HybridZ

"PICTURES" What has old/young Thumper Been up too? Plus which car should I build next

Thumper

Long time no talk guys and one gal. I've poked my head in here once or twice mostly to remember what a good forum is like. Well i've sold all my z's but no worries i'm getting another one in a few months:) Lets see since last time I posted I have parted out my red 260z. Bought my old 280zx back from my friend, turboed it and made it fairly nice looking and fast (13.3@105). And sold that about a month ago. I just bought my self a 87' BMW 325. It has some paint oxidation and a bad center support bearing but other than that in great shape.

I've moved from Houston, Tx to Pittsburgh, Pa. I'm only up here for a few months before I go back. I'm getting some computer certifications up here and since my brother works for Microsoft I can get alot of deals on the books. I've installed two megsquirt systems on peoples car's and thats about it.

One thing that is frustrating me of late is I have tried three different bmw forums and not one has nearly the knowledge and professionalism of this forum. I've forgotten how bad it can be.:evil:

Ok here is the million dollar question. The BMW and I are growing on each other. I'm debating on which car I should make my track car the 325 or 240z? This would be a few solo II events but mostly full tracks. The BMW's can get as light as 1900lbs but mine would be closer to 2100 if I made it into a track car. They can get about 300-350hp (more if you push it) out of a stock block with a good power band and the tranny's can take what you want to throw at them. The rear-ends have 2.73lsd all way through to a 4.10lsd available. The only bad thing I can think of is that the exterior is alittle bit too perfect to strip the interior and make it a track car. Besides a few cracked plastic lens, some paint oxidation, and ONE small ding it is perfect. I think the bmw has a better suspension geometry but the z has better aerodynamics (I believe) and so on and so on.

Whats your input on this guys. BTW no matter what I will be building a z soon if not a track car then a Z-GAD copy drag car.:flamedevi

Here are few pics of the SOLD 280zx and BMW (there are more in my photo album). The BMW pics were taken by prior owner and don't reflect what i've done to it lately. (a.k.a. I don't like the way it looked stock :) )

car1_1.JPG

car4_1.JPG

car5_1.JPG

engine1_1.JPG

06_1.jpg

ee_1.jpg

a3_1.jpg

This might help...

I run a moderately prepared 1972 240Z on track days and in time trials...

I am chasing a friend of mine's BMW E-30.... We have both made gradual changes to our cars... at nearly the same times... We have run neck and neck.. My 240Z can pull away from him on a long straight.. but he corners and brakes better with more consistency...

This video was taken at Virginia International Raceway... North Course...

th_240ZE30350ZVIRNorthcourse.jpg

Our cars and my buddy Mark...

MarkCooperandourtoys.jpg

He has taken his a few steps further with coilovers and high$$$ struts...

...that the BMW might be a bit safer in a mishap on the track.

...and on the street...

I would keep the more comfortable car for the street if I had to drive it everyday in the commute (BMW) and the more 'fun' car for the track (Z). That's purely from my own experience. Age, enthusiam, and bright ideas aside lol.

Davy

Either way the the z car will never be a daily driver. It will be either the track car or a drag car if I make the bmw a track car. So its not either or for these guys. Just what one should I build into a track car. Although this is a kindof biased forum. Maybe I should ask on the bmw forum also?

How does one get an E30 BMW down to 1900 lbs? If I recall the specs correctly, a stock straight-6 E30 weighs around 2700 lbs.

In any case, this seems to be a classic debate: the more modern car (the BMW) has advantages in chassis stiffness and suspension geometry. The older car (the Z) is easier to strip and is more amenable to radical mods. I'd say that in a closely-regulated class, race the BMW. In a "run what you brung" class, race the Z.

posted by thumper: Although this is a kindof biased forum. Maybe I should ask on the bmw forum also?

Maybe you should check in on a Honda forum for a truly un-biased opinion :wink: My vote is for Z track car, bimmer DD. That bimmer will probably get real expensive real quick once you start racing it. I like both cars for racing, but if it was me I'd be tempted to road race the z. Unless you can find an M3 from that year for cheap, those box fender flares were the stuff!

How does one get an E30 BMW down to 1900 lbs? If I recall the specs correctly, a stock straight-6 E30 weighs around 2700 lbs.

In any case, this seems to be a classic debate: the more modern car (the BMW) has advantages in chassis stiffness and suspension geometry. The older car (the Z) is easier to strip and is more amenable to radical mods. I'd say that in a closely-regulated class, race the BMW. In a "run what you brung" class, race the Z.

Yeah I was skeptical also at first. There is a guy at 1851 and another at 1874 they both have roll cages. But from what I could tell the pictures are no longer hosted they are completely stripped. The e30 is kindof like the 280zx has lots of luxury stuff that is heavy. Heck no kidding there is 40-50lbs of sound deadening in the trunk. Its to help the weight distribution. Two layers all around inside the trunk. You can get another 40-50 by removing the sunroof and pot rivoting a lexan moon roof in its place, the seats are really heavy vinvyl 40 each I think, etc... Here are the weights of various parts.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8495&highlight=weight

Just about everyone else though is in high 2100's to low 2200's. But they aren't extreme like the two others.

Nice looking ZX. What are the specs on the 280zx that ran the 13.3? Is it the one in your sig? And I agree if the car runs good and is in good shape the bimmer would be a great daily driver

The specs are in my sig. It weighed 2870 without me in it. My 260z ran a 11.6 with same mods except holset turbo, drag radials, and 2450lbs. Do a search you should find it.