stock cam, and could have used a few more degrees timing advance. I'm surprised I held a lead 3/4 of the way down the line, I expected to be lit up worse than Charlee Sheen.

It was all balanced out because of the time I beat a 944 in my mini-van. But that's another story.

Ok, so about 4-5 years ago I thought Honda's were the sh"t because they were light and handeled well. Well I had a 2001? Honda civic with the usual, rims, coilovers, header, 3" exhaust(quit laughing), cold air, etc. I was on my way home from work and was merging on to another freeway. When I see this minivan obviously swerving through traffic to catch up. There was a loop coming up so I went up to about 80-90 through it. I quickly left her behind on the on ramp loop. Next thing I know she is riding my ass again. So I get over in the slow lane to let her pass. As she pulled up next to me her son riding shotgun flipped me off and she started laughing. So again thinking I'll show this minivan who's boss I throw it in 3rd and take off. Well, not really because she floored it and practically left me by five car lengths by 100. After that race I realized my car sucked, and would always suck. I soon after bought a 1996 300zx na, and quickly started winning the race against the soccer mom.

I remember one quite vividly...

I'm on the freeway in the Z taking the g/f out. This guy in a gold 350z pulls up next to me and just stays there. I look over and he's looking at me, and starts taking off. I proceed to downshift to 3rd (wow, everyone does that... ) and sink my foot into the throttle. I'm catching up to him!! Shift to fourth, and the head gasket blows. :(

g/f is freaking out cus my car sounds like a lawnmower on crack.

edit

what about the time I was getting ready to stage at the drags and my car all of a sudden turns off. This time its the fussible links. THEYRE LOOSE and i have to teach a 15.00s honda a 14.8s lesson.... noooo....

I pulled over, fixed it, and then i think i got stuck lining up with a Nova so loud that I couldn't concentrate on my launch.

what does no va mean in spanish again? ah yes...

Hi gents..

New guy here..but this thread caught me.

A long time ago..in a place..

1969..I had a '57 Vette that I shoe horned a L88 big block. Pretty much ruined a beautiful Vette. Eventually going nuts it had I beam axle..4.88 gears..had to cut out everything near the firewall as the big motor was both wide and tall. No heater..just big motor..tow Holleys stickin' out the hood. I was King Dick for awhile..at least I thought so..

Won everytime..could shut down and sandbag the usual 396s..Big block Novas..even the Hemis couldn't hang

One night..Chicago suburbs. That day Nick the moron decided what I NEEDED was tiny front tires.."just like 'dem REAL drag cars"..being young and stupid..done. So..

Some friends and I go out to test..as I was racing that Sunday. Coming down Golf road I see it.. The local Hemi Roadrunner..a delete everything..and modified street killer. I know I can deystroy it..I just know. But this airman has been braggin that lead up for weeks..

Two carloads of guys behind..one way ahead to spot.

Nice moon lit night..perfect..about 11PM..

We go...I pull three away immediate..smoke from those hard sidewall slicks everywhere..bang second pulling away..awesome..can feel that front end come light..that huge rat howlin' like the devil with his nuts in a vice..the Hemi has that deep mopar howl..fading well behind..

Hit third.."this is cake"..tires screaming....as..the..vette..starts..to slide the hell sideways..then a half donut..as I lose any contol from those stupid wheelbarrowF'ingtires.. we slide..I over correct..straighten..head right for a bridge abutment..

I've gone over the yellow..in front of the Hemi..slid back accross..over to onto the shoulder..now sliding at a nice rock wall.. We had gone into oncoming traffic at over 100..slid through two lane left..then two right..weaving an scrubbing off speed..with absolutely no steering..(stupid moron dick tires)

Somehow I (uh..IT) it catches..pull it straight..hit the throttle..and were clear..dum luck..should be road paste..just stupid dumb luck..just an accidental near death coincidence..

Uh..the police car that was behind us..

I got 7 tickets.. Eluding (uh..how can that be I never knew he was there)..competiton event..us ? no way..

Got arrested of course..the Hemi got away..as I also got a ticket for hindering/blocking a police officer in pursuit.

Now..last year. I take a motorcycle trip up to the White Mountains with friends here in AZ. An old friend..who I hadn't seen in 15 years or so..maybe more..was taking his daughter to New Mexico for college. He threw his 67 Bonnie in his van..we met up rode..had a great time..

That night sitting around the camp fire..drinking and swapin stories with friends..and drinkin some more..

He tells the story about that night in the Vette..I had forgotten it was him..I forgot all about thar night.

He's going on about that night..and how thankful he was I knew how to handle the car so well..huh ? I was racing SCCA (very early on..E Prods)..he's braggin up the skill and BS..

"Dam..amazing driving..I thought I was gonna' die".."It was all spinning around..and he (me !) was all cool about it"

Uh..Steve...I had nothing to do with it..We lived cause we were stupid..and stuff sometimes jus' happens.. I wasn't cool..I was just hangin on for the ride..

He almost puked..up until then he alwys thought I was in control..AND REALLY WAS BLOCKING to save the other dude from the cop..

ARE YOU KIDDING..!!

PS.

My dad worked for the city. Went to court..told some extremely stupid story about trying to get out of the cops way..and losing control becuse of the tires..

Judge (Woman) says.."son..that is the most incredible story i've ever heard in my X number if years on the bench" She gave me guiltu of Excess speed..a suspended (not revoked.!!!) license..and dismissed 6 tickets !

On the way out..I tell my Dad.."See I told you I wasn't guilty.."

Dad (Worked for the city 30 years).."Dam you're stupid"

Uh..I guess he new somebody..

And the Hemi dude..told everyone he won..Anus..

Hi gents..

New guys here..but this thread caught me.

A long time ago..in a place..

Too funny and I can relate.

I had wrecked my 65 Sunbeam Tiger' date=' broadsided by some housewife in a wooden clad Ford station wagon and had waited 6 weeks for its replacement. A week after I picked up my new car a buddy and I decided to go drinking, yeah stupid but it was the 60s and who knew driving and drinking was dangerous, LOL. He started bragging to people in the bar about how fast my Tiger was. Some dude come up, says he has a 390 Ford that will blow me away. I laugh and tell him no truck engine big ass Ford could take my Tiger and if I wasn't so drunk I'd show him. So of course a hour later and a few more beers I am sober! Let's go racing. There was a great drag race street in Cincinnati close to the bar so we headed over there and lined up. At the start signal we take off and this Ford totally blew me away instantly. OMG what is that thing? Well it turns out it was not a 390, it was a 7 liter limited addition NASCAR beast! So we decide to attempt a 60 mph kick down race hoping I can take him with my gears. I stayed right beside him until I hit 4th at just over 100. Not too sure what happened but I must have jerked the steering wheel when I grabbed 4th because the next thing I know we are spinning. On the third revolution I caught it to discover we never even changed lanes. I was shaking and felt like I was going to loose my lunch, my buddy was going "Cool man, do it again"! Dude thought I did that on purpose! The Ford guy pulled up and said "Your car isn't that fast but you're one hell of a driver". Who was I to deny it, I played along like I knew what I was doing. Side note: Six months later I wrecked that Tiger….drunk again. I finally learned the hard way about drinking and driving, fortunately nobody got hurt either time. But man, I loved that car.

[/size']

I was sixteen and on my first "real" date. I was in a very pretty car with a very pretty girl. We were just enjoying a nice windows down drive in the cool fall evening. I was hoping my impressive car (and my rugged good looks) would impress her enough to... well, you know.

I had a 1972 Firebird Formula 400 all stock, but well tuned. It had a 2.72 rear, but would slide sideways from a running start. I was proud of my car.

My girl and I were sitting at a red light when one of those Dodge Chargers with the funny-looking elongated nose pulled beside us... you know... the one with the outlandishly tall rear wing, orange and black. Anyway, his car was just shaking and rattling from the cam. His exhaust was popping like tin cans from the compression and whatever fuel he was running. He had rather large cheater slicks. I had never heard a street-driven car sound like a funnycar before and never have I heard another sound as mean since.

He looked at me and revs a couple times... the thing ramped up insanely fast, then came back to idle even faster.

He gave my girlfriend one of those evil grins that says, "Your boyfriend is a wuss". Well, now I was pi$$ed. I revved my 400 CI and gave him my best, "I'm gonna kick your A$$", look... it didn't work.

The light turned green, I stomped on the gas, the tires spin then bite hard and we took off. He just sat there for a second or so. Then I heard his engine roar... over mine!! He passed me like I was sitting still.

I took the beating in stride. But later that night my girl didn't... you know. I sometimes wonder how my life would be different had I won that race and if she would have... you know.