HybridZ

LT1 Died...no PCM when cranking

Bart,

Glad to hear your starting problems are over. But you don't know how hard it has been for me to read this thread and not make a snide comment.

Since you got er fixed I guess I now can say, "Get a Carb.":biggrin:

Hanns

I was waiting for you to say something...but I'm still happy with having all the sensors, fuel injection, and yes...even the optispark.

BTW - I'm going to keep buggin' you until you tell me when you're racing so I can show up.

Glad to hear you got it running. Weird that you could have two unrelated problems at the same time (fuel pump and opti spark).
I think the fuel problem wasn't what kept it from running. Although it appears that the fuel pump needed to be replaced, it wasn't bad enough to keep the engine from starting. The fuel pressure gauge that I installed to check my pressure had a small leak, so it made the problem look worse than it was. I was planning on keeping the gauge installed, but if I can't get it to stop leaking I'll have to leave it off.

Bart,

Congrats on finding and fixing the problem! I've been on pins and needles ever since you started this thread and wonder whether it deserves a sticky? Sounds like the opti is something of a weak link (as suggested by Mark way back on the first page...) and I'm calling this a cautionary tale for anyone with an LTx. The '95 Caprice engine going into my '48 Chevy allegedly has only 33K miles on it but I'm thinking of replacing its opti with a new after market piece and putting the oem unit away for a rainy day.

I also have to congratulate you for a v. sweet installation. The finished engine compartment looks show car clean but with all factory functions/sensors operational. An inspiration to us all!

Cheers -- Gary

Bart,

Congrats on finding and fixing the problem! I've been on pins and needles ever since you started this thread and wonder whether it deserves a sticky? Sounds like the opti is something of a weak link (as suggested by Mark way back on the first page...) and I'm calling this a cautionary tale for anyone with an LTx. The '95 Caprice engine going into my '48 Chevy allegedly has only 33K miles on it but I'm thinking of replacing its opti with a new after market piece and putting the oem unit away for a rainy day.

I also have to congratulate you for a v. sweet installation. The finished engine compartment looks show car clean but with all factory functions/sensors operational. An inspiration to us all!

Cheers -- Gary

Thanks Gary.

There are many resources out there with LT1 info, but while I was trying to debug my problem I found so many threads that would describe something similar to the problem I was experiencing...and end without a resolution. Hopefully anyone running into a similar problem will find this thread and get some useful information on what to check and what actually fixed the problem being reported.

I still think the opti gets blamed for issues that have nothing to do with it, but when the opti is the problem it is difficult to pinpoint. Hopefully I'll get plenty of good use out of the improved (and cheaper to boot) Accel opti.

I'm surprised how often I do searches on Yahoo for LT1 information and find a post here on HybridZ...sometimes my own threads.

:shock:

The fuel pressure gauge that I installed to check my pressure had a small leak, so it made the problem look worse than it was. I was planning on keeping the gauge installed, but if I can't get it to stop leaking I'll have to leave it off.

You must be kidding? You have a mechanical fuel pressure guage in the cockpit of the car? Tell me I'm reading this all wrong.

You must be kidding? You have a mechanical fuel pressure guage in the cockpit of the car? Tell me I'm reading this all wrong.

Yikes!! That is a scary thought. I had a mechanical oil pressure guage come apart in my Sunbean Tiger, what a mess but at least it didn't explode!

Thanks for completing the posting. Maybe opti’s are blamed a lot but it seems that if you have any amount of miles on one you are better off replacing it as it will probably be a pita sooner than later. Your problem has taught me a lot…

I agree but replacing one of those things isn't like pulling a distubutor. Personally I don't think GM thought that one through. I will certainly replace mine before I install my LT1.