HybridZ

Chrome paint on the entire car

RacerX

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matchbox ornaments... yeah, dat's da' ticket!!

Okay - it seems this type of topcoat can be unique. I've sprayed wheels in mirror chrome which is similar to what is used on these vehicles. I am aware that Alsa Corp. is the company that manufactures such a product in the US. It's water base and quite expensive. It's a great basecoat for those wanting the ultimate "christmas ornament" look - would that be cool or what!!!

veritech - thanks for finding all those examples - wow!! didn't realize there were so many cars done in chrome.

RacerX

Davy is right. I suggest you check out in CA at least the CVC. There is a section restricting all chrome cars for street use. i.e., high/blinding glare factor. Show cars however, are listed under a different section. So, before you plunk down all that hard earned cash, do your homework. It will save you in the long run...

VAN

It figures that California would be forced to address the problem of chromed cars. Who else but those on the west coast...:icon56:

Davy is right. I suggest you check out in CA at least the CVC. There is a section restricting all chrome cars for street use. i.e., high/blinding glare factor. Show cars however, are listed under a different section. So, before you plunk down all that hard earned cash, do your homework. It will save you in the long run...

VAN

apparently the method of doing this chrome paint job requires varying thickness within a 6 stage paint method using a high gloss silver as a base coat, and a bunch of white paint layers overtop of it, while being buffed in between.

it's supposed to amplify the look of the silver underneath to a point where it reflects light so much that it looks chrome.

or something. it's on the chromebimmer or chrome m3 site. google works!

I asked a Texas State Troop friend of mine if it is legal to paint the car Chrome. He said you can paint the car any color you want, but if an officer feels that the paint color can be a risk for accidents for any reason they have the right to impound the car and not allow it on the road again in which case they can file a report with the DMV declaring the car un road worthy. Now this is simply up to the Officer to decide if they wish to do this or not. I asked my friend and he said that he would tell the driver they need to reduce the shine and reflection of the paint and limit their driving until that time. He also stated that if they gave him an attitude he would impound their car and they would not get it back. So at least you guys know in Texas it is up to the person that pulls you over and that you should be respectful to better your chances of keping your car.

Oh before I forget, if the car was in an accident there is a good chance that this might be cause for being at fault for the accident. He stated a Pick-up with a big chrome bumper was rear ended in an accident and the car that rear ended the truck claimed they were blinded by the reflection of the sun. The pick-up guy's insurance paid the repair costs on the other car.

In the early '90s a friend and I painted his Honda flat black with two chrome stripes along the hood, top of the car and along the trunk, pretty much 1 in front of the driver, one in front of the passenger. It looked pretty sharp.

We painted the hood stripes over because any light at all went straight into the driver's eyes. We left the roof and dulled the ones on the trunk.

Ben

If you like it, go for it. It SHOULDN'T MATTER what I or anyone else thinks. I've been joking about these looking like Hotwheels cars because I thought it was a funny thing to say. No offense intended. They do look like those chrome Hotwheels cars though:shock: :mrgreen:

somewhere in my box of stuff I've got a picture of a completely chromed 77 Pinto on a bronco chassis and big ole tires... I'll have to find it and post it up...

I personally have thought about the chrome paint but candy blue over top of it giving it an anodized effect... then looked at how $$$ that would be and kinda dismissed the idea